HybridZ

Starting My Custom Dash, 280zx

V8_DatZun

It's been forever since i posted. I've got about 8-9 hours worth of actual work in what i've got so far. The biggest problem is trying to figure out how to keep everything symmetrical, and in line starting from nothing but THIS.

05-17-2009007.jpg

Here is whats left of the original dash installed in the car.

05-17-2009009.jpg

Wise man say never use hammer near glass.... unfortunately I didn't hear wise man until AFTER the fact...

05-17-2009008.jpg

A few pics of the basic frame installed in the car...

05-17-2009014.jpg

05-17-2009016.jpg

And Here is what i got done today... The center part of the dashboard cut out, but not completed. I also framed up portion for double din DVD player/screen, but do not have pics of this yet. Also, this center piece is not installed yet, as i did not center it up or measure everything yet.

05-17-2009017.jpg

05-17-2009018.jpg

05-17-2009019.jpg

I plan on working on it a few hours tomorrow before work. Sad thing is when you've only got a few hours to work on it, by the time you get tools out and get started on it good its time to clean up. I'll post progress as it comes along. Any questions feel free to ask.

I was trying to figure out what you meant by stick out so far, but i see how the pic makes it look that way. See how far the sides stick out that are by the doors? It is going to stick out that same distance all the way up to the center piece. That center piece is only about 2 inches bigger than the sides of the dash are. This is so that it will stand out from the rest of the dash. I am going to mount DVD, and oil, temp, and volt gauges at the top of this center piece. I've got a little more work done to it today, and ill post some pics up for you guys.

Worked on it a few hours today. Here are some new shots.

Dash with center piece installed, and DVD mounting installed.

05-17-2009025.jpg

See the piece beside the center that is angled the same as the center? That is pretty much even with the side of the dash. All of this will be rounded, then from that piece it will come out about 2" or so to the center piece at an angle. Hard to explain, but when i stretch the fabric you'll see. (forgot to mention that piece is just laying there temp braced so you can see what i was trying to explain.)

05-17-2009027.jpg

Most of it is just temp bracing that will be cut out once the dash is completed. The center section will almost all stay however. This doesnt weigh an awful lot. All of the 2x2"s running across the dash will be removed, and any other wood that can be cut out.

Also, I have a 383 stroker... LoL not too worried about it slowing the car down even if it does weigh a few pounds more than stock (keep in mind the stock had a good bit of metal bracing, etc that weighs alot also)

Looks great. I don't know if you've looked that the window cranks in relation to the dash but you might want to check. When I finished my dash and installed it I was shocked to see my window crank only misses the dash by only 1/4". I can still use it but its close. I extended that section of the dash to mount my fuse panel in the driver's side dash end. BTW I like your idea of fabricating this using wood as a template. I highly modified the stock dash and then covered it with fiberglass. It ended up weighing a lot.

I've got electric windows :flamedevi good info for anyone reading this that may want to do something like this though. And yes, im rolling automatic. Although my shifter will be set back about 2-3 inches from the original hole. If i decide to go manual one day, i still shouldn't have any problems. I just havent welded up that hole for the original shifter yet (thanks for reminding me).

I'll be working on the dash most of the day tomorrow, and ill post more pics then. Thanks for the comments, and for the heads up on problems i may encounter. anything else just shoot it my way!

I worked on the dash 2 or 3 hours today. Not as long as i had hoped to get. I did however get the basic setup for the gauges, and get the side pieces mounted where i wanted them on the center piece. I'll be doing a little more work tomorrow, and I'll post the pics then. I'm ready to get this beast wrapped and glassed... Here are the pics.

05-17-2009032.jpg

05-17-2009033.jpg

05-17-2009034.jpg

Edited by V8_DatZun
Duplicate picture

• 2 weeks later...