HybridZ

Say What You Want About ZCAR.COM

johnc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. That thread would have went to the tool shed here, which is the way it should be.

Agreed!

After having posted the answers to that guys questions at LEAST three times previously (in detail) I was just shocked that anybody could, in good concience, post that question.

It showed me there was not any searching involved.

And the gist of the 'beat down' was this: If you aren't willing to expend effort, why should anybody take time to answer you---it will never happen so our time would be wasted.

The gist of any answer was: Give me what I want! You are an a$$ for not posting exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it, in what format I wanted!

I mean, the guy called me an a$$ for posting 'wow, shocked...'

With salutations to Mag58 for kindling this next jewel from his post phrasing, to paraphrase the words of the old TV setup: "This is a test, for the next 5 posts this experienced forum member will be conducting a test of your mental reasoning and congnitive abilities. Remember, this is only a test."

"FAIL!"

The first answer set the tone for the rest. There are plenty of situations where I have given detailed answers to noobs after posting the stuff countless times before. There are people who come to LEARN, and genuinely need that first little nudge to get started. Then there are guys like this, who aren't interesting in learning...they want it spooned to them.

I resent that:fmad:

Now, to get these damn expense reports submitted so I can pay my cc bill before leaving for Spa.:mrgreen:

[Rant]

Again I apologize for my generation. I've heard people call us Gen Y, the Information Generation, etc. etc. Really we should be called the entitlement generation.

For some reason, far from me, an odd thing happened to children born past about 1985 (for what it's worth, I'm in the middle of 89) that they grew up believing that they're entitled to many of the things that all of you guys had to work for.

John C: I feel that everyone goes through a stage in their life where they have bad tastes in cars, if I haven't gone through it already I'm sure I will. However, I bet you worked for your stuff, your knowledge, and your outstanding skill in fabrication and suspension setups. It's not like someone just went to you and was like, oh hello, let me give you all this stuff. You didn't just come here and people instantly respected your word (well, you are JohnC So... WWJCD?) but you worked for you knowledge, skill and respect. Apparently we as a group cannot. It just hurts too much...

I go to a college where about once a semester, someone writes in the school newspaper that all the professors need to stop being mean and realize that every student deserves at least a B. What in the hell makes you believe that you deserve a B just for showing up? I'm sure in real life when you have to eek out your own living your boss will be like, Oh I know you're a complete retard, but lets be honest, you deserve at least 50k just for showing up to work and acting like a vegetable.

The kind of work ethic that has infected today's kids is disgusting. If they don't get it, that's alright, someone will do it for them and that's what they deserve.

Even though my father was an excellent help to me when learning how to work my way around a set of wheels, he by no means held my hand. When I was looking for a "classic" car for when I turned 16, my dad opened the garage door and said, "The old mini shell is out there, so is the tool box. I'll help you figure out how to do something bit you've got to do it yourself. Go have fun".

I cant wait until we get into the real world and they figure out there are no free lunches. When the current group of half way intelligent adults finally buys the farm there are no more 'gimmie's'.

I understand that there are many exceptions to this rule, Mat (flatblack) and ??? (skib) both show that it is possible for there to be hope for this current crop of semi-youth. I know there are others around here I just don't commonly have the ages off the top of my head. But I feel that by the group as a whole, we just expect the world to sort things out for us and life will be perfect when we get there.

....about that.

[/rant]

pretty much sums it up Mag :mrgreen:

I find myself muttering "what happened to natural selection..." far to often :icon56:

when I wanted a Z I could only do a tune up, but I went and got a beater Z. Then found out I needed to pick up a wrench and so I picked up a manual, signed up for Hybrid and just started reading and absorbing every bit of my new found passion that I could find. and i still do this today and will continue to do so

since then Iv owned 3 Z's, built my own turbo motor, done 5 motor swaps, and spent countless hours turning the wrench.

Im also lucky enough to know some incredibly intelligent and experienced guys like BRAAP, RTz and HughDogZ who have let me hang around and try and learn a thing or two :cool::2thumbs:

[Rant]

I go to a college where about once a semester, someone writes in the school newspaper that all the professors need to stop being mean and realize that every student deserves at least a B. What in the hell makes you believe that you deserve a B just for showing up? I'm sure in real life when you have to eek out your own living your boss will be like, Oh I know you're a complete retard, but lets be honest, you deserve at least 50k just for showing up to work and acting like a vegetable.

[/rant]

No... freaking.. way...

Well to add on to the generational problem, the kids these days also think because they have a college degree they'll instantly be handed a cushy job, a nice office and a wad of cash.

I personally know 5 people up here that have BAs [most are Business Majors] that cannot find jobs. A good friend of mine got his BA in Marketing, looked for a job up here for a year, couldn't find one, moved to Dallas, still couldn't find one, and now is thinking about moving back up here as the cost of living is much cheaper.

I met a friend from High School on campus today that also graduated in May with a Marketing degree, she was still working for an hourly student's job wage as she couldn't find a job.

I was a business major for 3 years. I woke up one day and realized, "What the hell am I doing, I don't even like business and have no clue what I would do with a degree." I switched to Geosciences and am currently a Geography major. I worked as a graphics designer for 2 years at LSU for Facilities Management creating graphics for the HVAC systems on campus. I transferred up to Arkansas and simply walked in, no resume' in hand or anything, just a portfolio, and was immediately hired for a few dollars more than I was getting at LSU.

I guess the point of all that is we ARE an entitled generation and just want to jump through hoops without thinking of what is going to be best in the long run. "Well if I get a BA than I'll definitely get a job, right?"

I'm very grateful to have learned this lesson early on, as my parents were supportive of me but did not give me everything I wanted. I thank them for this now, even though at the time I was mad they wouldn't give me a brand new M3 for my 16th Birthday :) It seems like the maturity level was reached at an earlier age in previous generations, and "Generation Ys" are still whiney needy kids that have a lot of growing up to do.

To echo your comment, Tony, I have felt like an old man many times as compared to my peers, with my disgust for "MTV" and other things like that.

I'm glad HybridZ is the way it is, and that's the way it should be!!

To be honest having the S30 has helped me grow even more, while I've had friends give me advice, in the end no one else is going to get under your car for you or work a second job so you can have a project car at the age of 19.

Thanks for the props, Bob. It's good to talk to someone who isn't a 12 year old at heart like so many of our age :)

- Flatty OUT :burnout:

lol I think Mag, Flatty, and I are already there

Those Gottdang kids keep skateboarding on the sidewalks!!

Also, I about soiled my pants when I heard that to get into U of A you need a 20 on the ACT. A 20. I got a 27 as a sophmore in High School. I'm pretty sure you get a 20 if you write your name down, and select all of one letter. "Hmmm... 'C' looks good today."

I thought LSU was low at 24. What is wrong with the world??!?!

lol I think Mag, Flatty, and I are already there

I am totally in on this one too. I'm an '85er and for the most part have had to work for everything I have. For some reason I've always been disgusted by the current fads or what have you (aside from cars I guess, me likey stretchey) and have had the mantra of 'damn kids' since I graduated highschool at 17.

What Skib said about lowering the standards is sadly true.

A 20? Didn't they change the rating systems for the ACT, or was that the SAT? I remember our old business manager at Getty was a Harvard Grad that played ball for them (Gary Quantoch)---his joke was that Harvard required a 760 on EACH section of the SAT, and that The Big 10 required 760 combined. We all got a laugh about that. At least some of us did. The guy who was the Texas Aggie was not amused. Curiously he was the only one the company retained when they sold out...

I know some of the guys I hung around with had to retake the ACT because the USAF Academy required like a 26 to get in...and they didn't have it. I was like 'you didn't get a 26?' They were kind of shocked when I had a 27. Barely eligible...

So they both ended up going, geting booted out on honors violations... one became an Exotic Dancer in Florida, the other went to MIT for post grad work. The exotic dancer went on disability for falling off the stage and injuring his knee pretty badly...so he got a free retraining package and was able to take time off and complete school. I think he sells insurance products. The MIT guy still makes jokes about our sliderules and pocket protectors and whenever we coordinate a meeting we make sure to find a vintage pocket protector to one-up each other. I have a NASA/COSMODYNE/APOLLO 11 that shut him down bigtime last time we met. I think after that he's been avoiding me.

You all know what happened to me! LOL

"We Digress"

In 85-89 I was spewing genes all over asia. Notably Korea and the PI.

None of you guys are Korean, Thai, Okinawian, Phillipino immigrants, are you? "I could be your father"...

That would explain a lot of our similarities in outlook and bitterness.