HybridZ

Catalytic converter to cure fumes?

280Z Turbo

Try one out. For $100, it’s not much of a gamble. I’ve had mine in my Z for 6 years and 20,000 miles, and I’ve done track days and probably 200 drag runs and it’s holding up fine so far. If it crapped out tomorrow, I’d gladly shell out another $100 for a replacement. Everyone that I’ve come across who’s tried one has been happy with the results.

Nigel

That's not a lot of driving for that lifetime. Most cars in CA with Daily Driven "Cheapo Cats" are dead within that mileage, or shortly thereafter.

Then again, are you actually monitoring your emissions, or is it 'smell predicated'?

In CA, the days of the reasonably priced Catalyst Replacement are over now, due to the terrible overall performance of the 'universal replacement catalysts' --- now you must have a California Certified Catalyst put onto a vehicle. Or prove it was installed before the cutoff date (they do check). It made sense to me, as OEM's have to make 100K mile catalysts, and give a 10yr warranty, but aftermarket vendors had no criterion governing manufacture of the product.

Anybody considering placing a catalyst on their vehicle should take a long an hard look at the exhaust gas O2 content, along with HC and CO. A five gas analysis on a rolling road will give you good information.

All I'm saying is make SURE the car is running correctly BEFORE slapping a cat up under it. That it's got decent AFR's and proper O2 content out the tailpipe. Converters were designed around specific HC and CO percentages (3% MAX CO comes to mind)...Too much HC and that thing glows cherry red, and your floor starts smoking if not outright bursting into smouldering nylon flames! (ask me how I know this...)

Maybe you're used to it? Smokers don't seem to notice how much cigarette smoke smells or how sick it's making them either. BTW, I'm not trying to imply that YOU are a smoker. I've no idea if you are or not. I'm just trying to make a point.

Nigel

I drive the car once every1-2 weeks so I doubt I got used to it. I still smell it but I dont think it is very bad. My 79zx I had full exhaust and stunk really badly!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

failing shifter boot replacement really helped with the exhaust fumes in my '73....but having said that I'm installing a cat in my car to try and get through emissions testing requirements for collector's plates.

failing shifter boot replacement really helped with the exhaust fumes in my '73....but having said that I'm installing a cat in my car to try and get through emissions testing requirements for collector's plates.

Seriously, I have to ask a question here because this mentality is confounding me: Are the requirements in BC so stringent that they are making you pass MODERN emissions levels to get your 'collector plates'? This is the only eventuality that I would see to require fitment of a catalyst to 'pass emissions'---even in the state of California with notoriously stringent limit levels (a recent example cited: 4% CO in one state, same car in CA was allowed 1.5% CO, 400PPM HC and only 220ppm in CA), you still should pass using the OEM Equipment in the car from time of manufacture.

Does the intellectual exercise involved tell anybody else slapping a cat on a car to pass emissions which uses empirical testing data as the pass-fail criteria smack of band-aid, and denote the logical and quick failure of the installed catalytic device?

Subjective criteria like 'cabin smells' is one thing, but hard testing data... for a 73? This was a car which never had a catalyst, and shouldn't need one to pass. Non-USA Specs for a 73 are HUGE you could drop gasoline on a pan over the exhaust manifold with an eyedropper and have a throttled opening aspirating the vapors and still pass! (Well, that may be an exaggeration...)

Or is this a converted car with a later engine which once was catalyzed and now is only residing in a 73 Chassis?

Didn't we just cover this topic??? Seems like we need to have a Smog Specific section or something.

To the OP - Consider vortex generators? Might look dumb to some, but I bet they'd help at least partially for ANYONE having fume smell issues in the cabin. Combined with the logical longer tail pipe you should be able to get those gases under control. Now, if you're smelling the car in the drive through that's a whole different issue, and is partially part of life.

Edited by Gollum