HybridZ

Power steering vs. Manual steering

With the v-8 I would go power, More weight over wheels make it harder to turn. There is electric power steering that is quite good and saves the power that a belt might rob.
I never knew that they had a electric power steering please, i would like to here more about this type of power steering

In an S130 I wouldn't consider the electric PS. From what I have gathered there is considerable modification involved in installing it. The S130 came from the factory with a very satisfactory PS system. The fabrication required to mate it to a V8 is peanuts compared to installing an electric system.

Now for us S30 guys, who never got PS from Nissan, it's a different story.

• 1 year later...

for shear feel and control...go manual, and ofcourse its lighter, im not gonna argue a number, but weight is weight. Then again the 79s are the lightest zx's and the only ones with manual steering (that i know of) But theres also less pieces (less to replace/again MORE weight) from the power rack vs manual.

Lets just say i swapped my old 80 stroker zx from power to manual, and i have an extra manual rack laying around for myself or someone else that appreciates it. Also im 5 10 and 140-150#s....it doesnt take that much to turn a damn wheel you pansies...and remember a v8 with aluminum heads is lighter than the stock L6 and with most kits, sits back to the firewall for a better distribution/takes weight off the front of the car and shifts it back some. Not to mention big wheels/tires make it harder to turn a wheel vs more motor/weight up front.

After the local Nissan dealer told me the price for the high pressure hose for my stock PS, I decided to go the electric route. I'm using the system from a Cobalt. The power assist motor is on the steering column under the dash and doesn't interfere with the legroom. It is connected to a Jaguar power rack, and the first trial (sitting in the garage) it seems to work well. Of course my car is a Z31, so it probably doesn't matter.

post-249-000101100 1298833234_thumb.jpg

post-249-002946200 1298834123_thumb.jpg

Actually, there's more to it than just the cost at the dealer. First there aren't many Z31s or for that matter, JYs around these parts.

Second, the electric system doesn't weigh any more than the stock one, and the weight is further back. Weight probably doesn't matter to some but every pound and its location is important in my build. That's why there is a Kevlar/carbon fiber one piece front clip is in the works. And best of all, there is no chance that I'll wake up some morning to find a puddle of electricity under the car.

Edited by Chaparral2f

How are you figuring this? I would have guessed 10 or 12 lbs for the pump, the lines, and the power rack.

It is just from memory, I have shipped 3 complete power setups; rack, crossmember, pump, lines, and pulley, in addition to one non power setup. I may be confusing the power rack figures with that of the recuiculating ball system (that thing is heavy), but it is definitly more than 10lbs. Hell, theres probably 3 lbs of fluid in there.