HybridZ

Heavyweight Bout: RB26dett VS. LS1

After much research, I am going to throw this out there... What's a better swap for the Z32, the RB26dett or LS1???

Both will require custom mounts, costs about the same (used motor), weigh about the same & both have a strong aftermarket following.

RB26dett +:

- Little-to-no firewall fabriation required

- Retention of Z32 trans (with RB25 bell housing), OEM gauges, HVAC

LS1 +:

- 2x+ the displacement, 6 speed trans

- Cheaper in the long run (debatable?)

- More of a direct swap (#'s match, all OEM, etc)

Goals for the car:

- Sub $5,000 swap (not including labor)

- 500 whp+

What do you guys think?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally look at it like this. The japanese engines have unknown miles. With the american engines, more than likely the original owner will post the original mile on the engine and if you ask you can see pics of the odo to be sure. The american engine has the torque down low and holds power all the way up. The japanese engines that I've drove/ been in were all hp up top. Some may say that the japs get better gas mileage but how true is that if you have to rev it higher to get to the same speed as the american? I've read corvettes with ls1's getting 25-28mpg easy driving. Maybe the japanese engine can do that I'm not sure.

I would personally go with the ls1. I like american power and japanese styling. Unfortunatly I have limited funds so I'm going with a lt1 and if money permits later, I'll sell the lt1 and opt for an ls1. I think I'm going to try to keep my z32lt1 under 2 grand doing all the work myself.

LOL!

Turbo + Displacement = Still no replacement for displacement!

I am considering this as well. I figured to reach the 500 whp mark with the LS1, I would need a big cam, tune and 100 shot at a minimum... or turbo setup. This member actually fabbed up a really clean manifold that would also help with header clearance issues:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=141520&highlight=turbo+ls1

I know the block is aluminum, but I would assume it would hold up 10 psi of boost without much trouble (still have to do more reading on LS1 builds...) ;)

This thread is definitely leaning towards the LS1, anyone wanna play RB-devil's advocate???

I vote for the LS1, the aftermarket is there and as mentioned earlier you can get an accurate history. Also think when the last RB26 rolled off the assembly line......... They still make brand new crate LS1's.

Sub $5,000 swap, 500whp, and RB26DETT just don't go together.

The RB26 is a great engine... and it's the one I would go for... but you won't be in your budget, specially if you do things "right."

Amorfin,

It looks like you've studied the RB forums... how much would a 500 whp RB26 cost ya think? Say the long block was $2,500...

Any LS1 folks care to join? Please chime in! :mparty:

Let's just pretend you can get a good condition RB26 longblock for $2,500 then.

RWD Transmission will run you 1,000-1500... depending on what you do.

To get to 500whp you will need:

Engine management

Bigger Turbos

Bigger Injectors

Intercooler

BOV

Boost controller

If you can get all of the above for $1,000... you might be close and do it with 5k just as you wished.

Then the things that the forums usually don't tell you will pop up, and once you take care of the oil pan, clutch, and replace things here and there (water pump, oil pump, timing belt, etc.) you will be over the 5k, assuming you don't have to spend money on mounts, since you will need custom with either engine.

But realisticly, a good and tested RB26 (R33) w/ RB25 transmission will run 4,500 and up.

I think getoffmyinternet did one of the cheapest RB26 swaps you'll see. He spent 3k on engine and transmission and 4,400 on the swap. That's not counting anything else needed to be done to the car. And he is well under 500whp.

TURBO = The replacement for displacement

NOICE!

I find it's more worth it when people say wow after finding out you have an RB! RB is just more fun! I like the ls1, but someday I'll get a corvette and then it will make more sense.

P.S. Don't turbocharged engines often have to compete in 2.5 times higher displacement classes or something like that? So in that case I think mathematically speaking 2.6>5.7 :P

I count atleast 3 different Rb guys including myself saying LS1... thats should say something.

Your looking at 10K plus to have a good built rb26 500 + rwhp. that is not a joke

BTW i did mine 10 years ago in japan before the rb26 started getting real popular and it still cost me close to 10K. that was using a stock rb26,r33 tranny ect ect

I count atleast 3 different Rb guys including myself saying LS1... thats should say something.

Your looking at 10K plus to have a good built rb26 500 + rwhp. that is not a joke

BTW i did mine 10 years ago in japan before the rb26 started getting real popular and it still cost me close to 10K. that was using a stock rb26,r33 tranny ect ect

That does say something! I guess I always thought of RB's (Skylines) as 'bullet-proof' and to have virtually limitless tuning possibilies... I guess that comes at a price!

I do like the LS1 idea too - simply because the Z32 is a porker and I'd prefer to go forwards rather than backwards in terms of displacement...

Did you guys see this by the way??

rb26completet.jpg

$42,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS RB26 2.8L Complete Base Engine

Specifications Engine: RB26DETT N1,HKS 2.8L Kit

Piston: HKS Step 2 (88mm)

Con-rods: HKS H-shape

Crankshaft: HKS Step 2

Studs: TOP SECRET

Ported: Fully done by TOP SECRET

Polished: Fully done by TOP SECRET

Camshaft: HKS 272/272 Step 2

Valve Springs: TRUST

Valve: Standard

Valve Guide: Standard

Oil Pump: TRUST Big Capacity

Oil Sump: TRUST Big Capacity with baffled.

Head Gasket: HKS t=1.2mm

Power Rating: Engine capability is 800-850ps.

Rev Limit: 8,500rpm

Blasphemy! :P

Now that it's more popular, I would think it to be cheaper, at least aftermarket parts wise. But even in japan it cost you that much? 8O

I must admit I kinda don't like at all how they are becoming more popular, largely because, even though I didn't see the movie, I suspect fast and furious or whatever is to blame. It's being downplayed, and I like having a somewhat rare car with a somewhat rare engine!

So are you saying you're regretting the swap, or just if you were a newbie today you would go ls1? I suppose it's okay to look back and think an ls1 would have been easier... I mean ten years wow, by that time I'm sure the buzz has worn off and you forgot how much fun all the sweat was, nothing is too glorious to never get sick of. I bet you'd miss it though huh? I miss my jeep, what a fun first car. ;)