HybridZ

My first Z!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up:

Rust repair, some minor body work - just need to stop the rust from spreading first.

I'll be stripping out the interior and possibly dynamatting the majority - yes I know this will add some weight but I want to be able to enjoy the car and quiet it down a little inside. Besides, it's something i've never done but have always wanted to do :D

I'll probably replace or at least refurbish the carpet. The seats need to be replaced or recovered. Not sure exactly what i'll do there just yet. I'll also need a dash cover - the cracks are a bit annoying.

It needs some more suspension work - bushings and sway bars are likely next, along with the shorter steering ratio arms (quicken up the steering).

shes going to get 4 piston front brakes and a rear disk conversion - hopefully that will give me the stopping power i'm after. It may need a larger master cylinder and booster as well.

engine wise - I still plan on a JZ power plant in the future (maybe)

This damn L28 just runs so great though :D I was able to get 26mpg hwy and it's actually got some decent lowend power.

So the thought comes to mind:

I have this ct26 turbo laying around that's in perfect condition. I also have a set of 440cc injectors, and an extra SAFC2.

Now the timing is vacuum advance so I can probably use the safc to modify the AFM signal and get 440cc injectors to run nice off boost. With a wide band I was thinking I could safely push low boost through the engine - maybe about 5 psi or so

I'm not sure if anyone has done this before... I will probably break something (guessing head gasket first?) but I've got other cars and love to experiment :D

You guys might not have been able to tell, but the rear tail light surrounds looked like ass when I got the car. The chrome plate around the lenses was peeling off like crazy, and the black covers were very ugly, in consistent color and the corner was chipped off on the drivers side. You can kind of see it here:

tailsbad.jpg

Notice the missing corner on the drivers side

nobumpers3.jpg

Anyways, I pulled them off, sanded off all the chrome plate and used a metallic kind of paint I had laying around. Looks even better in person.

taillights.jpg

Rather than trying to find (and pay for) a replacement for the drivers side tail light surround, I decided to repair the crack and rebuild the missing corner using a special plastic type body filler. It cures only in sun light and has to be built up a 1/8 inch at a time. Then I sanded it down and refilled imperfections as needed. Took a while and it's not perfect, but I think it's pretty close:

taillights4.jpg

The garage, and the best wife ever: WIN.jpg

FC is gone now BTW :(

Almost forgot!

I made a custom short shifter using a stock FC shift knob.

shifter.jpg

Yes I know it's probably not period correct blah blah, but I had it laying around and the shifter was way too tall and full of slop. Just ignore the fictitious shift pattern (lol)

So I cut the stock shifter and made my own shifter bushings to tighten it up. Now the shifts feel great and the shifter action is tight with no looseness or rattling.

:D

The "custom" bushing was made from a poly bushing from something I had laying around.

Almost forgot!

I made a custom short shifter using a stock FC shift knob.

shifter.jpg

Yes I know it's probably not period correct blah blah, but I had it laying around and the shifter was way too tall and full of slop. Just ignore the fictitious shift pattern (lol)

So I cut the stock shifter and made my own shifter bushings to tighten it up. Now the shifts feel great and the shifter action is tight with no looseness or rattling.

:D

The "custom" bushing was made from a poly bushing from something I had laying around.

Do you have any pics you took while you were making it or instructions cause mine is REALLY sloppy and I wanna fix it.

Do you have any pics you took while you were making it or instructions cause mine is REALLY sloppy and I wanna fix it.

Probably better off just ordering new bushings

What I used basically was a poly tube cut to fit between the "ears"

The tube fit perfectly inside the shifter end (just a tiny bit of play so it can easily move)

Proper sized washers on each end of the tube

10mm bolt holding it all in place, used a lock washer and blue loctite to make sure it never comes loose on it's own.

I hope that makes sense

there are many threads about fixing the slop you can get brass door bushings from autozone (HELP brand) etc. I dont remember the part # but they were chrysler door bushings. Lasts alot longer than the oem ones

Cleaned up the interior some more and lost the seat covers.... passenger seat only had one rip, drivers is pretty bad. Covered it with some black gaffers tape for now.

11-18-092.jpg

Here she is in the garage, I kinda wish it was a little lower but at the same time I think it looks about "right". You will also notice I sanded down all the surface rust on the body and hit it with some primer - just to stop the rust for now.

11-18-09.jpg

I'll be dropping the tank today to remove that stupid bumper support piece. I nearly ran outta gas on the way home last night to make it a bit easier (lol)