HybridZ

My first Z!

anyone know what that ceramic thing under the coil is?

Ballast Resistor.

You looking to buy a fuel pump? I might be selling one here - let me get my car running before I go selling parts of it off. It is too damn noisy for my taste.

I'm in Fair Oaks too so not too far away.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are talking about the resistor ballast check the FSM.

Just a little word of advice before a mod jumps on you. Try not to bump your questions in the same day or even week. Give it some time........ and the shift key is your friend.

But other than that you have a nice looking car! hope you enjoy it!

Edit: Looks like I got beat by Barbarossa..... that is what I get for not finishing a reply.

Ballast Resistor.

You looking to buy a fuel pump? I might be selling one here - let me get my car running before I go selling parts of it off. It is too damn noisy for my taste.

I'm in Fair Oaks too so not too far away.

Not yet. Do you have an extra Ballast Resistor?

Mine is cracked completely through. I'm not sure if it's causing my issues but I know it's not good. Would that cause misfiring, backfiring, rich condition etc?

Not yet. Do you have an extra Ballast Resistor?

Mine is cracked completely through. I'm not sure if it's causing my issues but I know it's not good. Would that cause misfiring, backfiring, rich condition etc?

I effed mine up when I took it off.

There is a 240z at Pick-n-Pull on Sunrise that had a good ballast resistor. Towards the back of the lot, last row before the huge walkway.

Yeah you got an extra electric fuel pump? lol

Your pops hiring? I need a full time job.... hey you asked if i needed help lol

Sorry, no extra fuel pumps. The 240Z's had mechanical fuel pumps, except for the '73 which came with a factory electric fuel pump to help overcome the vapor locking...

Kinda hard to work for my dad- minimum 5 years experiance in a deisel shop, have your own tools ( not just basic tools), be able to do brake jobs, LOF's, and minor engine repair, a/c 609 certified, etc...

I do have a ballast resistor though. I picked up an MSD coil that came with a ballast resistor, not sure if it will work in your 280z but I don't see why not as they are basically all the same. Worse thing I can see happening is it allows more current to get to your spark plugs which I don't think would be a bad thing :mrgreen:

You can have it if you want it, just let me know.

well i tried another coil and bypassed the resistor just to see how it would run. seemed to run better for a while, but it's still running super rich, like clouds of black smoke!

Then it starts to misfire, back fire and eventually die out.

Spark is strong and timing is correct, advance is working.

all the injectors seem to be working. they are clicking normally anyways.

so what should i check next? whats making it run so poorly :( it seems to cut in and out when you drive it, gets a lot worse with more throttle.

there are some vacuum lines and devices disconnected, not sure where they go. i'll post pictures of them in a minute.

k well it still runs rich as fawk and bogs/misfires when you get on the throttle. Was able to make it to the gas station and fill the tank completely. Barely.

It's definatlely just rich. With the AFM sensor cover open (comes off easy) I can manually move the sensor, while the car is running, and hear the idle become perfectly smooth and the black smoke stops.

Once I figure the richness issue out, should be okay.

This may not be the single cause to it, but a Z will run rich if it has bad grounds. I would go around and clean ALL of the grounds you can find in the engine bay. All of them. Just remove the grounds and clean the wire contact as well as the location to where it is grounding with a nice wire brush.

okay replacing the temp sender and cleaning it's connector + fixing an air leak + putting all the vacuum lines back to stock = no more overfueling. No more black smoke or eye tearing clouds. Car runs and idles better, HOWEVER

Looks like this issue was a two parter!

Spark is strong but inconsistent. part throttle and low rpm is very choppy. If you floor it, it picks up better.

part throttle acceleration and cruising is full of popping (through the intake manifold. it actually slams the afm door shut!) and misfires.

with the engine idling I was checking the timing. I notice that randomly at idle and especially when you stab the throttle, it looses spark and pops at the same time. I can see this because the strobe from the timing gun cuts out.

it gets more interesting. It doesn't seem to do it on all cylinders! Its most visible on cylinder 1.

Its not the wires. I swapped them around and the problem stays with #1 mostly. The wires, cap, and rotor all look very new and clean.

I've tried 3 coils and the effect is the same. My ceramic resistor/isolator deal is cracked into two parts, but the problem exists even bypassing it and giving power to the coil directly.

I would jump right on changing the wires cap and rotor but they already look very good, like less than 5k good!

Distributor?

:(

not a bad idea. i'll do that.

right now i'm thinking its the water temp sensor, stuck injectors or even that thermotime switch thing?

time to start probing with the multimeter i guess.

IT'S NOT THE TEMP SENSOR! All the sensor does is go to the gauge on your dash. If the needle moves then it works.

You can fix stuck injectors with a 9volt battery, just get a plug with long wires and touch it to the connector on the injector. Not for a long time but maybe 2 sec. or less you should hear it cycle.

Clean and check your AFM, plugs and the gap.