HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

You guys do realise that this is not a wheel that will easily fit most Z cars right?

5 stud for starters, plus he doesn't have our suspension getting in the way as well. Yeah it looks great, but getting it to fit a standard s30 may be a little harder then you think.

Yup. All those are good reasons you're not likely to want this wheel. However, if you're game, Boze does have the cad for an 8-spoke version that I did. I started with seven spokes (dumb) then tried to make eight work but the 8 spoke /5 bolt ratio looked wrong. So I went with ten spokes. But for the 4-bolt cars this would work. But then comes the issue of offset. My wheel is 11" wide with a 6.25" backspace. The spoke in the design creates 3" of offset between the center hub and where mount to the rims. But still it could work if you need a 9" or wider wheel and less backspace (on my silver Z I have a 5" backspace as most of you do)

But if you are willing to spend the 500+ per wheel this costs then you might consider designing another new wheel. But I'm also happy to share this design. Or you could take it and modify it. I'll share the source files with anyone.

mark

Whew! $500 per wheel. I guess I shoudl get my car running before investing in 2500 worth of wheels. I might still be interrested in the file a little later though. I was thinking basically the same design, but the center could be drawn back to basically 5" backset instead of the 6.5 you've got. It woudl be more curved inward on the spokes to accomplish this, giving the wheels sort of a funnel look. I'm planning on a 5 lug conversion, but there may be more to it than that. In the meantime I've got a set of 16" sportmax's I'm going to run. Certainly not as pretty as mark's but the cool part is that I'll still be able to use them before, during and after my 5 lug swap. (dual lug pattern) Anyway, back to Mark's build, What tires are you thinking of using? I've always liked Dunlops, but on my Z32 I've got a set of potenza's that've been really decent. I had Falken's before, but they wore out quick!

Phar

Whew! $500 per wheel. I guess I shoudl get my car running before investing in 2500 worth of wheels. I might still be interrested in the file a little later though. I was thinking basically the same design, but the center could be drawn back to basically 5" backset instead of the 6.5 you've got. It woudl be more curved inward on the spokes to accomplish this, giving the wheels sort of a funnel look. I'm planning on a 5 lug conversion, but there may be more to it than that. In the meantime I've got a set of 16" sportmax's I'm going to run. Certainly not as pretty as mark's but the cool part is that I'll still be able to use them before, during and after my 5 lug swap. (dual lug pattern) Anyway, back to Mark's build, What tires are you thinking of using? I've always liked Dunlops, but on my Z32 I've got a set of potenza's that've been really decent. I had Falken's before, but they wore out quick!

Phar

lol. $500 is cheap if you realize that car companies regularly pay more than 10k for one-off set of wheels from these guys or any other shop. They did me a big favor.

fwiw, the billet they use to carve out the center piece is around 3" thick, meaning there is a limited thickness you have available and a limited amount of curve in the spoke. But because the wheel is a 2-piece the fix is simple- you mount the billet center wherever you need in the dish to get the needed offset.

On the current Z, I use relatively cheap CompT/A's for the street and I use Hoosier R6's for the race wheels. I will swear by Hoosier slicks for track use. I can't really speak for what makes a good street tire.

For now these new wheels will be mounted on some old Hoosiers until the car is finished. no use wasting tires for the next year of the build.

lol. $500 is cheap if you realize that car companies regularly pay more than 10k for one-off set of wheels from these guys or any other shop. They did me a big favor.

fwiw, the billet they use to carve out the center piece is around 3" thick, meaning there is a limited thickness you have available and a limited amount of curve in the spoke. But because the wheel is a 2-piece the fix is simple- you mount the billet center wherever you need in the dish to get the needed offset.

On the current Z, I use relatively cheap CompT/A's for the street and I use Hoosier R6's for the race wheels. I will swear by Hoosier slicks for track use. I can't really speak for what makes a good street tire.

For now these new wheels will be mounted on some old Hoosiers until the car is finished. no use wasting tires for the next year of the build.

Yipes! I'll say they did you a huge favor! That makes sense, no use letting a new set of tires sit around.

What Fuel pump are you planning on using with the fuel cell?

Phar

Phew, reading through your extensive builds for 1.0 and progress for 2.0 inspires me.

The tube frame looks beautiful and that trick cantilever suspension from team 321 is pretty sweet.

Not trying to steal your ideas, but with your permission, and when I get back from deployment I would like to spend a few weeks (months) planning something in between your two Z's. A similar tube frame with the existing sheetmetal on top. (Maybe down the road the full frp body from frp automotive)

I cant even imagine your budget for this though with the quality and experience of 1.0 with the scope of 2.0

Cars are a labor of love.. and money ;)

Nice Those rims look Sweeet! Good job on the Pedals and column, it's starting to really look like a car. So on the rear, are you going to modify the moulds to incorporate flares. I can certainly see how tight those wheels fit in back. Though your shell isn't actually mounted yet right?

Phar

Nice Those rims look Sweeet! Good job on the Pedals and column, it's starting to really look like a car. So on the rear, are you going to modify the moulds to incorporate flares. I can certainly see how tight those wheels fit in back. Though your shell isn't actually mounted yet right?

Phar

I was under the impression that he took molds of his RB Z, which already has flares.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, I am also in the Austin area and was wondering where you found your vq35hr motor. I would like to find a motor locally to avoid getting ripped off on ebay and figured you could point me in the right direction.

Both of your cars are amazing by the way.

Mark, I am also in the Austin area and was wondering where you found your vq35hr motor. I would like to find a motor locally to avoid getting ripped off on ebay and figured you could point me in the right direction.

Both of your cars are amazing by the way.

I found the engine from this site (http://www.car-part.com/), which connected me with a salvage shop that had the motor. I've found that with a late model motor most are pretty easy to deal with. They are reasonably detailed about the condition of the motor. I never felt in doubt about getting what I was paying for. But it's not exactly like buying local- there is some inherit risk.

Big Update. The frame is done. We moved the car now to Al's for bodywork. The pics show the final rolling chassis. Note that the body is still the rusty steel original. We plan to blast that clean and then cut off all of the panels, keeping only the roof and window/door frames. Hopefully things start moving faster now.

5064137191_0f072b9e09_b.jpg

5064137385_f76a0c3aed_b.jpg

5064751436_d3594a50d0_b.jpg

5064137763_01982816c5_b.jpg

5064752290_24a92314d0_b.jpg

• Like 1