HybridZ

Installing Auto Meters-MORE pics!

Tim240z

this is virtually impossible to do with dash in but when i had mine out for paint i drilled a hole and attached the autometer bracket to a piece of metal in the dash and it worked great. i can still get the gage in and out with the dash in it was the inital drilling i couldnt do with the dash in.

Guest Anonymous

I agree, putting gauges in with the dash in is a PITA. I managed to get 1 gauge in that way, and only by removing (read FUBAR'ED) the cardboard glovebox (now a pile of dust basically). The others I put in when I had the dash out. The speedo and tach I wouldn't have had a chance getting my hunky body under there and being able to get hands in there to even remove them would have been comical at best. It is worth it though, I have ultralites in mine and really like them.

Regards,

Lone

I have been messing around with my dash and bevvy of new Autometer gauges...thinking about the age old question: how to install them?!

I have been reading many posts on this subject and it seems the overwhelming consensus is using silicon. Not to detract from U guys that went this route, but I didn't like the idea much, 'cause knowing me, I'll want to take them out again for one reason or another. To make a long story shorter here is what I did, with great success by the looks of things:

5" tach and speedo and 2 5/8 others.

Used some weather stripping that I had laying around (7/8" wide x 9/16" thick-self adhesive) and stuck it around the gauge, just behind the bezel (face). Then I cut the weather stripping as close to the base (sticky side) as possible and folded open towards the back of the gauge. Then slipped the gauge into the dash.

It goes in very tight, so I very much doubt it will vibrate loose and the black color of the stripping blends in to the dash so the gap that the stripping is filling is not noticible at all!

Nice thing is...you can push the gauge back out and change the rotation or have it as far inset or sticking out as U want (within reason of course).....just food for thought...

Tim

Just a diferent idea on my guages I dissasembled the factory guages and used the original bezels. I super glued the small ones back to their original locations (note use professional grade superglue!). This allows you to insert the guage from the front and use the included hardware from the back. This way they are adjustible & removeable if necessary. I also install mechanical guages but utilized the factory plugs to wire up the guages(remove the end off the factory guage leaving as much wire as possible, use solder & heatshrink on all conections to minimize problems later). This way if I do need to remove one I just un plug the guage from the factory harness. The spedo & tach bezels needed modification to fit the Autometer Guages. This can only be done by removing the dash, this is not as difficult as it seems. Plan on spending a good weekend to finish this task. I have had mine in for over a year now with no problems. I will post photos next time I have the dash out. I used the Phantom Guages which look very trick with the white background and the red pointers.RICK

Rick,

a BIG WARM WELCOME to you and your hybrid (current zcar.com car of the month) to our little world. Based on our weekend get together and your car, I am sure you will have a lot to contribute.

BTW, do you want the disk back or should I just email the pics? Also, let me know about Gainesville this weekend if there is something on.

Tim240z , what are you doin for a fuel gauge?
Kenny,

What you see in these pics are just the tip of the iceberg. I have matching gauges as follows:

fuel,

volt,

trans. temp,

Brad,

the same pics are on my site if you still wanna see em.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the rest of the gauges. I finally got around to making the center dash housing for the 3 extra gauges and the warning LEDs, and my S2000 starter button!! 2thumbs.gif

xDash_complete.jpg

Xcenterdash.jpg

If they don't show here, just go to my site. THe pics of the dash are on the engine page (Don't ask rolleyesg.gif ).

Tim

• 2 years later...

Nice job Tim! But if it were me, and it will be soon, I would put the oil pressure gauge into the top of the new homemade section and move the fuel gauge up top. That way you have all the same type of gauges together (bottom dial) and the single gauge at the top of the new section can have the center mounted dial. It just looks kinda weird to have a center dial and 2 bottom dials next to it.

Dale