HybridZ

280ZXT Electric Fan

darkzebra

My 82 280ZXT has a stock radiator. I replaced the stock fan with an electric flex-a-lite low profile one, but it has already lost a blade in each fan, causing heavy vibration. Instead of replacing the flex-a-lite fan blades I am thinking of installing a different electric fan. The fan must allow me to run 2.5" IC piping across.

Since the Taurus 2-speed fan is 17" high it seems like there will not be enough clearance to run the IC tubing .

Has anyone run IC tubing with the Ford Taurus 2-speed fan in place?

If I can't use the Ford Taurus, any other fan recommendations?

I was told that i will need to replace my stock fan in my S130, when i put the turbo motor an HY35 turbo in it.

I have the same problem as you with running the 2.5 IC piping, so a friend said that a fan out of the 1990-1996 buick lesabre Electric fan would fit and have a good CFM and i live in Texas so you should be just fine with that.

Also i remmber him telling me that the Ford Taurus fan would fit but i don't know i have yet to buy my electric fan so let me know what you come up with.

Chris

1981 280zx turbo build underway

1983 280zx wifes

I would suggest the CX Racing Fan, Its pretty Slim, has good air Flow and its pretty cheap!

There 12' fan is only 2.5 inches thick

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=RAD-FAN12&Category_Code=

The 14' fan is 3.2 inch thick.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=RAD-FAN14&Category_Code=

I would measure how much space you have between the IC Piping and the rad and go fro there.

I just put in electrics (Dual) from a 1998 dodge caravan. I just trimmed the plastic about .5" and then used many large Zipties thick black ones and zip tied through Rad around rad and under bottom SO far no melting nothing but am in process of making metal mounts. Just drilled extra holes in the plastic for future support.

It gives me 3/4" clearance from all frontal moving parts and keeps her at about 70oC or less and on full throttle only reaches juuuuust below half heat and thats running 10psi boost PLUS!

Added bonus it is wide enough that it cools not only the entire rad but the engine/ the Alternator and the Exhaust manifolds and turbo and Intake areas. Runs great tons of power and as I said keeps turbo and under manifold nice and cold due to its stagger. Plus as I stated the alternator is kept chilled thus greater longevity when running all the electrical crap

My IC (Isuzu) has inlet & outlet on opposite sides, requiring me to run tubing ACROSS the radiator, between the top of the fan and the top radiator hose. Can I run 2.5" tubing here if I install the Dodge Caravan fan?

Would still like to know if the tubing can be run this way using a Ford Taurus fan, as I like the use of a 2-speed fan.

• 1 month later...
I have a 1980 zx and i tried the taurus fan. It will not work on a zx with a/c or power steering. You would also have to change your crank pulley to a 280z or zx with no power steering

That taurus fan must be deep.

I have one I bought from shucks 8 years ago. I got the adjustable rheostat that was there too.

I installed a second fan and put it on a switch to run the ac.

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions.

Since it seems the dual speed Taurus will not allow me to run IC tubing as planned, I have decided to replace the blades on my flex-a-lite fan. I think I may have contributed to the blades breaking prematurely because I only bolted the fan shroud at the 4 corners, allowing too much flex in the center (also had to replace the radiator). I have now added 2 bolts in the center of the fan shroud, with spacers between the radiator and shroud.