HybridZ

Anyone running a Taurus 3.8L fan on their L6

Derek

I'm not running one yet, but I've had one laying around that was going to go in a rock crawling Xj. Couldn't get it fit in the xj. I put it up against the Z rad last night and it looks VERY promising. The shroud almost covers the entire rad. I don't know about the water pump clearance yet at the engine bay is stripped.

Planning to have MS control the fan or a thermal switch?

Later,

Adam

I'm not running one yet, but I've had one laying around that was going to go in a rock crawling Xj. Couldn't get it fit in the xj. I put it up against the Z rad last night and it looks VERY promising. The shroud almost covers the entire rad. I don't know about the water pump clearance yet at the engine bay is stripped.

Planning to have MS control the fan or a thermal switch?

Later,

Adam

Hi Adam

I'm going to have megasquirt run it.

Hurry up and get it installed:)

Derek

I am interested in this as well. I did some searching and a few people said that the shroud had to be trimmed excessively to get it to fit, but others have said that it fits great.

Yea it seems there was a lot of ambiguity and zero pictures of an installed fan. Tony D was in the "installs with minor trimming" camp. That's why I'm still pursuing it. I like the fact that it's an OEM fan that will run reliably and that it's a 2 speed.

Derek

Hi Adam

I'm going to have megasquirt run it.

Hurry up and get it installed:)

Derek

Can you get a measurement from the rad coils to whatever sticks out the furthest from the engine? I can easily put the rad back in the car, but i'm not bolting the engine back up to take some pics for ya :mrgreen:

Adam

Can you get a measurement from the rad coils to whatever sticks out the furthest from the engine? I can easily put the rad back in the car, but i'm not bolting the engine back up to take some pics for ya :mrgreen:

Adam

Between 3.25" and 3.5" on my car. Was the same for my 3-row 'stock' replacement and the current aftermarket aluminum radiator.

Well, here are some pics i took before work this morning. The fan fits really well without the engine. :icon56: i don't know if it will fit at all one the motor goes back in. the fan is about 5" thick. The stock clutch fan and shroud are pretty thin at 3-3.5" as previously mentioned.

i'll let you know once the motor goes back in! i will be cutting out most of the radiator supports in my car since they are rusted and will be replaced with some DOM tubing. I might move the rad forward at that time for more clearance?

img1252411954043-1.jpg

img1252411968886-1.jpg

Edited by adam78280z
forgot pics !!

I have the Lincoln Mark VIII fan in my Z with the LSx swap. I have about 2" between the fan's widest point (motor) and the water pump pulley. If you guys want some pics, just let me know and I'll snap some.

Thanks for the offer but I think there's more room on a V8 swap.

Now if you want too drop your L6 back in and shoot some pics that would be great!

Derek

I tried that fan, went so far as to trim the shroud thinner and cut away some of the supports, but still would not clear.

Well, here are some pics i took before work this morning. The fan fits really well without the engine. :icon56: i don't know if it will fit at all one the motor goes back in. the fan is about 5" thick. The stock clutch fan and shroud are pretty thin at 3-3.5" as previously mentioned.

i'll let you know once the motor goes back in! i will be cutting out most of the radiator supports in my car since they are rusted and will be replaced with some DOM tubing. I might move the rad forward at that time for more clearance?

img1252411954043-1.jpg

img1252411968886-1.jpg

Looks like the only way to know for sure is to buy one and start hacking! I'll document the process as I go.

Does anyone have the dimension from the back of the motor to the front of the blades? My thoughts are if you hack all the shroud off in the process of making it fit you still have a nice 2 speed fan for a decent price.

Derek

Well put me in the "I don't think it will fit my car" group. I did some measuring and I just don't see how it will fit no matter how much trimming is done. I decided to buy a couple of 12" fans and make a custom shroud.

I know that will fit!

Derek

I heard all these great things about the Taurus fan, so I got one and it took way too much hacking to make it fit. In the end it didn't really cover the whole radiator and it sucked getting it in and out and mounting it was a pain too.

It did move a lot of air, but in the end I changed setups (now have an aluminum radiator with pusher fan - don't even need the fan when fall hits). And the Taurus fan had become a useless piece of junk because it had been hacked up so much.

Do it right, stay away from Taurus fans, unless you have one already.