HybridZ

JCI AC mount alignment issues?

Hi guys,

Just got around to mounting the AC compressor using the JCI mounting brackets and the alignment is far from accurate. Has anyone else had this problem? I intend to give them a call tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had this issue. Here are a few pictures.

crooked2.jpg

crooked.jpg

Joe

Hi David,

Seems like we have the same spacer plate against the head. Did you contact JCI about it? If you have any other pictures of what you modified I would greatly appreciate seeing them!

Clive, good catch. Tonight the washer gets removed.

Joe

Boy how my memeory fades me after only 4 years. FOUR YEARS! My car has been on the road for 4 years this month.

Time (and my Z car) sure fly.

Anyway, I just went out to the garage and took a look at the A/C bracket setup. It seems that we used washers between the bracket and the water pump to move the bracket out towards the front of the car.

LS1_AC_Bracket_001.jpg

I hope this helps.

(I really need to spend some time to clean up and detail my engine compartment)

On my setup, the mounting plate to the compressor sits against the head and the other on top of it to. Here's what mine looks like, although I did have the same front mount originally. Definitely need to get rid of that washer. It it just me or does it look like the bolt holes aren't quite lined up front to rear at the compressor, either?

280Z-06_Pics_109_Medium_.jpg

It it just me or does it look like the bolt holes aren't quite lined up front to rear at the compressor, either?

Nope, it's not you. The holes are definitely NOT lined up. Something else that is strange is the directions refer to each plate as a letter and use the letter location to position the plate. Well none of my plates have letters on them!

Joe

Nope, it's not you. The holes are definitely NOT lined up. Something else that is strange is the directions refer to each plate as a letter and use the letter location to position the plate. Well none of my plates have letters on them!

Joe

Now that I think back, I had the same problem with one front mount and seem to recall there was a batch that was made incorrectly. I know John will replace it with a correct one.

Gary,

I did speak with John today and he was going to see which front mount I have by the purchase date, and get back to me. In any event, what we did today was to loosen all of the mounting bolts, including the plate mounting bolts, with the belt installed. When I go to the last bolt on the waterpump, presto! The compressor lined up almost perfectly! Tightened everything back up and it looks pretty good. I'm still going to follow up with John but I feel much better now with how things are sitting.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Rags,

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am about to install the same kit - I have the latest and greatest from John - It arrived a few days ago - ZERO instructions which bugs me but anyway....

Attached is a picture of everything in the latest kit....

It would probably be good to update this thread with exact instructions for others going down the same path - there are 4 thick washers, 2 identical black brackets, the front mount that goes on the water pump and a couple other bolts - the long one seems to have a custom machined aluminum piece on it and the other is short (see pics)

Would you guys care to assist in this effort since you've installed it before?

Also, I had to relieve a couple casting spots on my water pump so the black brackets would lay flush.... Seems that there could be some slight tweeks to John's patterns to avoid these type of things...

post-154-12762932773933_thumb.jpg

Edited by kjones

Ken,

Hope the phone conversation helped. I'll admit, getting this kit to work was quite frustrating. I have had the compressor mounted for about 9 months with no issues. Now to get the 2 AC hoses made up and fill the system :)

Joe

Ken,

Hope the phone conversation helped. I'll admit, getting this kit to work was quite frustrating. I have had the compressor mounted for about 9 months with no issues. Now to get the 2 AC hoses made up and fill the system :)

Joe

My Kit fit much better than all the others that have been posted here... A picture is attached.

Are we supposed to relocate the idler pulley??? Mine seem to be fine in the stock locations...

Also, that round plate that fits in where the freeze plug was fits kinda loosey goosey - I permatexed it in there, hopefully it'll be good.

I also had to go and buy some hardware as there wasn't any bolts in the kit to bolt the 2 black plates to the head.

One last note - I did not have to use the 4 gold thick washers, and I checked the belt alignment and it's perfect without them... So that long bolt with the machined aluminum piece seems to be for applications that require relocating the idler pulley along with the gold washers????

post-154-12763694306871_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Can anyone advise me on the belt used in the JCI installation. Is it the standard GM belt and the route just replaces the power steering pulley with the a/c compressor pulley, or is there a specific belt? If so, could somone provide the details? Thanks

Yep, re-used the stock belt and all was fine.