HybridZ

turbo swap questions (be gentle)

WreZ

hey flatblack which SVO injectors (part number?)were you running? the only SVO injectors i could find were for the mustang SVO that were 24# ones? I'm probably going to go with the supra 440's i had lined up though. Ok so my plan for right now is to get my Megasquirt kit, EDIS lined up and installed first followed by rrfpr (or at the same time as MS?) just to get a feel for MS and EDIS tuning/install (and also to give me time to recover after the $400+ purchase of said items). I'll probably stay with that setup for a while before installing the turbo and mani, intercooler, installing new/thicker head gasket, tapping oil lines in oil pan etc. Probably install injectors and fuel pump in between the true NA to turbo conversion and the 240sx TB when setting up MS and EDIS. That sound good? Also as far as turbo's go are stock t3's pretty easy/cheap to get my hands on? none of the u-pull-its around here seem to have any turbo ZX's on lot (anyone wanna "donate" one to me? haha)

Well i'm off to go lurk for some EDIS info, toodles!

hey flatblack which SVO injectors (part number?)were you running? the only SVO injectors i could find were for the mustang SVO that were 24# ones? I'm probably going to go with the supra 440's i had lined up though. Ok so my plan for right now is to get my Megasquirt kit, EDIS lined up and installed first followed by rrfpr (or at the same time as MS?) just to get a feel for MS and EDIS tuning/install (and also to give me time to recover after the $400+ purchase of said items). I'll probably stay with that setup for a while before installing the turbo and mani, intercooler, installing new/thicker head gasket, tapping oil lines in oil pan etc. Probably install injectors and fuel pump in between the true NA to turbo conversion and the 240sx TB when setting up MS and EDIS. That sound good? Also as far as turbo's go are stock t3's pretty easy/cheap to get my hands on? none of the u-pull-its around here seem to have any turbo ZX's on lot (anyone wanna "donate" one to me? haha)

Well i'm off to go lurk for some EDIS info, toodles!

Where did you get $400? Just wondering. I'm looking at your list of things needed and I'm thinking at least $1000.

MS alone is going to be a tad more than $400 even if you build it yourself [assuming you get the relay board]

Do you already have the Turbo stuff/ [ex mani, oil pump, etc?] Derek's CNC stuff is awesome, but it isn't cheap either [i'm thinking Chris said something around $200, do a search]. EDIS should be about $100 if you get a good deal AFAIK, Chris got his for around that I think.

I have an extra 240sx TB I can get for you if you are looking for one. PM me if you do.

I have an extra T3 but you can't have it ;) I have 4 T3s, actually, two are on my cars though. Gotta have insurance!! But yes, they are cheap. Don't pay over $100 for a used one.

I think it's a good idea to do the MS install first. I had a helluva time getting mine to work and it would have been easier [i guess haha] to do MS then the turbo swap.

A buddy with a XRTi Merkur is getting them for me, they are O-Ring, I have no idea what part number they are or what they come off of. I'll shoot him a message real quick.

i had meant getting MS and EDIS for about $400, i was planning on getting the relay board so i guess i need to add that into my budget. Like they always say, double your budget triple your labor hours! Its been a while since i've been on DIYAUTOTUNE's site (where i'm getting MS) but i remember MS V3 being ~$250 for the DIY kit and then the relay board being ~$50, guess my memory is starting to fail me. My plan for getting EDIS was to pull it from a 90's ford ranger, the u-pull by me is crawling with them (guy said they have 10+ on lot) and i'm thinking i could get away with nabbing the module and coil packs for pretty cheap (owner knows my dad, CONNECTIONS!) but the rrfpr would cost me another 100+ so yeah i guess i need to reevaluate some of my items prices eh?! Trying to talk to my friends friend about the supra injectors but he's being kind of an ass so we'll see how that pans out.

Well the main idea was to get MS up and running and get used to it then add EDIS into the mix along with the rrfpr then start the turbo conversion once i get some more cash behind me.

I'd been looking for a 240sx throttle body so expect a PM flatblack!

well more research to do, see ya'll

Guest Rolling Parts
ugh, sorry to double post but i was looking through this page:

http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com/2005/11/megasquirt-ignition-control-quick.html

and it says that megasquirt V3 has the ability to read a VR sensor directly, so (theoretically/practically)does that mean i could run MS with EDIS without the EDIS module?

No. The module controls the coil pack. MS would need 3 channels/BIP373 to do it. You probably could, but why mess with the simplicity that makes EDIS so attractive in the first place?

Just set MS up with EDIS as a Hall sensor signal and it works very, very well. The beauty is not only simplicity but all the parts are cheap and available. Only downside to EDIS is you have to mount the trigger wheel and VR. No real issue because you'll be fabricating for the swap anyway...

No. The module controls the coil pack. MS would need 3 channels/BIP373 to do it. You probably could, but why mess with the simplicity that makes EDIS so attractive in the first place?

Just set MS up with EDIS as a Hall sensor signal and it works very, very well. The beauty is not only simplicity but all the parts are cheap and available. Only downside to EDIS is you have to mount the trigger wheel and VR. No real issue because you'll be fabricating for the swap anyway...

oh ok. i know EDIS is simple and straightforward the only reason i was asking was that i thought i would be able to reduce the amount of wires running all over the place (yeah i know its dumb reason).

Ok so today i was looking at my engine bay and didn't really realize how little room there is in between the damper and the cooling fan. Would it be possible to fab a trigger wheel while retaining power steering? I could get used to not having power steering again, but now i'm kind of addicted to the luxury of it:mrgreen:. I have my AC disconnected would there be a way to mount my power steering pump down there (i'm aware its not the best spot in the world for it)

• 3 months later...

hey guys, sorry to resurect an old(er) thread but i had a few more quick questions if anyone is willing to answer them. So i got pretty much all the parts needed for the NA to turbo conversion but there was one this i was unsure on, are the dropping resistors from the NA motor the same as in the turbo motor?

Guest Rolling Parts
hey guys, sorry to resurect an old(er) thread but i had a few more quick questions if anyone is willing to answer them. So i got pretty much all the parts needed for the NA to turbo conversion but there was one this i was unsure on, are the dropping resistors from the NA motor the same as in the turbo motor?

Yes, both (stock)turbo and (stock)N/A injectors require the same 25W 6 Ohm resistors. Megasquirt offers alternatives but I'd suggest you read the basics first: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=88246

thanks rolling, one less part i have to buy. Actually i have come into possession of all the stock turbo parts except for the 2mm head gasket and i think once i get the HG and an intercooler i'll probably run that setup for a while before upgrading to MS and EDIS

• 2 months later...

hey guys sorry to bring up another one of my old threads but i'm back for some more advice. So i got all the parts needed for my turbo swap except for a few so i wanted to ask for your guys opinions on a few options for intercoolers and blow off valves. First off i'll be going to a junkyard next week where i'm hoping to find an intercooler off of a MKIII supra, some people say it flows poorly but is it really that bad for just a small horsepower bump like i was hoping to meet? (around 220-240) and also i'm not very well versed as far as blow off valves go, should i just buy a new one or try to pull one off of a car there and what cars would have blow off valves there? also while i'm on the subject i heard that i would need to get a BOV that also recirculates the air back into the system (something about the L28 being very finicky about the loss of the mass airflow?)

Hey guys hope not to throw anyone off but I'm throwing this out I just did a turbo motor swap (L28ET) in my 81 non turbo the motor came off my 83 turbo donor car motor and tranny(T-5), ok so I did a Z31 ecu swap with AFM and had a lik trouble making it run right from what I know so far that goes along with the ecu swap you also have to do the O2 sensor which I have not done yet but will order it on Monday the car ran fine but has a bi of a trouble taking off good it seems to want to turn off when it's at stops or I stutters a bit when taking off but does idle real good I tried a few AFM's that a buddy of mine had laying around they seem to help, but ilwhat I want to know is what the heck to I need if any of you guys gone threw the same problem with the ecu swap help me out!

QUOTE:" i heard that i would need to get a BOV that also recirculates the air back into the system (something about the L28 being very finicky about the loss of the mass airflow?)"

You could run without a BOV but you would probably be better off by using one. It will prevent compressor surge by relieving the compressed air flow that normally builds up when you lift the throttle and then returns to the turbo. Instead, it vents this air back into the intake or the atmosphere if you install it that way. The BOV should help the turbo to last longer and it will help the turbo to spool faster between shifts. I don't know about other cars that may be in the salvage yards and had them installed from the factory.

• 4 months later...

(bumping an old thread again, sorry)

does anyone think that i could run the stock turbo setup (stock boost, ecu, J-pipe etc) on my flat top engine or should i just bide my time and install when i get the funds for megasquirt and an intercooler?