HybridZ

My first Z!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digging the rims, they look great all polished if you lowered the car a inch or two i think you would be set. also i'm surprised on the mpg thats pretty good, plus dibs on the rims if you ever decide to get rid of them :lol:

Yeah I'll eventually change rims for something that will let me run a smaller sidewall... These rims sure are light though!

The car is already sitting on tokico springs ... It could be a little lower but it's way better than stock. Probably leave it as is for now.

can't wait to see it with the body work done, did you decide if your going to get rid of those little round vents?

Probably... still thinking about it.

Dropped the gas tank to remove that stupid bumper support. Wasn't really that bad.

Drained the remaining gas in the tank first.... Had about 2.5 gallons left in it. Funny cause it was already sputtering and driving crappy like that. The pick up for the external pump is pretty high.

Tank was very easy to drop, two straps and the filler neck, along with some small hoses and the level sensor.

The tank is amazingly 100% rust free inside, still has the coating 100% intact! amazing.

No hidden rust behind the tank or anywhere. happy about that! In fact I had the carpet out and the floor boards are also totally rust free!

Here is a picture of the bumper support gone. You'll also notice the areas of rust removal and primer

nosupport.jpg

Yeah I'll eventually change rims for something that will let me run a smaller sidewall... These rims sure are light though!

The car is already sitting on tokico springs ... It could be a little lower but it's way better than stock. Probably leave it as is for now.

Tokico blue series? I cut a coil out of my HP springs and they dropped it from stock about 2-2.5" and its perfect, I really wanna drop my tank and get the rear bumper off, do you have any tips about dropping the tank at all? or is it just drain, pinch, un-bolt, and get the damn shock out and just mount it back up or is it more of a pain :(

Tokico blue series? I cut a coil out of my HP springs and they dropped it from stock about 2-2.5" and its perfect, I really wanna drop my tank and get the rear bumper off, do you have any tips about dropping the tank at all? or is it just drain, pinch, un-bolt, and get the damn shock out and just mount it back up or is it more of a pain :(

how much of an increase in ride harshness/bounce did you experience? Any benefits or issues with handling before/after?

Dropping the tank;

Drain it completely

Remove hoses (front)

Unplug level sensor

Remove passenger rear wheel

Remove passenger rear wheel well removable section

Loosen hose clamp for filler tube

place jack or support under tank

remove straps

carefully lower the tank slightly and just move it away far enough to get to the bumper shock. The rear vent hoses don't need to be removed

Remove the bumper shock... Three bolts on the bottom, three nuts on the top, you'll need to move the tail light cover out of the way inside the car.

Take the bumper shock out completely - I was able to pull it through the hole pretty easily but it's a bit tricky to work it out I guess.

Plug the holes left by the studs going into the cabin

Put everything back together!

I used a new hose clamp on the filler neck cause mine was a bit rusty - Getting that filler neck tube on was a bit tricky. So get it to slip mostly on the filler neck and then use your jack or buddy to hold the tank in the right spot.

Loosely secure the tank with the straps, make sure the filler neck is proper and all the hoses are in the right place... I had to pull on the rear vent hoses from inside the car to get it lined up right.

From there, just put it back together.... pretty easy job took me about 30 min

I had them on for a test ride and it seamed to be a more "civic" type of handling, it wasn't amazingly comfortable at times, but it handled great.

my wheel wells are rhino lined so thats the only problem I see myself having,

Any quantifiable results? How was the before/after in terms of harshness?

What do you mean by "civic" type handling? Bouncy like a ricer with cut stock springs or tight and responsive like a properly modded one

be specific... I dont want to regret this if I do it

Any quantifiable results? How was the before/after in terms of harshness?

What do you mean by "civic" type handling? Bouncy like a ricer with cut stock springs or tight and responsive like a properly modded one

be specific... I dont want to regret this if I do it

depends on the strut/shock choice, civic type, meaning its stiff, but forgiving at times. Id still strongly suggest avoiding all pot holes. the top coil or two tend to sag on Tokico HP blue springs because of the "ride" they try and give it, so when you drive regularly the stock hp springs would be soft and forgiving, and when you take that progressive coil out, expect a stiffer less comfortable ride, you have a nice supra, im guessing you've been into the tuner crowd, the only thing I have on tap to compare it to is an Integra with DC2 coilovers that I rode in.

Would you say the handling was improved or changed after cutting a coil or did you drive it with stock tokico coil length at all?

I didnt with the stock tokico, bought them that way. Id imagine it to be stiffer and quicker response due to eliminating the "progressive" top coil sag on regulart Tokico springs.

Rear bumper is on. Made some simple brackets - looks nice!

The spoiler needed a lot of work. It had some pits and cracks, runs in spray paint etc.

I sanded it all down and am filling the cracks and pits. Then i'll need to sand it all down again and primer + paint, then install :)

Pics will be up later!

I got the spoiler on :D

Some notes:

Noticeably more stable at freeway speeds. Seems to have more grip on 70-80mph on ramps... might just be my confidence with the car improving though :D

Here is something interesting for those suffering from bad exhaust smells:

Driving around with stock bumpers (75) I noticed some smell, not too bad.

With NO rear bumper I noticed LESS smell - hardly any.

With the thin (240z) bumpers and no spoiler I noticed TERRIBLE exhaust smell at about 35-40mph... it was bad!

After I added the spoiler the smell was greatly reduced again. About the same as no bumper or spoiler - not so bad at all for a catless car.