HybridZ

Why the lack of love?

WV75Z

agreed. although i think the 280z looks great, i've always like the 280zx.

i think the 280zx has that cool, fun, super smooth, ultra hip 80's look and feel. it's awesome!

: D

anyways, i love my '83 280zx.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the lack of love for the 280zx's especially the turbo? Why are they always donor cars and less often restored?

I have owned a nice 75 with all the same suspension upgrades as my 83zxt and don't notice much difference in handling. The t-tops are a nice bonus too and I have seen some breathtaking s130's as well as s30's.

I could see the s30 having an advantage at the track given the some mods but most of us just want a nice old sports car to enjoy.

For the life of me I DON"T GET IT!

1) Ugly

2) Heavy

3) Shocks in the back

4) Crappy interior

I could go on but I don't think I need to waste any more time on a S130.

1) Ugly

2) Heavy

3) Shocks in the back

4) Crappy interior

You mean to say that S30's didn't have shocks in the back? O_O lol

My '79 doesn't squat that badly when I dump the clutch, and I still have the stock springs in the back (albeit with Tokico blues)

I also prefer the looks of the S130 over the S30, but I still love (and want) and S30 just so I can compare the two.

Also, my 90% stock ZX doesn't feel slow at all until I hit 3rd gear, and trust me, I've been in some fast cars (my first car being a 12sec '69 Firebird that I still have). It even beat my friend's B16 CRX! (but I don't want to get into any battles with comparing a Z to a Honda lol)

The s30's had chapman struts in the rear if I remember correctly..correct me if I'm wrong.

This debate will continue to rage on as long as there are Z's around..lol. Each one has it's pro's and con's and I really don't think one is worse than the other...."crappy interior"?? They're both plastic and look like the decade they came from..we're not talking about Jags here..lol

And as was stated earlier..the S130 base was in fact lighter than the 280 S30's they replaced. In my opinion the two cars were really built for different markets and can't ever really be compared together...they kind of went the way of the t-birds.

i think the main arguments here a more on the looks side than anything else. for the most part they both have great gains in performace with mods and tweaks here and there. the interior for both are greatly out dated but then again look at the years of both gens (Z & ZX) in question. one lacks areo the other inproved on areo. one is sleak the other more agressive styling. i believe it comes down to preference, me myself, i like both hell all except for the body of 88 -96 years. the only problem i have with the S130 is performace part upgrades, as you all know needles are sometimes hard to find.

on a side note i think the only thing that really kept me out of the seat of a S30 was cabin space. i am a big guy (6'5) and leg room is my first priority, also i do not like 2+2 Z's or ZX's. they just look streched out to much, but thats my opinion. thats why i love my coupe .....yeah me!

1) Ugly

2) Heavy

3) Shocks in the back

4) Crappy interior

Im getting fairly sick of the debate which is better it is all about taste . i owned two s30 and sold both to stay with the 280zx.. witch for track use is a better base car.. with less aftermarket support but that does not hold me back ...

Next that weight BS!!!

Want to put your 260z on a scale next to my 78 s130 .... and see how 'heavy' it is ???

they weight is really a myth!

Naturally the creature comforts in the 82 and 83 cars made it weigh in more .. but if you want to race you strip that anyway ..

And then still it only weighs in at 2518 with two extra wheels in the car. ( at least my 83 turbo did)

It is all about taste I have seen GREAT s30 and fuhbar ones. I have seen GREAT s130's and fuhbar ones.

Biggest deal is probably the smog regulations in California.

Anyhow JTL260z .. I think your comment just shows you like to oil the fire .. it doesn’t really ad much apart from blunt ignorance.

I aprieciate any good prepped Z

1) Ugly

2) Heavy

3) Shocks in the back

4) Crappy interior

1) Has a "closed mouth" appearance, which is different and has a subjective aesthetic value, but aeroduynamically, the 280ZX is hands-down better off.

2) Simply had more options available to either have/order, or strip off. Frank posted the data to prove it.

3) The first thing you do to ANY Z ca is work on the handling... Nissan ALWAYS gave us a car that had enough engine to start with, but needed some ride and brake tweeks to really make the engine look bad.

4) Completely depends on what you want. S30 fans are usually surprised the first time they see an S130 (or Z31) interior in bl;ack; it looks virtually normal.

..and then there is Rule Number Four:

4. There is no Best!

My '79 doesn't squat that badly when I dump the clutch, and I still have the stock springs in the back (albeit with Tokico blues)

I also prefer the looks of the S130 over the S30, but I still love (and want) and S30 just so I can compare the two.

Also, my 90% stock ZX doesn't feel slow at all until I hit 3rd gear, and trust me, I've been in some fast cars (my first car being a 12sec '69 Firebird that I still have). It even beat my friend's B16 CRX! (but I don't want to get into any battles with comparing a Z to a Honda lol)

Yes, the S30 does not have shocks in the back.

All S30s came with struts on all 4 corners.

Im getting fairly sick of the debate which is better it is all about taste . i owned two s30 and sold both to stay with the 280zx.. witch for track use is a better base car.. with less aftermarket support but that does not hold me back ...

Next that weight BS!!!

Want to put your 260z on a scale next to my 78 s130 .... and see how 'heavy' it is ???

they weight is really a myth!

Naturally the creature comforts in the 82 and 83 cars made it weigh in more .. but if you want to race you strip that anyway ..

And then still it only weighs in at 2518 with two extra wheels in the car. ( at least my 83 turbo did)

It is all about taste I have seen GREAT s30 and fuhbar ones. I have seen GREAT s130's and fuhbar ones.

Biggest deal is probably the smog regulations in California.

Anyhow JTL260z .. I think your comment just shows you like to oil the fire .. it doesn’t really ad much apart from blunt ignorance.

I aprieciate any good prepped Z

I'll put my 260Z on any scale vs any S30 or S130, of course, my Z weighs in at a quick and light 1850 lbs.

I am only voicing my personal opinion on the mistake I think Nissan made with the S130. I think it is wrong to try to turn a car once built for the thrill of driving (S30) into a car that seems to be more suited for an over the hill, washed up driver that needs power steering, power windows, automatic trannys and all the other creature comforts that were added to make the S130. Plus, not unlike most cars in the 80's the S130 lacks the style and good looks of it's predecessor.

Go to any car show, club event or parking lot with a S30 and a S130 side by side and you will always see which one draws more attention.

But like I have said before, this is my opinion and I know I am not alone, that is why this thread is titled "why the lack of love".

• Administrators

I confess. shy.gif

Back in the late ‘80’s and through the ‘90’s, being a die hard S-30 guy, viewing the S-30 as a true sports car, we used to refer to the S-130 as “Secretaries cars”, the 2+2 variant as the “station wagon”… Our argument was that it was heavier, rear suspension was less performance oriented, the interior was more common of cars in that era such as Toyota, Mazda, etc. It didn’t have that huge wow factor and originality the S-30 had when it was released.

How messed up is that attitude?!?!? madno.gifass.gifclown.gif

Knowing what I know now about the S-130, its racing heritage, its impact on the automotive world in general, looking back on our attitudes then? How narrowed minded we were, deserving of a swift kick in the batteries!bash.gif Sure the S-130 is not an S-30 and by rights it shouldn’t be! It is its own, it is “the” next generation of Z car, and you know what? It filled those shoes very well! Successful in auto racing, (Paul Newman raced one!), the S-130 received many improvements the S-30 guys wish they had and still wish for such as rear discs, vented front brakes, better front suspension geometry, CV joint half shafts in some cars, less gas fumes, power windows, power steering, a TURBO! :2thumbs: the list goes on and on….

Now, some 20+ years later, the S-130 is just as much of a Z car icon as the S-30. Worthy of just as much praise. bgiorno.gif

If I were a member here with my ‘80s attitude, I would have to ban myself! (I think I did that last year...)

Please forgive me for my past transgressions. The S-130 is a true sports car, a Z car!hug.gif

Edited by BRAAP

I confess. shy.gif

Back in the late ‘80’s and through the ‘90’s, being a die hard S-30 guy, viewing the S-30 as a true sports car, we used to refer to the S-130 as “Secretaries carsâ€, the 2+2 variant as the “station wagonâ€â€¦ Our argument was that it was heavier, rear suspension was less performance oriented, the interior was more common of cars in that era such as Toyota, Mazda, etc. It didn’t have that huge wow factor and originality the S-30 had when it was released.

How messed up is that attitude?!?!? madno.gifass.gifclown.gif

Knowing what I know now about the S-130, its racing heritage, its impact on the automotive world in general, looking back on our attitudes then? How narrowed minded we were, deserving of a swift kick in the batteries!bash.gif Sure the S-130 is not an S-30 and by rights it shouldn’t be! It is its own, it is “the†next generation of Z car, and you know what? It filled those shoes very well! Successful in auto racing, (Paul Newman raced one!), the S-130 received many improvements the S-30 guys wish they had and still wish for such as rear discs, vented front brakes, better front suspension geometry, CV joint half shafts in some cars, less gas fumes, power windows, power steering, a TURBO! :2thumbs: the list goes on and on….

Now, some 20+ years later, the S-130 is just as much of a Z car icon as the S-30. Worthy of just as much praise. bgiorno.gif

If I were a member here with my ‘80s attitude, I would have to ban myself! (I think I did that last year...)

Please forgive me for my past transgressions. The S-130 is a true sports car, a Z car!hug.gif

very well put. I have both a s130, and a s30 car. im not sure why, but I love the full body look of the ZX.. either way. they are both classic's, and should be treated as such. thats my 2cents

Pics or ban :shock:

"So lavishly appointed, there are virtually NO options!"

it should read "So lavishly appointed, there are virtually NO options!

Get blown away by its AWSOMENESS", then cut scene to guy looking in the camera with the Bandit stache with the chick sitting in the passenger seat!

sometimes, yes the late 70's early 80's did rock!:rockon:

(Paul Newman raced one!),

If I am not mistaken, the 280ZX was the car that led Paul to fall in love with the Z-cars in the first place.

My uncle says EVERYTHING that you are trying to say about S130s..... but he says it about S30s. Outside of the 6 cylinder motor, and the slightly improved electronics system, my uncle GREATLY prefers the 2000 Roadsters to the Z-cars of ANY stripe. So where does this "anti-new-car" attitude get you in the end?

06%20Stanley%20Steamer.jpg

As for an 1850 pound 260Z, show me the fiberglass and the carbon that let you get there.........

.....or I will show you MY 1800 pound 240Z, which reached that point via extensive rusting, cutting, and stripping. (Read: its a rotten piece of scrap.)

Support that claim or I second the motion of the ban-hammer...

Ill dig up the scales report before and after the boat trip from New York to Amsterdam. i used to have em here in my photo album. But i cant seem to find those anymore.

Next to that i think mister D (tonyD) can tell you how 'heavy' a zx is .. as he could not believe the trailer was lighter with my car in it compared to a 260z.

Now comes the claimed weight...

With all due respect i do not believe 1850.. that is under FIA weight.... so either all parts are 'plastic' or i would like to raise the BS flag on.

(get that scale checked as it is of !!)

Anything under 2000 is very hard, and judging from the signature pic your car does not seem to be prepped that thoroughly. AND you added a full cage!

Though i might have missed something. ( FG doors hatch hood fenders ? lexan windows ? or do you still run glass, or did your car rot away so there is no metal left :P )

And i have seen early (69) cars in my friends pro shop that even the bolts that hold the fenders cut to length to save weight etc etc

struggling to get around 2000 lbs ( hence this is with a full cage).

As for my ZX I’m looking to hit the 2200 LBS marker using a full FG hood fenders and cut doors stripped and gutted as far as i can go within in the rules.

The lack of love .. because most people take the easy (cheap) route and go for the more aftermarket support and no smog BS to take into account.

In Japan you see loads o very nicely prepped s130 pulling as much if not more attention than the early cars ....

On the other hand let your riding do the talking on the track a well prepped ZX will blow the doors of a same class well prepped s30 ... History proofed that aswel.

However Like stated before i appreciate a well prepped z aswel ( or any car for that matter)

Personally i just like the zx better.. all a matter of taste i guess.. A mistake ? hmm it was the best selling Z car... must be a big mistake they made there .. making profit on a product you’d like to sell :P

Next to that before you start the BS on the rear 'shocks' on a s130 you should maybe crawl under one ... I think you mixed up the z31 with a s130 there!

I have to run now as i need to find my aviators and play some Maimi Vice tunes and get my suit that looks like this:

04-723515.jpg

and do some coke runs :P

At least I can call my car a Datsun, because it says it on the back.

I've owned zx's for about 12 plus years, in recent times the car get noticed ALOT more! I think this is due to the lack of them on the road and the newer generations not knowing the s130.

Also, more guys are like, yea I had one of those, great car!

The eighties were fun for a lot of folks, and this car was a piece of that era!

Its age is giving it that fine wine taste.

This car is really great DD, it can be track-able of course, but its comfort just makes it seem a little out of place in stock condition.

I've considered putting my n47 head, headers, bullfrog cam, ms and meth injec. on my zx and giving it to my wife. (all I have to do is get the ecu, I hoping next year)

Then getting another z or zx. If I can get a z, I will not have to do battle just to go to the store, I will borrow my wifes car ;)

The car I built will probably pound my brains, (esp with our roads here), stink, and leave me stranded more often, but hey when you own "race" car what do you expect!

The problem with these two cars, s30/s130, is they are so close, yet so different.

You really don't see this much between the other z's that followed.

In the end the s130 held it's own, and now it's making a come back! (thanks to the s30 guys useing them as donors, hence rearer)

So my hat is off to all those s30 guys!

One other thing, around here there are some bone stock s30's that are mint. Not that pretty, (bone stock). Bike tires with some terrible hub caps, puke.

The s130 had better styling, bone stock. On the other hand, change a few things and WOWOWOWOWOW! That s30 is one hot ticket.

I really need to see hugh's and other s130's next to some s30's in person to figure for my self.

I think this thread proofs the point, there is alot of love for the S130! I got my first 240Z back in '89 and owned numerous S30s through the 90's. I had to sell all my S30 stuff and cars to buy my house back around Y2K ( haven't heard that term in a while!). I got back into Z's with the S130 because they were alot cheaper than the early cars and I kind of like the 'underdog' feeling. With a few mods, I am way more satisfied with my ZX than any 240 I ever owned.