HybridZ

Buiolding a Turbo car for a Customer

Hey guys. I am building a turbo car for a difficult customer. He has sent me a very nice stock, running and driving 75 280z and a ton of parts. I will have to supply some of the parts and he will pay for them. I will also supply All the labor to build the entire car. I gave him a ball park figure and He Choked. I don't think he realizes what it cost to do what he wants and he keeps adding more every day.

So. I would like to see what you guys think it should cost to do this build.

Here is a list of what he wants done. His goal is 275+hp

So let me know what you think

thanks

tc

I will try to get it all in this post but I am sure there will be more. Remember all of what I am doing will require the stock car to be disassembled first. No parts Just labor.

20-40 hours on the phone with customer

Track down most all parts needed to do the build

install 350 seats,

install 2 new rear view mirrors

stereo system,

complete polly suspension system front and rear and steering

struts and springs

take car for new tires

trans and rear mount

new shifter boots

toyota brake upgrade with stainless lines

rebuild rear brakes

mount 240z rear bumper

re-key all door and hatch locks

door seals

quarter glass seals inners and outers

disassemble and reassemble turbo motor with all new external parts and some new internal

remove old motor and trans

install new motor and trans

mount intercooler

build and install IC pipes and hoses

clean and paint under hood and engine compartment. It has undercoating all over it

install new 3" exhaust system

mod new exhaust for wastegate dump

install and tune MSD setup

build fuel system complete front to rear

custom add on injector setup and tuning

tune and install all electronics for new motor setup

Detail the entire setup

Drive the car from Knoxville TN to Orlando to deliver and fly home

I am sure I left out a bunch of stuff. I'll add to a new post when I remember it.

So, what do you think all this should cost?

thanks Men

tc

Oh my. What did you quote him originally?

For the price of these cars, it doesn't make any sense to have someone else to the work. If I were to do all that on my car I would expect to pay at least $1000 just for mechanic labor, then add tuning and transportation costs, etc etc. It seems like you still have alot of parts to buy, as well as paint and body work. Also the total parts cost would probably be 3 or 4 times what I paid for my 78.

I don't know much about the mechanics per hour cost though so I could be waaay underselling.

The guy is from Orlando? I think he might be trying to keep up with the MKIVs and is going to be really disappointed with whatever he does.

What was your original quote?

Here is what I think...if the guy is balking already I would walk...no...run away from this. You are setting yourself up for a massive headache. Tell him your price..if he doesnt like it tell him to go somewhere else. That is a lot of work you describe and its mostly custom work. Just my 2c

I don't know what your shop rate is but, from the list I'm thinking around the $50k - $60k range. Parts can't be all that bad but, looks like a lot of hours that will need to be put into resto/upgrade list. Baseing it on what it would run in a shop here on the west coast.

Do tell what you quoted your customer for the work.

Depending on the level of detail and your working situation (shop overhead) I would say around 10K (labor and shop rate only). Sounds like at least a full month long build.

I personally would sit down with him and see how serious he is about the project. Find out what his realistic budget is and then go over the parts and how long you think it will realistically take you. I would then charge him per hour and keep track of everything really close. I dont know how often you do work, but once you do it a few times you will have an idea on what to charge after that.

People dont realise how much time it takes to do a lot of the modifications that they want. And being older cars people arent willing to drop money like new ones. Its common place for 350z to have 8K dollar wheel and brake setups and 20K in the engine. When people take their dd sedans to the shop they are paying 90 dollars per hour and are charged the hour rate per job (usually takes half the time) but yet they think nothing about it. When you are using expensive tools and pouring bloood sweat and tears into cleaning up old parts that somehow isn't worth as much.....

DONT DO IT CHEAP, make it worth it. He can always find someone else to do crappier work for a cheaper price. Also I would make him pay at least half labor up front.

Well let me try and break it down...

i normally charge by the day on big stuff...

1-MOTOR pull and install will take a day

2-Rear suspension (shocks/springs/bushings)

3-Front suspension (shocks/springs/bushings)

4-Brakes

5-Locks and Seals

6- Install Seats/mirrors/Get tires

7-Motor rebuild

8-IC Piping/Mounting/Exhaust

9-Fuel system

10-Install Standalone/Tuning

11-Spraying/FINAL DETAILING

Thats just a short list not counting parts, tuning going well, if sh!t goes wrong/need something thats out of stock time...etc. And that is 2 weeks worth of work if not 3 working by yourself so if it was me i would be charging around 300-500 a day, because the tuning and such (if you have a dyno in shop or use your trust butt dyno) would normally cost around 500 a day with a tuner, now also if i weld an exhaust/ic setup i normally charge around 250-300 a piece ($5-600 day) but things like suspension are easy to me and that would be why i say easier which would be the $300days.

I was like WHAATTTT at a couple of quotes from the guys above (obviously 50-60 is rediculous) but after you start adding it up it would be from 6-10k i would say.

Edit- i forgot about having to drive it to him so add another day and then a plane or bus ticket...so i would say in the 8-12k range woul be more like it.

A: this cats got mad funds he wants to blow on a Z (doubtful)

B: This cats lazy as hell (Very Likely) and He's wanting to have bragging rights that a Shop did his work but he doesn't wanna pay shop pricing for the work.

Owning a Z is so much for than just a car there's the blood sweat and tears you put into making it yours its like owning a custom Guitar. If you build it it'll cost you a$$ loads of time and energy but your overhead cost will be much lower. However if you have a Custom PRS or Strat or Les Paul built your gonna pay a Premo Price for it. What it boils down to is how much is your money(as the consumer) worth and how much is your workmanship(as a business owner/mechanic/restorer) worth? When you have someone work on your car your PAYING for someone to WORK on YOUR car so i'd want someone doing a damn good job. Your work is worth what it is and if he demands your quality he'll pay for it and hopefully get what he pays for. Your quote for a build up isn't too unreasonable at all he should be thankful or perhaps consider working on his own vehicle a little more himself and have you do the big stuff. just my $0.02 on the matter

~J

Guest Rolling Parts

Since the original 280ZX turbo was 180rwhp, then going to 275+hp means custom turbo, injectors, ECU, etc, etc. Of course it will cost him a "pant load" for custom engine builds done by a shop.

Give him an honest quote.

After he turns you down and then fails miserably; he'll see you're honest and then you will have a life long customer...

Thanks guys. Like I said, He will be paying for all the parts upfront. I am a privateer. Low overhead. Here's a pic of what he wants. This is my car. (I just sold)

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

I think I WAYYY Underpriced the job:iospalo:

I'm gonna link this thread to him so he can decide if he wants.

LSX swap or bust.

Hell, he could have a heads and cam LQ4 6.0 like me for what, 5K for an ENTIRE setup? Throw a little juice at her and then most of the MKIV's wouldn't stand a chance.

Just wondering...but what in the hell does that have to do with anything posted? Please take your "just throw a v8 in it" crap back to the proper section and either add something useful next time or dont post at all. Thanks

The guy is from Orlando? I think he might be trying to keep up with the MKIVs and is going to be really disappointed with whatever he does.

This will decimate all after you put about 10k in parts and overnight from japan......

Paul%20Walker%20and%20the%20Supra.jpg

LOL sorry i couldn't help my self I know its played out.........

It sounds like you are getting in WAY over your head! You need to give this guy a SOLID time line or he is going to FREAK!! He seems like the type that wants it done NOW. Give him a dead line for parts and what he want done, write out a day by day chart (give PLENTY of time) and give him a set cost. That way you are covered when it takes 15 months to get this done.......

Have fun!:redface:

I don't think he is out to burn me. I think he just doesn't understand all the time and effort involved. I want to be completely fair with him. But I have to be fair to myself too.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to charge an hourly rate. There is just too much to do to put a final number on it up front. This way the car can make it to the level he wants based on what he wants to spend, and I get paid for my time accordingly.

He'll probably come out better this way too. I can put it together pretty quick once I have All the parts. Tuning takes time to get spot on.