HybridZ

My first Z!

Yea i had really bad throttle issues on my Saturn, and it sounded like a kitchen stove ignitor under my hood, I looked under the hood and saw a spark jumping off one of my coil packs. I actually was able to just take off the top plug on it, and the coil was covered in calcium, after just rubbing it off, The car ran smooth and i could give it full throttle again without the whole car sputtering etc. It sounds like you need a new coil or just need to clean it up, but i see you have already done that....hmm, good luck!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOT!

I hooked up my wideband and realized that it was running super lean! hence the popping bad fires and general bs.

I took a very close look at the air flow meter and it seems that someone adjusted it some time in the past.... So, using my wideband I dialed it in at idle. Needed almost a full quarter turn spring tension adjustment to settle out. Took it for a spin and it runs smooth from idle to redline! AFR is a little rich but what do you expect with a 75 FI engine with no O2 sensors!

Time to move on to other stuff. So many things to fix! :D

Yeah. The car was running very rich due to vacuum lines being mixed up, leaks in intake system, and possibly the water temp sensor (which I changed)

Previous owner must have adjusted the AFM to compensate (lol) rather than fixing the issues.

So when I fixed the issues it became super lean.

Going to register this bad body today. I drove it about 2 miles last night. Needs new diff bushings, suspension and suspension bushings, steering rack and alignment, new brakes etc.

Once I fix those things and replace some more old hoses etc I'm confident she'll be pretty reliable.

Today i'm going to get some new transmission fluid and diff fluid. Not sure what to use, but it will be cheap for the trans cause I might be swapping engine/transmissions and even if i dont, i'll be going 5 speed for sure.

Got new plates for the car and took care of the registration. Total cost $114.

no smog test required :)

Ran into my first fellow Z owner at the DMV parking lot. He had a very clean 81 280zx... it was funny cause we were both putting on new plates and staring at each others cars :P

New trans and diff fluids :)

Jesus christ monkey balls! The diff fluid was disgusting! It was like dark muddy water lol...

trans fluid was pretty bad too, but not like the diff. That diff fluid was probably factory 1975 oil :D

The right front brake caliper was sticking a little bit. got it mostly unstuck today but went ahead and ordered some rebuilt calipers. Don't wanna mess around when it comes to the brakes...

Also the tie rods ends are amazingly loose. Doing an alignment would be pointless. New tie rod ends on the way.

Discovered some rust issues, will need to replace part of the right side frame rail, shouldn't be too hard for me :)

Congras on the Z. I love the 75's, they're so simple compared to the other 280Z's. I've been working on getting mine daily driver reliable since I got it ruing earlier this year. Picked it up from a friend who ran the motor out of oil. Dropped in another motor, rebuilt the entire brake system, fuel system is almost entirely new, tie rod ends, ball joints, and started on the bushings, etc, etc, etc.

WHEEL POLISHING IS A BITCH!

I don't think they have seen more than soap and water in 35 years :(

One kinda done after a couple hours (no joke!) lots of imperfections but my hands hurt. This is hard work!

wheels.JPG

wheels%20%282%29.jpg

BEFORE

wheels%20%283%29.JPG

wheels%20%284%29.JPG

wheels%20%286%29.JPG

been cleaning up inside a bit... lots more will be done in here later

wheels%20%287%29.JPG

whats going on in your garage?

wheels%20%285%29.JPG

Stock 280Z ride height always makes me laugh a little. I feel if they got it any higher they could do some serious off-roading with it.

I see some potential here... 2800lb (or less) car on the left with tired motor from the 70's...

Small planet on the right with a monster.

Solution: Take engine from right, put it in car on left, let Supra's body shell go chill out with pluto. It needs support form something its own size ;)

lol the single turbo 2jz in my mkiv would probably tear the 280 to pieces. 500ftlbs is pretty serious.

BTW that supra is a hardtop NA body, 3250 full loaded with out me in it (thats good for a mkiv!)

How did you pull that one off good sir!?! those cares are bloody tanks

The NA hardtop body (with na engine, brakes and trans) is actually only about 3200. VS the TT targa coming it at about 3500

The single turbo set up is about 50lbs lighter than the stupid stock twins. That plus light wheels, battery brought me to where I'm at. The real key was just getting a hardtop... significant weight savings and much stiffer chassis.

I <3 Supras, just far too much $$$ to own one. Id rather go the rx-7 route and just put in a more reliable powerplant

Yeah I did a 1jz in a FC rx7. Just sold it though. It was an awesome car but I can't help wanting new project and the 240z is better to invest on IMO.