HybridZ

PLS SHARE WITH ME..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i need to know if that Q45 swap has been done yet,it seems everyone just stopped talking about it.

need more info.

Doesn't the latest edition of the JTR manual show a picture of a Z with an Infiniti 32 valve V8? Or was it a Toyota 32 valve V8.

The JTR book said it was a very pretty installation, but very expensive, time consuming and produced a slower car than a Chevy swap.

I guess if you have the bucks for an infiniti motor than you can probably afford to experiment a little. If you do it post lots of pictures so we can all follow.

i hear you jim but guess what even though it will be a bit more expensive than the chevy swap it WILL still be a nissan swap and thats keeping it all nissan.

and for me here in canada i've priced a complete motor with harness for 3,800 canadian$ and another guy wanted 1,800$ for the same motor,how could i go wrong??with about 290bhp stock there are ways i could get another 30-50bhp form that motor.i call that a deal and did i mention that these motors generally have less than 50,000k yes KILOMETERS either ways i looks like a good deal to me for a long term project.

imagine a good head job and some perfomance parts on this motor........SOMEBODY SCHTOP ME. b_hand.gif

Originally posted by javv:

i hear you jim but guess what even though it will be a bit more expensive than the chevy swap it WILL still be a nissan swap and thats keeping it all nissan.

Hmm. Purist police here. I don't understand how it being all Nissan means anything. Please read the opening page "Mission" statement. Purist junk like "all Nissan" has no place here. If you're kidding, fine, but I don't see a smiley. If you're not, leave that garbage out of any posts here and take it to Zcar where that sentiment is welcomed.

i guess folks are a little too sensitive to that all nissan crap here according to the head honcos,no pete there was no smiley face 'cos i wasn't laughing if you read my post i said in it that i found a complete motor with the harness for way less than i would do a SBC set-up which my the way is what i'll be doing to my first 240z

so i dont hate the BOWTIE or any other makes,when i found a big block mopar for 600$ i thought that was my way out too.

my decision has nothing to do with being a purist

just want to spend my $$$$$ a little wisely thats all. malebitchslap.gif

Man, I saw that one coming twak.gif

Actually a nice high tech, 32 valve V8 would make for a pretty eye opening ride. The two things that would make me think twice are the high entry cost (expensive engine) and the lack of detailed information on the swap.

Looks like you have the first one covered (although you didn't mention whether you had a transmission).

The second one could be more of a can of worms. I'll look into my JTR manaual again tonight to see if it was an infiniti or lexus engine. Either way you may want to email the JTR guy and see if he will forward a message to whoever owned the car in his book. Even a few pointers might save you a ton of trial and error. Doesn't look like too many Q45 swap guys are on this site.

Guest bang847

yeah i think we all might be jumping a gun here.. Last MSA show i finally got to meet a purist. First encounter.. dude mention a V8 swap and he was challenging me to bring any V8 to race him.. (hey DAVE! yours is the only HYBRIDZ I have rode in)

I think javv isn't insinuating that "all nissan" is what a true Z enthuasist is but instead i think the thought of a "all nissan aluminum v8 Z" would be really Neat-o. :D

Perhaps a flaming is what javv gets for recently venting his fustration by not getting answers for the same question he asked multiple times.

But javv, you got to realize not everyone has answers for you question. for example

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000239

when i first read this it sounded really out there.. not to say impossible but out there.. when there are no answers you gotta go out there and make them yourself...

just think about the first guys who though about putting a 350 into a z! what were they thinking? are they nuts? :confused:

my answer is... yes... they are... rockon.gif

the q45 question has been around a few months ago but has not been done yet.

apparently there are probably many difficulties in installing a sophistated luxury v8

remember nobody really messes with these engines even when they sit is a q45!

So to all the guys who arent willing to take the challenege in doing something new it could be that they are scared to doing it wrong or perhaps they are just comfortable with what they know.

me myself I got a completely stock car. I dont plan on doing a swap anytime soon because of money,school, work etc.. and so on.. but eventually I know it will happen.. as of now I merely read and learn.. it is easy to badger experts with questions that you dont really care about so with that said the problem could be that your asking for all the answers to something that is somewhat unconventional/difficult without all true intentions of carrying out the actions.

I gotta say all the guys on this board are great guys even though i have only met a minute fraction of them. but Im sure those resident experts dont appreciate being runned around for free information that might be discarded.

Sorry this is getting long.. but can we all just get along?

Well, I'm happy for you that you found a nice motor YOU want to put in for cheap - I'm all for ANY cool car project!

But that doesn't mean that a comment like "all Nissan" doesn't come off as purist. I'll be posting something in the Announcements forum about how this place is run, what the rules mean, etc. I suggest everyone that hasn't been here a while read it.

And yes, the founding fathers of this site and others here ARE sensitive to the "all Nissan" stuff. And we have formed this site for just that reason.

One factor that I'll throw out there is that the Q45 doesn't have much in the line of upgrade parts that are reasonably priced. There are decent ALL Nissan swaps out there like ZR8ED's as an option. Plenty of stuff out there to bolt into a Zcar... Just understand our mission on this site. And based on your previous post that I deleted this morning in the Non-tech BB, I'll warn you up front... We are watching you, and I'd recommend curbing your comments. Could we be jumping the gun a little bit? Sure. We run a tight ship here, and that is the reason for our success... Just a little friendly advice.

Mike Kelly

I like the Q45 idea just because it hasn't been done very much. Chevy engines in a Z are like fart pipes on a honda, they are everywhere.

You have to admit, a nice fuel injected DOHC V-8 would have to be sweet. I bet it runs pretty good, gets good gas mileage, and attracts some attention when the hood is raised. Plus if done right, it should be able to be conected to Nissans diagnostic stuff, which he would not be able to do with a SBC.

I think the difference would be akin to having my old 305 from my 95 chev truck dropped in place of the 5.3 my 2000 Silverado has. No comparison. The LS1 style new generation small block rocks.

Personally, I like turbo power, and I really like the inline 6. I guess you could call me a purist, but I do have cobra MAF. I would love a 240z with an LS6 and a 6 speed in it, but the entrance fee is way to high.

Good luck with your swap. I like your idea.

I think the swap in the JTR manual was a Lexus V8. I like the idea of a Q45 swap. I'm all for modern technology and if you could handle the cost and engineering involved then go for it. Innovation is always a good thing 2thumbs.gif We all should be open minded to any engine swap as long as it makes the car perform better. That should be the goal of any HybridZ. Engine manufacturer should be irrelavent. If you go forward with the swap, please document the project for future reference.

Guest Anonymous

I think the RB26DETT would be a better swap as you get equal power as you get from your V8, its lighter, its easy to mod a turbo, Its been know to run in the 1000hp range, and its all nissan (yeah I said it, and dont see any reason why it was a problem its not like he said all Nissan was better) I am sure it will be expensive but hey speed costs money, why not start on the right foot.

"all Nissan"

Show me some reason, other than silly brand loyalty, that this sentiment means anything?

We're here to make these cars better, not to worry about paying homage to Nissan, Chevy, etc.

Read the mission statement. I'm serious about this. HybridZ will NOT be a place where people are allowed to say "it's all Nissan" and defend it. It's not free speech, and it's not a democracy.

HybridZ was started to GET AWAY from that BS, and as long as I'm a moderator, I'm not going to let it slide.

There are plenty of places on the net you can say "all Nissan" like it's some kind of virtue, but this isn't one of them.

just a newsflash for the "purist". You don't have much of a "nissan" engine in a 240z to start with, since the straigh 6 2.4 happens to be a MERCEDES motor. That's right, blueprinted and created after the 60s series of mercedes L-motors, aluminum head, iron block, ohc, the works. Nissan licensed the motor from mercedes and just reproduced it.

I have a really dumb question then, if you don't like Nissan brand loyalty, then why is there a section on here for L6's. Why not leave that out if that is what you intended?

I admit I am a Nissan fan, but you know what I really think is funny. When I take my ZX to the track and lay a major smackdown on some redneck who put a chevy motor is his Z and thinks it is fast. It is a win win for me, since if I lose, he's got a V-8, and if I win, he's got a V-8.

The guys main point was he came across a sweet deal on an infiniti v-8, and even you would have to admit, sticking that in a Z would require alot more technical skill than simply dropping a SBC in one. He has way more factory support since the thing will hook up to Nissan diagnostic equip, he has JWT so he could do some mods to the car, and it is DOHC with 48 valves. Cut the guy a little slack. That is a serious hybrid Z, even if it is all Nissan.

I bet it would be a sweet ride too. Maybe alot of us are here because we are not exactly purist in every sense of the word. After all, my car has different parts on it that it did not come with. YEs most are still Nissan, but to a purist, I would have to put it back totally stock, which I think sucks. I want to go fast in my own way, and just because you or someone else doesn't like it doesn't you have to have a cow about it. That is what the motto says, when stock doesn't cut it. It may be a stock nissan engine, but it didn't come stock in a Z.

Chill man.

Thats my .02 times 2. :D

As for myself, I'm brand-blind. When stock don't cut it, for me, usually Nissan stuff bolts in better, as the car was originally Nissan. As for an Infiniti swap - that would be way cool - but I wouldn't go out of my way 'cause it sounds like a real bear of a swap.

And I'm with you Lockjaw - it is way cool to kick around the V8s with a "stock" 6-banger (at least the heavy V8s, a V8 Z is a tough one to beat).

I am chilled. I'm just sticking up for what this site was built on.

Why do we have an L6 forum? That's a good question. There was a 6cyl forum, and then they all got broken up. And I'm all for tweaking whatever motor you want, Nissan or otherwise.

But having a Nissan engine under your hood isn't a necessary condition for someone to be brand-loyal. It may have to do with finances, what they know the most about, what they get a deal on, what aftermarket parts they can get worked on easiest/cheapest, etc., just as you point out.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder where you're coming from. Are all people who put V8's in their Zs rednecks in your judgement? I hope that's not what you meant, because that kind of negativity isn't needed here.

I wrote the mission statement and I know what it says. As a moderator, I have to come in and set things straight every once and a while to keep things going in the intended direction. That's my perogative. If I'm not all nice and happy-happy-joy-joy when I do it, that's my perogative.

And it's fine if he got a deal on an Infinit V-8. I'd love to see that swap!

But the way he did it was out of line and I said so. Then the "all Nissan" comment. This kind of behavior is NOT what we want on HybridZ.

I think their is more than one kind of behavior that "we" are not about. I made the redneck comment to make a point, it does tend to have a negative sound to it, and I think you as a moderator, and the person who wrote the misson statment should really set an example as to how you want people on the board to act.

If you have to come in and be rude as a moderator to someone who was being rude on the board, thats one thing, but the guy was not being rude about the nissan comment. He did not make it sound like Nissan is superior, and without clarification, we might not know. He could have meant its Nissan, which means he won't need metric and SAE sockets.

I just hate it when someone has a hard on for someone who likes Nissan. I like Nissan stuff, shoot me. Me lumping V-8 people (like you) into the redneck category is/was no different than you labeling that guy a purist.

You obviously like Nissan to a degree, you have at least one of their cars. Cut the guy some slack, and give him the benefit of the doubt. One comment does not make him a purist, multiple ones do. That is all I am saying, and it took a butt load of bandwidth to do it.

Originally posted by auxilary:

just a newsflash for the "purist". You don't have much of a "nissan" engine in a 240z to start with, since the straigh 6 2.4 happens to be a MERCEDES motor. That's right, blueprinted and created after the 60s series of mercedes L-motors, aluminum head, iron block, ohc, the works. Nissan licensed the motor from mercedes and just reproduced it.

My beloved Nissan engine is descended from a diesel? That sucks. :D