HybridZ

My DIY paint job thread...

piston

Good job with your body lines.

I am finally at the wet sanding stage but think i might have to hit it with a little more glaze and primer to really get the body line perfect.

never thought it would be this difficult but you're definitely giving me hope!!

thanks and great job!

I worked on driver side panel for a month and a half because it has a dent in it. i hit it out and layed numerouse times of lightweight bondo on there and it still isnt all straight and also, the rear line was a PITA where the rear body line meets the top wheel well where it curves out. i cannot get it smooth so i ended up cutting it and running flares and solved my problem...

Edited by piston
typo

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, i primered it again today for the second time and i was amazed at how clean the primer came out. it dried to a shine and looks like a nice gray single stage paint... and it still shows to barely noticable dings about .001 deph. lol.

SDC11451.jpg

SDC11450.jpg

SDC11449.jpg

SDC11448.jpg

SDC11445.jpg[/url]

heres a shot of my spray gun if anyones interested. runs about 150.00 retail at a local napa autoparts. company who makes it is called sharpe. model fx3000 HVLP

SDC11455.jpg

heres a pic of the cowl i just color sanded last friday, cut, buff and polished...

SDC11434.jpg

SDC11432.jpg

heres my mirror effect hatch at night inside the garage...gotta make sure it shines in the parking lot at night...lol..

SDC11435.jpg

it doesnt really matter on the compressor your using as long as your compressor can produce 80 psi plus and recharge consistantly, im sure it will work because your only using 27-29psi on HVLP guns and 34-35 on a standard conventional spray gun.

my brothers painting his 73 510 on an old school compressor with a belt driven motor and it still delivers an outstanding performance and it doesnt shut off like my 30gal since it sucks and maxes out the circuit breaker everytime. i have to wait and let it recharge then psray or go outside and reset the circuit breaker if i use it costantly while its recharghing. it will trigger th circuit breaker. i already know about changing the circuit breaker to a higher one but dont wanna kill myself since i know nothing about replacing one.

overall, just make sure you set your guns to factory recomendations and air psi accoding to spec, meaning cap psi and inlet psi etc...you dont need a top notch compressor for a perfect paint job.

Piston: That Cowl looks VERY GOOD! What color and paint code are you using. I have a silver 71 240Z and want to repaint it and am searching for colors. Please advise. Thanks.

haha, lol, i would be hating if i keep the color codes to myself. but if i share it then i might be the second with the 09 gtr skyline grey metalic. j/k but anyways, the color code is KAD.

I have access to any color code you need, just let me know. vehicle make, color name and i can pull a code.

just in case anyone might wanna look cool but slightly different. honda has this color called polish metal very similr tothis color but more silver. code if NH737M.

Edited by piston
redo

today i colorsanded the top section of the fender since doing the whole thing takes too long, i am doing it section by section...these are my tools...im using the same sandpaper disc from last time i used to do the cowl. its by 3m made with some kind of wierd thin plastic looking backpad with micro 1500(white plastic) and 3000(left pad)crystals. it hooks (aka hook it) onto a round backing pad with a strap for two finger slot for hand use. these pads last for some time. 2500 grit for the gray paper sheet. also a squegy, if thats even how you spell it. lol. a spray water bottle and my barrowed dewalt electric buffer/polisher. all this was performed under an hour.

SDC11459.jpg

this is what is looks like after 3000 grit.

SDC11461.jpg

it only takes this much to cut/buff/polish each round of buffing/polishing...

SDC11463.jpg

this is the result. nice and shiney and nice clean reflections with no orange peel. notice the bottom section hasnt been sanded or buffed.

SDC11464.jpg

3000 grit finish before buff/polish.

SDC11458.jpg

final product...almost mirror like from low angles.

SDC11466.jpg

heres a front distance shot of the fender/front view. looks brand new...hehehe

SDC11471.jpg

Edited by piston
redo

That really is an awesome job piston. What speed is your dewalt spinning at? Also I'm assuming those are 6" pads? Are you using just standard tap water in the spray bottle? I've heard/read people expressing to use only distilled as it doesn't have an minerals in it that could "possibly" affect the long term finish of a paint job. That could be complete random internet BS, but was just curious.

tap water right out of the kitchen sink. i never heard of that before but i think distilled water is way over kill for wetsanding. yes the pads are 6 inch pads.

my dewalt buffer has various speed settings and according to the pro detailers next door here at work, they say to keep it at 1400 rpms. works really good. the funny thing is im using the same foam pad on all 3 rounds instead of going to a finer pad for polish. it looks good enough for me so ima keep it like that for now.

meph, if you have the time and money and dont mind redoing it, i say do it. but yours looks pretty clean the way it is already.

Ok diablo, you ask for it, you got it...This is by far my finest piece of spray job. heres a pic outside. i was able to get home early and took some quick shots.

SDC11474.jpg

here you can see the orange peel thowing the glitter flakes all over from the sunlight. havent wetsand an buff the bottom section yet.

SDC11476.jpg

couple more shots.

SDC11477.jpg

SDC11478.jpg

notice the blurry reflection up top of pic on the piece i havent sand and buffed.

SDC11479.jpg