piston

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so i had friday off and decited to go head and paint the body. Ive been working on it back and forth and so glad its finally painted. It came out pretty good! It was about 90degree or so in the garage. I also wasted 1/2 qt of clearcoat since i didnt know how much i would need to cover the car(DAMN). Heres the pics inside the garage.

SDC11534.jpg

SDC11536.jpg

slight tiger strip on roof but no too noticeable.

SDC11539.jpg

heres a couple shots in te sunlight.

SDC11540.jpg

SDC11541.jpg

SDC11542.jpg

SDC11545.jpg

im not sure what you mean by two component clear? its a 3 part mix clear is all i know. clear, reducer and hardner. 3-1-1.

notice on the 2nd pic up, thers a cut off on the rear top window that shows a different shade of metallic due to the clear coat stop. thers no way to spray high speed clear without a perfect finish line. it bothers the hell out of me so i respray it this weekend. my first time fading paint. it actually came out nice and clean...i thought i had to redo the whole thing. after wet sandin and buffing, its not ven noticable its been resprayed.

thought about doing a quick wright up and step by step on repraying/blending panel on the z since thers no stop line on the chasis of the z. but i didnt have the time to take pics becaue i was in a rush.

im using a 3m respirator and saftety goggles that i gotta change every spray because of clearcoating my goggles at the same time im spraying. lol. because the basecoat and clear dries so fast, the smell doest last very long and only smells 4 an hour.

Edited by piston
typo

I'm fighting the same time constraint. Want to get mine finished before the cold (New Hampshire cold).

I've got just one fender and the lower rear quarter to respray. Had an issue with the base coat lifting in those areas for some reason. I think I didn't allow enough flash time between base coats.

Here is a pic:

P9200019.jpg

I'm fighting the same time constraint. Want to get mine finished before the cold (New Hampshire cold).

I've got just one fender and the lower rear quarter to respray. Had an issue with the base coat lifting in those areas for some reason. I think I didn't allow enough flash time between base coats.

Here is a pic:

P9200019.jpg

oh man...happen to me too but it wrinkle instead but only a tiny bit. i can live with mine since its on the door side inside the jam. fresh paint and heavy clear will do that. flash time is key. by the way. i was checking out your thread and good work on the other painted parts. looks real clean. if i went with a solid color, i would have been done but metalic is a PITA to spray and lay down evenly without tiger and cheeta marks.

took some pics today. buffed it out yesterday. cant even tell where i faded and blended it in! i redid the rear driver side panel and wetsand it all out. pics are always nice to see!!! the flares are just there for mock up, still have to finsih it off with nutserts and welting strip and allen head screws for extra security so no punk theaf can snatch them!

SDC11575.jpg

cant wait to get rid of these roller wheels and put on some ssr double step lip mesh wheels! hard to come by a 16" set with good negative offsets. the body line looks off in this pic but its actually not.

SDC11576.jpg

SDC11578.jpg

too bad i dont have the doors painted and wheels to bling yet!

SDC11566.jpg

i havent wetsand buff the lower section yet on this side of the fender yet. too lazy...

SDC11567.jpg

SDC11569.jpg

SDC11571.jpg

so far im pretty happy with my work. this is all new to me and im no paint pro. this is my first real paint job for myself and i been spending alot of time redoing it just to get it right. one little defect and it bothers the crap out of me beacause i know its there!

Edited by piston
typo