HybridZ

Any tach issues when using stock dizzy and MS?

Scott_M67

I've been reading through the MS threads and read where there can be problems with getting the factory tach to work, at least when using a different ignition system like EDIS. Can someone confirm if there any problems with getting the factory tach to work when using the stock turbo dizzy with MS 1 or MS 2.

I've been on the fence on which MS to purchase, the cost difference is pretty minimal and it seems like MS2 is becoming widely used now. My main concern has been with reading about some guys having stability issues with the units and needing to occasionaly reload software when the system hickups, certainly not very ideal for a driver. Can this be due to a grounding issue or wires not shielded properly?

Also is there any reason you can not or should not use a stock idle Valve with MS 1 or 2?

Yes, the tach works as it always did. I use the "air bypass valve" for cold fast idle with MSII. I did not tie the valve to MS. It just gets powered when the car starts. If the car is cold, it will idle fast.

I had a few issues in the beginning with MSII not booting up, but I think those issues were due to my old laptop doing strange things, and some faulty relays I was using.

They are talking about the coolant lines to the Idle Air Control.

I'm thinking about just hooking up my IAC to a switch. I don't know where I'm going to route the air lines though.

I have no problem with my tach as I'm still using a coil and the ZXT dizzy, TR was having problems with his car running EDIS. Chris did you ever figure out what to do?

• 2 years later...

I know, old old thread back from the dead.

But I am currently digging into the archives in preparation for Megasquirting my L28ET, and I was wiring my ignition this weekend. The 280Z has a resistor in series with the tachometer signal from the coil (-), and mine is missing. What is the value of that resistor? Does anyone have one they can spare?

I know, old old thread back from the dead.

But I am currently digging into the archives in preparation for Megasquirting my L28ET, and I was wiring my ignition this weekend. The 280Z has a resistor in series with the tachometer signal from the coil (-), and mine is missing. What is the value of that resistor? Does anyone have one they can spare?

I measured 2.3 kOhms. But I need to keep mine.