HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

Hi, I have had my Subi LSD in for a few months now and its great.

However my LSD is a 3.9 I think. I did a bit of a search but I can't see anyone that talks about swapping the Subi LSD centre into a datsun R180?

Has anyone tried to swap the Subi LSD centre into a datsun R180?

I know I will still need the subi side shafts I got from JohnC but I want the 4.6 ratio from my old diff. any ideas?

No. I have not tried that swap.

I did do some simple research on that once though. Company's such as Quaife that manufacture replacement LSD carriers have separate part numbers for the 240z R180 and the Subaru STi R180 as well as different price tags. If the carriers were the same they would not use two part numbers.

I vaguely remember finding the bolt patterns of the different ring gears and making a mental note that the 240z R180 and the STi R180 have different bolt patterns.

This brings up the thought, "Could a machinist safely modify one to fit in the other?" I'm not a machinist.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angzt

Can someone please verify the Subaru P/N's for the half shaft bolts and washers..? and any other hardware I may need?

I have these BetaMotorsport stub axles along with the Wolf Creek CV Axle Kit... and 2005 STi differential 3.9

All meant for a Datsun 510

Thanks!

Guest angzt

I was just looking for some clarification

If you read through the thread everyone is buying different P/N's

From what I've read, only the bolts were verified to be 38228-21000 .. what nut and washer is compatible?

Thanks

Can someone please verify the Subaru P/N's for the half shaft bolts and washers..? and any other hardware I may need?

I have these BetaMotorsport stub axles along with the Wolf Creek CV Axle Kit... and 2005 STi differential 3.9

All meant for a Datsun 510

Thanks!

I was just looking for some clarification

If you read through the thread everyone is buying different P/N's

From what I've read, only the bolts were verified to be 38228-21000 .. what nut and washer is compatible?

Thanks

The Subaru uses CV joints and splined shafts. Their "half-shaft" does not "bolt" together.

The bolts and nuts that you want are a Datsun / Nissan part. To be specific, the bolts used on the inboard side are no longer available. The part number mentioned earlier in this thread is for the outboard side.

We have not tried to use the "outboard" bolt on the "inboard" side. We have not yet found a new replacement. We feel somewhat stuck here, but, we haven't tried very hard either. Unfortunately, the answer does not seem clear. If your old bolts look good, maybe you should try them. Personally, I would prefer new hardware though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OMG-510

Can anyone say whether these side axles will enable me to bolt a kaaz/cusco LSD meant for an sti into my datsun r180 K housing?

Edited by OMG-510

• 5 weeks later...

I finally ordered all the hardware from Nissan. The D-sided bolts took the longest to arrive.

Too bad nothing fits!

D-Side Bolt P/N 38228-21000

dsc03593x.jpg

Hex Bolt P/N 39628-E4100

dsc03594k.jpg

Washer P/N 08915-2401A

dsc03591.jpg

Washer too small, will not fit over shank.

dsc03595d.jpg

The shank of both bolts is too thick, will not fit through. Do I tap it in????

dsc03597v.jpg

I finally ordered all the hardware from Nissan. The D-sided bolts took the longest to arrive.

Too bad nothing fits!

]

The shank of both bolts is too thick, will not fit through. Do I tap it in????

dsc03597v.jpg

Its designed to be a tight press fit. Yes you need to tap or pres sit it.

• 2 months later...

We finally installed our STi LSD into our 240z. Was so easy it practically jumped in while stood there and watched.

I had said once that I would document the process and post it here Well, I forgot to take pictures, but that would be redundant anyhow 'cause others have done it already. I will confirm the process and the ease of this "conversion" though.

I bought a used 06 Subaru STi (not WRX) Limited Slip Differential (LSD). This is a clutch type with four pinions and 27 spline output shafts.

I bought the conversion output shafts from John Coffee.

I bought the all the seals and gaskets needed to reseal the LSD.

I bought new bolts that fit the outboard side of the axle-shaft. These are the hex-head bolts, not the D-head head.

I removed the stock R180 from the 240z and then cleaned the outside of everything.

I removed the input flange from both R180 diffys. I put the 240z flange on the STi LSD along with a new seal.

I used a hydraulic press to press the new hex-head bolts in. They fit perfect and the hex has enough surface area to keep the bolt from turning while you tighten the nut.

I replaced the two side seals on the LSD and popped the new output shafts in.

I put the inspection cover and the new gasket on.

There are a few other O-Rings that I also replaced.

I forgot to get a new plastic breather and had to use the old cracked breather. (Note to self: go to Dad's and turn a new breather from aluminum stock.)

I installed the Subaru LSD into the 240Z, tightened all the bolts and filled it with the recommended fluid.

I took the car for a test drive and ate lunch.

It was that quick and that easy. Most of the "I" was actually "we", my brother and I. Before we installed the LSD, we bench tested it to see where the clutches broke at. Real close to fifty pounds if we tested it correctly.

The test drive included town driving, twisty canyons and the highway. We did a full lock turn (complete circle) in a parking lot at very low speed. No hopping or chirping. In the canyons the rear-end broke loose under hard acceleration. The before drive in this same canyon would only spin the inside tire and the rear-end stayed on track.

The one thing that is somewhat of a concern to us now is that there is a noticeable amount of read-end whine. I know that the 240Z has a reputation for having a noisy rear-end, but ours was never noisy before this. I don't have any reason to suspect that our Subaru LSD is worn out, it looks and feels tight. Has anybody else experienced this gear whine?

Our cost in this is somewhat minimal actually.

$200 STi LSD

$500 Output shafts

$ 40 Seals

$ 40 Bolts, Oil and other incidentals

----------

Less than $800 for a stock looking LSD.

Our thanks to John and everybody else that helped to make this a painless upgrade.

There was a thread about whine from the R180 STi differential. I just want to say I did the swap using John's adapters and there has been no noise coming from our STi 3.90 R180. We've been doing a number of 'shake-down' runs on the car without any issues. Very solid feel with the LSD.

post-1627-050611000 1291590571_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an easy way of telling the year of a diff, I've found a brand new sti r180 lsd diff for my side axles but the seller doesn't know what year its from.

No. The older units had a gold or silver sticker on them with all that info. The newer unit don't. You will need to pull the inspection cover and look inside. Count the splines in the output shaft holes. There should be 27 splines to match the output shafts you bought from John. If it's got 27 splines and the gearing you want, the type of Limited Slip you want, and 4-pinions; does the year really matter? They all use the same seals and gaskets.

Oh ok, i just thought that it had to be a 04 or 05 diff to use the axles, I'm pretty keen on this diff though just because its brand new and its only a few hundred more than a used over here in Australia. I guess if its the wrong one I can always just sell it again.

Edited by mossy74