HybridZ

The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

• Administrators

:lmao:

An LSx was the plan all along, even before I started looking for one. :wink: Can't just let this LSx and T-56 I was building up for the Z-32 sit in the shop and do nothing... It wont be as nice or as fast as Aziza's, Vinh's, Evilc's etc, LSx conversions, but it should be fun.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the purchases guys. Have owned a '97 M3 coupe for a couple of years now and still smile when I get behind the wheel. The 3.2L has just that much more low-end torque to make it a nice around-town driver. I live religously by the vacuum/mpg gauge and average about 27mpg all-around. Would be even nicer if it had 1 more gear.

13967_thumb.attach

WOW!

Enjoy Braap. Hopefully you don't enjoy the sound of the straight six at 7k too much. Otherwise you won't put the farmyard tractor engine in and we wont see that beautiful straight six in the s30.:)

Do I sound biased to which engine I like. HA.

Hey Drax, I'm curious as to what you think of the car now a week or so later? The GF has always been drawn to the e36 bimmer's but I have always said the maintinence/reliability was a big no-no.

Am I totally off the mark on that one? I can't say I've ever seen a bmw in any of the wreckers that are local, but I guess I haven't been looking too hard.

How are these as dailies (325's, m3's are way out of our price range)? I've always loved their styling but shyed away due to maintinence cost rumors.

LSx conversion don't count Braap :P

• Administrators

My testament, (take it at face value, nothing more).

My '97 M3 just turned over 189,000 miles on the drive home from purchasing it. Mechanically it runs, drives, feels as though it has no more than 20,000 on the clock! No hiccups, no chuck engine light, doesn’t smoke on start up, trans is by far the smoothest slickest trans I have ever shifted. I’ll be honest. It runs so nice that I’m having a real hard believing the engine and trans have that many miles.

From 100 feet away, the car looks fine. Up close the 189,000 miles shows. :wink:

If you are going to get and E-36, this pre-purchase checklist is wonderful! Print this out!

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/kb-e36-common-faults-faq.php

This is wonderful FAQ for newb E-36 owners;

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311638

I also strongly advise these 2 books. They have been SOO helpful… The 101 performance projects is not just performance upgrades, but great DIY how to fix it book! (I recently purchased 5 BMW 3 series books including the Bentley Books BMW E-36 service manual, and the 101 projects book has been the most helpful, next to the service manual)

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-E36-Service-Manual-1992-1998/dp/0837603269/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242093662&sr=1-1

71X61RQM5FL._SS500_.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Projects-1982-2000-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760326959/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242093662&sr=1-2

9780760326954.jpg

These books are also nice for gaining a more in-depth knowledge into these cars, background, specs, dimensions, sales figures, model variations, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-3-1991-1999-Graham-Robson/dp/1899870482/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242093662&sr=1-3

51Grr65Aj3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Buyers-Guide-Fred-Larimer/dp/0760310998/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242093662&sr=1-4

0760310998.jpg

Hey Drax, I'm curious as to what you think of the car now a week or so later? The GF has always been drawn to the e36 bimmer's but I have always said the maintinence/reliability was a big no-no.

Am I totally off the mark on that one? I can't say I've ever seen a bmw in any of the wreckers that are local, but I guess I haven't been looking too hard.

How are these as dailies (325's, m3's are way out of our price range)? I've always loved their styling but shyed away due to maintinence cost rumors.

LSx conversion don't count Braap :P

So far so good. I could use a bit more headroom, but I am hoping a swap to sport seats will give me another 1/4" or so.

As for parts: http://www.bimmer-parts.ca/

They are located close to me, but they'll ship to Calgary, and they are a really great resource. I've bought tons of stuff off them over the years.

Maintenance: I find Bimmers extremely easy to work on, much like the Z a way. Yes there are more electronics to deal with, but I don't mind that. The general layout and mechanical design is well thought out, accessible, robust, and performs well. Again, reminds me of the Z. ;)

If you are able to do the basics yourself (brakes, waterpump, belts, tuneup etc) I wouldn't sweat the maintenance costs at all. Parts are relative, but for the E36 non-M-series they are pretty reasonable in my opinion. Then again, I'm not one to buy genuine BMW parts unless absolutely needed, and if they are I'll often buy used. It all depends on what your maintenance plans are.

:D Nice machines, NO?

Congrats Richard and Paul!

It seems we all want or end up with one of these things, once we learn of how nice they are to drive.

My story:

I was 18, and a buddy got a good job and asked me (the car guy among us) what car I'd buy if I came into a bit of $$$$. I said 325i.

So, almost 30 years later, I get myself a Bimmer.

A month ago, I became tired of having to constantly throw money and time at my 91 Galant VR-4 daily driver. The Z had become the daily driver a few too many times as the VR-4 was down and out... Driving the Z in the pouring rain with 2/32" of tread on the Toyo RA-1s was scary - I've been waiting to put tires on my "dry weather car" until a track event is in sight. But I had to pull the Z out for DD duty and we had many rainy days while I had to do that...

So I said to myself " Self, why not help the dying US car makers out, buy a new US made car, get the tax break on it, the discount and low financing, and get something new and reliable. I looked at the Challenger (love the looks until I'm up on one - too big!) and the back seat would NOT work for my 15year old 6'1" tall son who is STILL growing. Drove a Pontiac G8 GXP - fun car, but the steering response was too dead for people to be saying it was like an M5. $40K and 0% financing or $37K and my own financing. Too much. You'd think they'd be dealing on these but they aren't. They let me walk when I offered $36K and 0%. Glad they did!...

Drove down the street, and even though it was now raining, decided to check out that Challenger - not enough room in the back seat. I have two tall kids that keep getting taller. Drove a Charger R/T R package and was surprised that I actually liked it. Sideways down Route 355 in Gaithersburg MD in the rain with the ESP switch off :).

That was a 2008 they wanted $30K for. I'd lose probably $5K driving it off the lot.

Now for years, I've been saying I wanted a 3 series with M3 suspension and an LS swap. But I found that the back seat wouldn't work for my tall kids. Always thought the 5 series was too big - but it's only 4 inches wider and longer than the 91 Galant VR-4, which is kind of small by today's sedan standards.

So, I was talking about this on a car-guy email list and one of the old salts told me to consider a used E39 5 series, a 535, 540, or if I had $30K to burn, an M5.

Little did I know there are nut cases out there that have 2000-2003 M5s in PRISTINE condition with low miles, and they go from $20-30K. Remember, this car was $70K back in 2000, and the car mags gushed all over it as a C5 Vette and 911S beating luxury sedan.

I didn't realize what an M5 really was. But researching it and driving one has opened my eyes - its more car than I ever need just commuting!

I agree with Richard (Drax) - no boring DD cars. I've had an Eclipse GSX (1G) and then the Galant VR-4 for the last 18 years as daily drivers. I like the handling and the power when the ECU doesn't decide to pull the timing out of it. Hate how the A/C drags the engine down around town. I decided that with my short commute (1 mile, no joke, then 3 miles to get the kids from my ex's house) that gas mileage was not a big deal - so cubes it would be.

Back to the BMW story - I found one this weekend - 2000 M5 with 42,000 miles, perfect condition - it looks absolutely brand new. No wear anywhere. I will not have to replace this car for probably 20 years, as I drive maybe 4-5K a year. lowered suspension, sway bars, strut tower braces. Headers, hi-flow cats and mufflers, chipped to about 440hp at the crank. New tires, clutch, flywheel. Tasteful appearance mods you wouldn't know about if you didn't really know the car. I paid a good bit less than I was going to pay for a new Pontiac or Chrysler to boot!

It's silver, not the Lemans Blue I wanted, but I had to grab it. Glenn McCoy (BMW expert who has that Daytona Cobra replica with the 383 SBC) went with me and basically said that if I wanted one of these cars, and was willing to pay, this was the car to get. I agreed and did the deed.

I go to pick it up Wed afternoon. Pretty stoked!

(Did I just hijack another thread? I think Paul dared me too. LoL)

No way man! I picked up a E39 528iT (wagon) for the wifey, and love it. If I was only to have 1 car, money no object, an M5 would be my choice. I don't think there is a more well rounded automobile in existence to be honest.

I love to drive, it's fun for me, it's stress relief, it's a passion. Never again will I have a daily driver that bored me, it just takes too much out of life. So I am paying more in gas, I'll gladly do that to have a smile on my face during my commute. :)

Veeeery interesting! Thanks for the opinions guys, I'll definitely keep these in mind when looking for the next daily.. I'm moving to Victoria come January Drax, so the whole shipping deal won't be much of a problem ;)

Braap, those Bentley books are awesome. I've got one for my current daily (90 Jetta) and I'd be totally lost without it. They're not quite as good as the factory service manual I've got for the Z, but hey I can't complain for around $50.

If I was only to have 1 car, money no object, an M5 would be my choice. I don't think there is a more well rounded automobile in existence to be honest.

I agree 110%. I've actually pondered selling all my cars & buying an E39 M5 several times.

Since everybody is sharing their Bimmers...

This is my E36:

n1282269282_30150291_1018.jpg

n1282269282_30146448_6603.jpg

and my Saab 900SE Turbo

n1282269282_30146444_4893.jpg

I think the bad rep. for reliability comes from those that pay dealer prices and buy BMW parts... If the car breaks down once in 5 years and you need to take it to the dealer, it's going to hurt paying those rates! Even once is too often. ;)

Of course, if you are doing it yourself, it's not much different than any other car.

hey guys, long time lurker but i dont talk much here. anyways i have a 94 325i convertible and i absolutely love it. HOWEVER! e36's do have problems!wet ecu, damaged rear shock mounts.....when your top gets stuck and happens to be the only convertible that wont reset...water pump.etc but mine has 174,000 on the clock and it drives wonderfully. these cars are sexy and well built. except the 318ti. lol

Congrats to all the happy new owners of BMWs!

I bought a 1992 325is about 5 years ago; had 110K miles then, and about 190K miles now. Reliability has been moderately good; only major repair was the clutch throwout bearing. However, I have low standards; as minor electrical components and interior trim fail, I just ignore them. These cars make decent highway cruisers, suffering from the usual drawbacks of cars in their teenage years… road noise is getting harsh, air conditioning is wheezy, stereo is failing, clearcoat is flaking off, shocks need to be replaced, and so forth. One gets what one gives.

My main complaint on this car is the lack of low-end torque. Long-time HybridZ members know that I’m a lazy and unskilled driver, who would rather cart and whine than strive for self-improvement, and therefore I should probably be driving a diesel pickup with a slushbox…. but that said, on the 1992 325is (before VANOS and all those midrange torque augmentation bits) you really have to whale on the rpms to get the car moving. Handling, however, is almost as good as the hype.

My second complaint is the rather mediocre mileage. Even in lazy highway cruising, 25 mpg is about the upper bound. In urban stop-and-go traffic, you’re looking at under 20 mpg. For a 3000 lb car with a rated 189-hp engine, this is poor mileage.

Late 1990’s M3s are really coming down in price. The local Craig’s List has a 1999 M3 for $7500. Not having much need for transporting passengers, what would most interest me is the BMW M-coupe – basically the hard-roof version of Mike Kelly’s erstwhile heartthrob. I like their aesthetics and interior layout. But these cars are probably rarer than even M5’s, and carry a hefty premium.