HybridZ

Moving to Dallas with a fleet of Datsuns, what's my best option here? House?

zeeboost

Alright, in 3 weeks I'll be leaving my job to resume college as a full-time student. I will not have an income, as I plan to live off money saved up over the last few years. Because of this, I'm not able to qualify for any loans since I can't show a proof of income (that's what the real estate agent told me, anyways). If I can find a co-signer, then I may qualify. I may have one, but it's a longshot. So, I have 5 Datsuns that I need to transport over - the 6th one can wait. I'm planning on selling 3 of them, so I'll still have 3 others that'll need shelter.

I plan on bringing my tools with me, and I'd like to have a garage so I can do small jobs on the side for some extra income. Most of the affordable apartments around the Arlington area don't have a garage, at least none that I can find, and I've been leaning more towards a house anyways. I'm going to be attending classes for another 5 years, so I'm wondering if I should buy instead of rent, so that way I'll at least own something once I've completed college. I've been looking at foreclosures, but the agent told me those are usually hit or miss, depending on the repairs that would need to be done to the house. She made it sound like every foreclosure needs repairs, but I figured they were simply bank repos. I've never been in this situation before, so I really don't know.

So, I also thought about renting storage spaces for each Datsun, although I would think that would be more expensive than paying rent for a decent house, and I don't know if you're allowed to work in them. I don't know if there are any shop renting options available.

The best option so far, IMO, is to keep most cars at a storage building that I have access to about 5 hours away from Dallas, and then find something with a small garage to unload 1 or 2 cars and a few parts. I still don't know if I'd be better off buying a house right now, or renting my way through college. I'm sure it's a lot less stressful to just rent one, but to me it feels like money down the drain. In the last 10+ years I've had a steady income, so it's a bit scary for me to drop it all. I don't want a part-time job, because the reason I was saving money in the first place is so I could give myself more than adequate time to study.

Any advice, opinions, ideas, etc? I'd appreciate them - I feel like I'm in a really big pickle right now.

Guest Rolling Parts

Rent a "T" hanger at the airport. Room for at least 5 cars, a hammock, a mini fridge, a work bench, and a room air conditioner. Should be about $350/mo.

I work at the local airport here in Bend, Or. and like Rolling said, you can fit at least five cars in a "T" hanger. No one cares what you do in there, people build experimental airplanes in some of ours, so no problem. I cant speak to the price, but I think it should be fair. As far as the house thing, I would think that buying is the best option right now, I think its still a buyers market and I'm pretty sure prices will rebound in the not to distant future creating a little equity (IMO). I got lucky and sold my first house in Georgia right before the economy tanked and bought the one I'm in now about two months ago. It was a bank owned built in 2006 and I got it for almost 60,000 less then it sold for in 2006. Other then paint and some stain on the fence it doesn't need any work, however it took us over a month and a half to close. The short sales (repos) can take longer then that...so if this is something your thinking about, make sure you have a place to stay while closing. There are many other things to watch out for such as liability for paying per day if the house goes into closing past the date you set which can cost you quite a bit, so read the fine print. These are all just my opinions, I'm sure there's others on here in the market that might be able to help you out more. Good luck!

Before I got married I had a 23' travel trailer parked in my shop and I lived in that. Well I showered and slept in it, I LIVED in the shop! It worked out great for me for a few years. I eventually built a nice loft with a shower.

Chicks thought it was cool until they had to trek down the stairs in the middle of the night to use the can!

Derek

Supposedly there are alot of houses in the area for sale/rent. Esp along the north part of Green Oaks. I'm also looking for a new place to live in Arlington, but haven't been satisfied with any of the local apartments. Are you going to UTA?

Need a roomie? :wink:

Yes, I'm going to UTA.

Don't worry big-phil, half of my cars aren't painted either, but I do look forwards to meeting the cowtown Zs.

Any advice on whether or not I should be looking to buy a house?