HybridZ

10k tachometer

Guest Anonymous

Guest DATTO

im not sure if they had them stock or optional but they do have tachs that did go to 10,000 rpms. they look exactly as the stock ones but go to 10k...when i find my magazine with the picturs of the gauge ill post the image on my website and link it over here. take it easy all. icon_wink.gif

• 6 years later...

Looks like they removed the yellow and part of the red line areas. There should be a yellow line starting at 7.

On page 20 of the manual below you can see what it should look like. This is the owners manual to a 1971 Fairlady Z that I own and scanned to a pdf. It is a little over 8MB in file size.

http://www.fairladyzg.com/pdf/1971 Fairlady Z Owners Manual Japanese.pdf

synthtk did a great job with an R33 Skyline instrument cluster. The stock GTST tachs go up to 9,000. I do believe the GTR's go 10,000 RPMs.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119780&highlight=tach&page=2

Autometer is the easy way to go.

Evan,

Did not intend to make you look like an ass. I never knew a 10k tach existed either till I got the Fairlady Z owners manual. It took 7 years for the question to be answered anyway.

Yeah, I guess the 'proper answer to the question' is that the 10K tachs were in the Z432's.

Thanks for the manual Eric! Now I know all the gadgets in my 71 as well!

Curiously, the 'flash to pass' button they show in the '432' section was in my 'mystery car' S30-110661, a 240-Style Body with all the "PZR" floors, flash to pass light on the signal switch, but no 'PS30' as the chassis code says it should have....

That switch is now in my current 71 Fairlady Z. "Flash to pass" in an early S30 is soooooo cool!

synthtk did a great job with an R33 Skyline instrument cluster. The stock GTST tachs go up to 9,000. I do believe the GTR's go 10,000 RPMs.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119780&highlight=tach&page=2

Autometer is the easy way to go.

Evan,

Did not intend to make you look like an ass. I never knew a 10k tach existed either till I got the Fairlady Z owners manual. It took 7 years for the question to be answered anyway.

That looks MUCH better then any autometer setup IMO. Go that route.

Wow what an answer - after 7 years!!!

I want my 73 240z to be a total sleeper. Thats why I need the stock gauges to work and no outward signs whatsoever as to whats lurking under the hood - thats going to be the big surprise!

Z8Driver just posted a link to this company who make a device that will get your stock Z tach working with your hybrid engine TechnoVersions Website - TachMatch

Anyway heres a pic of that 10k Tach for posterity as the ebay one will be gone soon:-

10ktach.jpg

Unfortunately at $259 its too expensive for me especially bearing in mind that I can't see it properly to check it out.

Any further advice on getting my stock tach to work is welcome though???

Cheers

Ok guys, check this out!

Below is a 10,000 RPM CABLE DRIVEN tachometer out of a Japanese race car that was imported to North America. Whitehead Performance in Toronto, ON, inherited it. Lots of very unique features. I have more pictures which I'll try to post later.

tn_full_01010034JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Im amazed, not one but two 10K tachometers from a simple question asked way back in 2001.

I haven't yet finally sorted/figured out how to get my existing tacho to work with my RB26. In the intereim I have just hooked up my RB tacho and my RB speedo like synthtk did. The wiring connections on the back of my R33 cluster were different though to those on synthtk's though!

I will post the (how I did it) results once I get somewhere with it.

Cheers