HybridZ

video of rear disk conversion

That is interesting you didnt get full pad engagement. I'm running 280zx rotors and 280zx calipers with zraceproducts brackets.. and as you can see my pads cover the whole rotor surface:

0823091737.jpg

The maxima brackets look about the same as mine, rotors are looking very similar too...

What calipers are you using? It almost looks like theyre sitting themselves high rather than the rotors being too small... though its hard to say either way.

Edit:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102340&highlight=rear+brakes

Looks like thats the way they run with Maxima calipers... though I imagine using ZX calipers will get more pad on the rotor and do a little more braking for you...

That is interesting you didnt get full pad engagement. I'm running 280zx rotors and 280zx calipers with zraceproducts brackets.. and as you can see my pads cover the whole rotor surface:

0823091737.jpg

The maxima brackets look about the same as mine, rotors are looking very similar too...

What calipers are you using? It almost looks like theyre sitting themselves high rather than the rotors being too small... though its hard to say either way.

Edit:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102340&highlight=rear+brakes

Looks like thats the way they run with Maxima calipers... though I imagine using ZX calipers will get more pad on the rotor and do a little more braking for you...

I think they are maxima calipers? I'm getting the zx one if thats what you have. I thought they looked way to high? I want full coverage.

Big Phil,

I think the brake dics are not the correct ones. With this swap (using Maxima calipers and brackets), there will be a gap between the calipers and the brake center hubs. The correct discs for this swap are the 1984-85 300zx non-turbo, non-canadian rear rotors, and they need to be turned to a diameter of 11.225 + - .025 (any brake shop can do this for you for less than $10 each). These are the same dics used for the 240SX rear disc brake swap sold by MM. When the correct dics are used, all of the pads will be on the dics. I think "Auxillary" posted a link recently on where to get these discs for cheap. The beauty of this swap is that it will fit under most 14' wheels (slotted mags) which does not apply to your case.

Hope this helps,

Huy

I think they are maxima calipers? I'm getting the zx one if thats what you have. I thought they looked way to high? I want full coverage.

There are also 2 types of Maxima bracket. There were 2 different diameters of rotor used on the various years. One bracket spaced the caliper out farther than the other to compensate for the larger diameter. It looks to me like you have a mismatched set.

Mongo

• 3 months later...

to make this all simple what will i need for this rear disk brake conversion?

I have a 78 280z.

what year 280zx calipers would i need?

what car rotors will i need? year/make/model.

what car brakets will i need? year/make/model.

is this all i need?

Thanks