HybridZ

black dragon automotive tension rods

Has anyone used the solid ball and socket rod kit from black dragon? It says it replaces the bushings with an aluminum ball and socket, I was just wondering if anyone had tried it.

Here's a link http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.aspx?Page=47

Descent product. I've had them on my 260 for a few years now with no problems.

Way better than stock.

They were also sold by the above mentioned company.

Before installing a set of TechnoToy TC rods, I replaced my teflon TC sets once a year due to failure of the ball.

They may seem to still be working but once you look under the cover you'll find a chewed up piece of teflon.

They were also sold by the above mentioned company.

Before installing a set of TechnoToy TC rods, I replaced my teflon TC sets once a year due to failure of the ball.

They may seem to still be working but once you look under the cover you'll find a chewed up piece of teflon.

Was wondering . . . do those put a lot of strain on your frame rails? I've heard of the rails cracking because there is no give between the TC rods and the frame rail connections.

I used to have the same setup on my 240sx and LOVED the feel, and plus you can adjust the wheel back or forward a little bit as well. ( Great for our Z's cause some peoples wheels hit the front air dam !!)

Loadings in compression are not that big a deal.

If you hit something with the road wheel hard enough to damage the frame, you've bent the TC rod into a "U" anyway.

I have a 240Z that is 3/8" shorter on the left side than the right. Door gap is less than 0.020" front and back---had just the situation I mention above---hit HARD and compressed the frame backwards. The whole car flexed because that section of the frame rail is so stout!

The Firewall flexed so far the back of the throttle linkage for the SU's popped out!

I've got them on my 73, but when they go together again, they will have a real ball-socket type arrangement like VA engineering makes, or something with a heim joint on it (is that what Techno Toys sells?).

Really deflecting the bushings isn't the most precise way to do it, and it can screw with the spring rate of the wheel drooping. A ball or heim let's it pivot freely and doesn't affect suspension movement. Just my .02

Here is a link to their page regarding the TTT TC rods . .

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=668

Here is some picstures of them . .

tcr_02.jpg

tcr_01.jpg

They look pretty beefy if you ask me, and from what I hear they have great customer service. I have yet to buy from them tho . . . I'm waiting to make my decision on the rear end conversion they make. :wc:

(Sorry to thread jack:hijack: if that's what I did.)

This requires the use of one of the two stock rubber bushings on each side. Anyone see a problem with using this kit along with poly bushings? I know you're not suppose to use two poly bushings because of the rigidity that it causes.

Don't know if the flexing allowed with the ball and socket would be enough to keep things from being to rigid, as the two poly bushing setup would be.