HybridZ

Turbo adapter plate for stock exhaust manifold

ozconnection

^^True, however, it may collectively be better then the stock turbo manifold.

Some how I just don't see that being the case. But since I'm no thermodynamics engineer, I could very well be wrong. But say you had a 2"-3" running section between the stock mannifold and the turbo to build velocity, would this yeild better results?

Thanks for the input guys. This setup would be a compromise situation for those people who couldn't find/afford the genuine factory turbo manifold way back then methinks. The sweeping manifold design is late model zx (ego sensor boss plugged with a pipe plug) and their internal passageways are reasonably generous, so that's a good starting point.

I've had the factory turbo manifold on a flow bench prior to exploring the idea of having it extrude honed. Some ports flowed OK, others were well behind. It would be interesting to flow the zx manifold to see how it compares to the stock turbo one. Anyone done that??? My 'gut' tells me it would be pretty good but nothing tells the whole story better than a flow bench!!

That 180 degree bend is probably a flow killer but then, maybe it's not too bad? Dunno!

Who made these things? Anyone seen or used/uses one like this?

Cheers everyone!

HKS and SK (Sangyo-Kiki) made these back in the 80's and earlier. I have one that mounts a Mitsubishi Turbo for the S30.

Mine does not have the wastegate provision, as the Mistu Turbo had an internal wastegate. Normally HKS stuff has their markings on it, but that would be my guess, they used non-wastegated turbos on a lot of their early kits.

As for the stock turbo manifold 'not flowing well' I would ask for a more precise definition: are you talking theoretical numbers or vague results that theoretically mean the thing won't make horsepower? Or stating it restricts horsepower to some set number?

Then again, which turbo manifold? The euro unit has internal passages larger than the SFP Tubular replacement!

A lot of this stuff is rooted in theoretical discussions---it's like stating the ONLY way to do a brake job 'right' is to mindlessly REPLACE the calipers, hardware, rotors, pads, hoses, etc... In reality it's ONE way to do it, but not necessarily 'right' any more than competent inspection and replacement of components indicating a need to be replaced.

There was a thread recently showing short unequal length headers in F1, and concurrent designs of other brands using equal length headers. Each was making comparable horsepower.

I think this is the case with the 'U Bend' discussion after a relatively well designed exhaust manifold. I think the turns AFTER the turbo have a FAR greater effect than what it's doing under high pressure.

For instance, wouldn't this turbo have a turbine exit which is relatively straight out the back of the car past the transmission? Which do you think is better, the stock setup with that 90 sharp bend right out of the turbine exit...or this?

Which do you think affects turbo breathing more?

I suspect it's on the outlet of the turbo FAR more than on the inlet side!

As for the stock turbo manifold 'not flowing well' I would ask for a more precise definition: are you talking theoretical numbers or vague results that theoretically mean the thing won't make horsepower? Or stating it restricts horsepower to some set number?

Then again, which turbo manifold? The euro unit has internal passages larger than the SFP Tubular replacement!

Thanks for the info Tony!

Yeah, just an observation about the stock US spec 280zx turbo exhaust manifold. Like I said, I threw it at this guy here in Sydney who could flow test it for me in view to getting it extrude honed. Now I'm not doubting the horsepower potential of that manifold at all. Crikey, some guys are getting impressive power figures out of them.....stock. We all know this. But if the flow figures were tweeked via porting, at least so they all flow about the same, then there might be some improvement in power, yes? (Well that's how I used to think about it!)

But on the contrary, it seems your observations and comments indicate that all this effort on the exhaust side before the turbo may be a waste of time. :shock: Hell, if the F1 guys don't need to bother so much about it because of negligible power differences, why should us street performance guys make a fuss? I like this thinking better Tony, cheaper too! :mrgreen:. Just bang it on and run it!!

The position of the turbine outlet and housing is something I have to consider. The position of the chassis rails on the P230 series is a problem with any turbo that uses a larger than 0.48 turbine housing and the stock US spec turbo manifold. Even with that on there, there's buggar all room! I'm at least hoping that this manifold configuration will clear the rails. And if the exit pipe runs straight out of the turbine, WoooHooo! And if it has an external gate option....fine. And if it flows...hell who cares how it flows, doesn't seem to be terribly important it seems.....double fine.

Maybe some sandblasting to freshen it up and apply one of those HT Coatings to keep the heat in and 'Bob's your uncle!?'

That's a T4 sized flange too, yes?

Thoughts?

Cheers. :)

My turbine inlet pipe by BAE is very similar, except the wastegate flange is welded direct to the casting, rearward between the flanges. Works great, but have never compared to any other. I plan to use the L28ET manifold with the GT35R, but will have to adapt for external wastegate.