HybridZ

John Force cheats???

deja

What? Cheating in motor sports? :)

Yeah, nobody ever cheats in motor sports, right!!!

Sure he cheated, but he did it in a way that it can't be proven.

So what would any of us have done in his situation?

Speaking for myself I probably would've done the same thing but made it look like more of a race. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is, especially considering he probably isn't the only one that manipulates race outcomes.

I agree with Deja though, if this stuff is to be truely eliminated the multi-car teams would have to be broken into separate teams that might be owned by a larger parent company but operated totally independant of each other.

I don't expect to see it happen though, "drama" sells and thats what auto racing is truely about, it's the entertainment business after all.

That happened in Atlanta last year and Ashley won. John AT was .170 (he is typically .086) against Ashley's .11 and John smoked the tires almost immediately. Was he too nervous? Possibly since he always worries about Ashley. But I can't say if he threw that one. But yesterday IMHO was an obvious throw.

Oh the drama! They nearly had a fist-fight at one point...

So then if Force won, he'd have raced Ashley in the finals. Then what?

Its a sticky situation for sure.

The NHRA has been hit real hard by the current change in finance in our current situation in this country. John Force sells, Castrol, Ford, AAA and Brand Source. In order for him to keep those sponsors(the people who pay the bills). People pay to see John Force, he is an NHRA draw as is Ashley. A day that should have been celebrated because the younger Force won Indy was ruined by crying Tony. The system is what it is; the count down to 1 is just the NHRA's scheme to keep people interested late in the year. If the shoe was on the other foot and Tony was racing Cruz, Cruz would have won the same damn way. Everyone things live is so great for John Force; this guy has to work his arse off to keep 4 cars sponsored. I think he would prefer 3 cars like he had in the past prior to taking on Ashley. Speaking of Ashley, that girl earned her win at the U.S. Nationals, she beat everyone she needed to win it all. She has been a consistant qualifer all year. I believe John will stay in the seat as long as Castrol is on board, I believe they want it that way. John Force has earned the right to determine the outcome of that race against Robert on Monday; he got that chance by winning his first round as did Robert. John was in that position because he qualified well. Notice that John Force Racing had 3 out of 4 top spots including Robert's #1 qualifer. Cheating? Please define the word as it pertains to this subject. I can not wait for the finals in Pomona; I will be there.

I beleive that race did take place and Tony won, like he said you do what is right and the fans excpet an honest race

I agree with what you said about Ashely. I like John, always have. But if he is throwing races to keep sponsors happy maybe it time for him to move on. I just don't think that sort of thing belongs in racing.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Tony was racing Cruz, Cruz would have won the same damn way.

What rule allows you to throw a race?? Fans go to the races to see competition, not who can manipulate the outcome to keep their sponsor happy. Unfortunately these days its not the fans that matter, its TV and sponsor money that pays the bills. Like every orther sport there is so much money available the sport itself pays the price. I'll step off my soapbox now.

Using the rules to your advantage = cheating? You decide. I say no. I am very happy to see some hype for drag racing. Without some controversy what fun is any competition?

What rule allows you to throw a race?? Fans go to the races to see competition, not who can manipulate the outcome to keep their sponsor happy. Unfortunately these days its not the fans that matter, its TV and sponsor money that pays the bills. Like every orther sport there is so much money available the sport itself pays the price. I'll step off my soapbox now.

On the other side, what rule says you can't throw a race?

NHRA rule book section 19 - Participant Conduct

Participants at NHRA national events are expected, at all times, to conduct themselves in a professional, sportsmanlike, and non-disruptive manner. Any participant who, in the sole and absolute judgement of NHRA... 3) engages in unsportsmanlike conduct or any conduct detrmental to the sport of racing, or 4) otherwise creates a condition or circumstance that is unsafe, unfair, or out of order shall have violated the rules and regulations of NHRA and is subject to disciplinary action.

Rule 19 has been used many times before.

Edited by johnc

I'm going to reiterate my previous post... at the TV level - racing is a business. PERIOD. You think John doesn't know what is best for his business and racing in general.

You think there is something altogether special about the Busch or Earnhardt family... so much so they can have brothers racing? You are nuts. It is all about opportunity, the means, and the BUSINESS of racing.

You think John Force's actions would have been ok at a local racing level you are crazy. NHRA = money and John has made his fortune playing this business. Go big or go home. If the NHRA wants to try and outlaw "team" racing - do it. It will change the PROFESSION of drag racing. Until then - they have to live with what they've set up for rules.

Well put, it was what I was trying to say but you did it better. The NHRA needs sponsors ask: Hillary Will, Rod Fuller, Melanie Troxel, JR Todd, or Tommy Johnson Jr, they have all be looking for rides (sponsors) all season. Sometimes they get a few race deal but because of the lack of sponsors they can not run all. So it is all about the sponsor's money. Look at the state of the NHRA, it is never live. Tape delayed behing Little League. After watching this weekend I can not wait for Pomona.

I'm going to reiterate my previous post... at the TV level - racing is a business. PERIOD. You think John doesn't know what is best for his business and racing in general.

You think there is something altogether special about the Busch or Earnhardt family... so much so they can have brothers racing? You are nuts. It is all about opportunity, the means, and the BUSINESS of racing.

You think John Force's actions would have been ok at a local racing level you are crazy. NHRA = money and John has made his fortune playing this business. Go big or go home. If the NHRA wants to try and outlaw "team" racing - do it. It will change the PROFESSION of drag racing. Until then - they have to live with what they've set up for rules.

Cheating is such a hateful word...

Then again, has he been sanctioned for what is alleged?

If not, was it really cheating?

It's like a bear in the woods that knocks over a tree. Two questions there that people have been debating for the ages...