My DIY paint job thread...

piston

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Camerashy, It would be nice if it was a skyline. It's my older bro's 73 Datsun 510. It's got a ka-t setup with a fully build bottom end.

Garvice, thanks, working hard these past couple of days to get her done and hopefully register and on the road by March. Not much left besides bumpers and hood.

Edited by piston

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the picture of my unpainted hood makes me glad it's done with. I spent every weekend both Sat and Sun hammering, bondo, sanding over and over for 3 weekends. At least 20 different mixes of bondo total. It's hard work, but it pays off if your dedicated. Did you guys realize I painted in the backyard with nothing covering at 12pm in the afternoon! LOL Work fast and make sure it's right the first time. I got one tiny bug in it but it was sandable.

Devil_s30, I don't have any pics of the projector mod since I didn't think I was really going to keep the look. Definitely too flashy for an old school look. What I did was buy a pair of Ebay cheapy headlights with clear glass and cut the back out so the projector housing will go in(the black round piece that holds the projector lense). Glue the housing in and install it back onto the lamp retainer ring. Next, cut as much as you can from the headlight adjustment housing(the one where the original wire runs through) in the back to clear the projector itself. That way you can still retain the stock adjustment screws to aim your new projector headlights. Hope that helps.

Some new pics on the street.

SDC16468.jpg

I really like this shot on top.

SDC16463.jpg

SDC16462.jpg

SDC16461.jpg

Installed the grill and shaved my skinny bumper. Will be shaving my rear bumper and paint/install this weekend.

SDC16459.jpg

Here you can see a slight different in color compare the fender and the door. it was sprayed at different times with different batch of paint mixed by the same person who mixed me my paint. No metallic is always identical when mixed at different times and especially sprayed at different time laying down in different position, however the other side is dead on, lol. Hood is also off color a tiny bit but not that noticeable because of the curve the hood has.

Edited by piston