HybridZ

LS1 fuel feed: cell or tank?

OK guys, here's a question which may have already been covered...but I'd like your opinions anyway

My current setup:

Summit 16 gallon fuel cell, gm center, anti slosh foam, walbro 255lph inline external pump that was set up for the rotary. -8an feed, -6an return. Fuel cell is offset to the pass side to allow single exhaust to pass on the driver side.

My options:

a. Keep stock LS1 fuel rails, returnless fuel system, take out fuel cell, install camaro fuel tank.

pros: don't have to set up anything, it's already in place in stock form, allows me to move the tank to the center to allow for dual exhaust

cons: future expandability? do i trust returnless systems?

b. replace stock LS1 fuel rails with summit billet units, with AN fittings

sum-240050.jpg

http://summitracing.com/parts/SUM-240050/

run 8an line to fuel cell, install FPR(aeromotive a1000), all of which I already have from teh rotary setup

pros: opposite of option a.

cons: more difficult to move fuel cell over to allow dual exhaust , would be easier to do single exhaust

Keep the tank where it is. Run dual 2.5 inch into a single 3 inch and exit at the stock location. Less weight than the dual set up, simple,and less expense .

Get the billet rails and run the braided line. I would use braided SS line with the teflon liner. -6 will be plenty for the feed and return.

i used std datsun tank fitted internal walbro pump used single line 3/8 line to engine and mount automotive fuel reg at tank so only need short return line to tank

just used brass olive pipe fitting on end of std fuel rail these fitting with std hose clamp can handle in excess of 100 psi

works fine

went with twin 2.5" to single exhaust dont look as sexy as twin rear pipes but less weight and adds to sleeper potential

mick

mark: just to clarify, when you say tank, do you mean camaro tank or existing fuel cell?

The existing fuel cell. Keep it and run a single exhaust. Also as mentioned, a surge tank would be a great idea and not much trouble to add.

Go with the plastic Camaro tank. The mounting brackets take only about 5 minutes to fabricate, you get to keep the tank centered, you can modify the Camaro filler neck to fit the Z gas door opening, you get to keep the smog control stuff and the wiring to the computer. I believe these's also a built in baffle in the bottom of the tank. When it's done it looks like a factory installation. The only down side is the oddball fittings that GM chose to use. At the same time (ever heard THAT before?!) you can bend some new fuel lines and have a nice clean fuel system. While the tank is out you can also weld in a nice heavy crash bar between the rear panel and the tank.

Yeah, I hear you guys... my only concern is future expansion for power and the fact that I already have the fuel cell setup 90% complete, including the hard lines pre-bent for it :)

tough call. heh. But I was thinking camaro tank as well. I'm sure someone makes adaptable fittings to go AN

As far as expansion for power, line size will not be the problem. Even with -6 line, it will flow more at the 60 or so lbs of pressure the lsx engines need than you will ever use.

I think the need of a surge tank with the cell vs the stock tank and pump set up is what would make the biggest difference for me. Either will work fine. IT's just, how much do you want to change at this point?

You will want a surge tank if you stick with the cell. The first time the car dies in a corner, you will hate it.

I went with this universal tank http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=121/category_id=69/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd121.htm

which allows for in-tank pump with normal NPT to AN fittings, and is narrow enough to allow for dual exhaust. When I had put the Camaro tank in, it looked to be a compromise space-wise, and the tank in the link above is much easier to deal with.

They weld in a "well" that is designed to hold a big chunk of gas in place in corners.

Pricey solution but nice.

• 1 month later...

Is there a return line on this tank? I have a 2002 WS6 LS1 that is going in. I bought a walborg (sp) fuel pump for it. I was having my rusty tank cleaned and then larger lines welded in. This might be cheaper than all of that. Plus I have a new tank...

Was it hard to mount?

If you're referring to my post above, yes, it's a similar setup. I bought the tank and the 255 lph Walbro pump from Tanks Inc. See pics, there is out, in and vent. Bought the straps from them, also, and made my own mounts. Then I bought the sender from Summit, 0-90 ohm so I can use Autometer gauges. Using Vette C5 filter/regulator so only 1 fuel line going forward.

8-9-09 003 resized_thumb.jpg

8-9-09 005 resized_thumb.jpg