HybridZ

Audi eat your heart out! - LED lights

cygnusx1

that is a very cool mod! I like looking at the inside-mount and the bottom-mount.

top-side would look to anime, and outside looks too cutesie for me. i guess it makes it look like a cute lady. lol

I love the look! I think someone else up here did something similar with those LED light strips

The Z IS a cute lady. My woman and I, have a 15yr age difference but she sure did age well :mrgreen:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow illegal to run with parking lights? Another senseless law. Conflicting laws even! In Italy, some cars have a switch to turn on the lights on the street side of the car so that when you park for a quick moment, the side of your car is visible to the street traffic.

I bet they would look even better with tinted covers. They are VERY bright when you look at them directly. I have them pointing straight up into the headlamp due to the way I taped down the strips. If you point them right at your eyes, they actually blind you.

Wow..that *really* looks great! Questions:

1) The self adhesive backing are you worried about it peeling off over time?

2) These LEDs are stuck to the outside of the headlight - right? On other words if you did not have the headlight covers it would be open to moisture and the elements etc.

Very cool and yes...Audi "take that!"

Yasin

The adhesive seems fairly strong but I don't know how weather resistant the glue is. It's 3M brand adhesive backing. Certainly water proof. The entire strip is made of clear silicone or some clear polymer. All of the lights and electrics are completely molded inside the polymer strip. I'm sure you could dip the strips in water. The only part that might be vulnerable would be the very end where the wires are soldered. That end is covered with shrink tube and could easily be further sealed with a dab of sealant.

The solder joints are pretty weak because the wires are super thin. Try not to flex the end where the wires are connected too much. I broke a solder joint trying to stuff the shrink tubing between the chrome ring and the headlight bucket. I was able to remove the shrink wrap and repair it.

• 2 months later...

That looks really, really good.

Is the wiring pretty simple to do? Molex is 3-4 wires if I remember right...

Have you thought about orange colors for the turn signals (behind the grill), or red for brakelights? Not sure if these are bright enough for brake lights, but something to think about....

looks awesome either way....I have the "Angel eyes" on my M3 and love the look

Don't laugh too hard. I stripped the ends of the wires for the LED strips and tucked them into the factory connector for the side markers. Re assemble the connector and the wires are captive and sealed darn good by the factory rubber grommet. Yup, that easy.

I believe someone is working on using orange strips to set up front driving lights, and turn signals, hidden in the factory front grill. I am definitely using a 12" red strip across the top of my hatch window as a third brake light. It will be the first thing I do when the car gets back from the body shop, after being rear ended! LOL.

How bright are they when you turn the headlights on? The reason why I ask, is I think it would make for a killer turn signal setup. Though, for turn signals, I think it would be cooler to wire up my own strips that have a higher LED density. that way for parking lights it has every other light on, and when the turn signals kick in, every LED turns on.

I would think they are bright enough for turn signal lights only if you separate them from the headlights. When the headlights are in your face, you don't see the LED's very much. If they were in the grill or on the spoiler, they should make nice turn signals or driving lights.

Buzz, is going to try to set four amber strips up in the front grill to use as driving lights and blinker combos. He is eliminating the stock 280Z grill lights and installing a 240Z grill. The nice part is that when the strips are turned off, they virtually disappear because they are black.

Nice, How about some pics? If cygnusx1 doesnt mind of course. This is just such an Awesome Mod. It would be nice to see how other applications where done. Or just seeing it on other Z's period.

I put some on mine. Not exactly legal as they are red, but its still pretty cool. I got mine from harbor freight.