HybridZ

Spicy JELLY!

BRAAP

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm in florida someone please put the recipe up *cough* *MONGO*

Hot pepper jelly can be made with most any jelly recipe using peppers to replace the fruit. My latest batch was made with a combination of small Thai peppers, cayenne peppers and the large cow horn peppers. I normally add some red or green food coloring for looks. Cream cheese and crackers with a dollop is this stuff is really fine. Is this Hybrid Z. org? What have we become? Is there a gear head recipe section in the making?

Ive traveled all through the states and cant say Ive come across this one .....Sounds yummy :icon45: Not common up here in Canada......!

Canucks eat well but are a bit sheltered....no pulled pork, no boiled peanuts...no craklin.....grits...nor biscuits & gravy. Not even a whole lot of Mexican food...mind you I think a bit over rated in many parts of the US.

Will have to keep an eye out for spicy jam!:shock:

OK, I was intrigued by the idea of this flaming hot habanero jelly, so I made 3.5 pints of it today. I spilled at least 0.5 pints of this napalm on the burner :roll: I wore nitrile gloves and almost wore my goggles too, heh, just to keep the seeds and habanero juice out of my eyes. I made a mess in the kitchen and have to wait for a few hours to try the jelly in the cooling off period (the jelly and my wife).

Davy

I've never had Habanero jam but LOVE Jalapeno jam. I learned early on to take a small taste to gauge the heat before gobbling down the whole cracker or muffin or whatever it's on. Never thought to combine it with cream cheese but that sounds like a great combination.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I can't have much of it anymore, diabetes means high sugar foods are not allowed. :(

UPDATE:

WOW! This jelly is extremely yummy! I'm not sure what all the hooplah is about regarding the heat. Yes, it is spicy and yes, I did follow the recipe to the letter. If you enjoy spicy food, this is tasty, spicy, jelly that I know you will enjoy. It's so good that I am considering not giving it away to other people and keeping it in my own pantry. As previously mentioned, you can taste the habaneros easily and then after a few bites, the heat starts to come into play. Mighty fine stuff indeed!

My only regret is finding no 0.5 pt jars to put the jelly in. They are more practical and would be better for giving the stuff away as gifts. No matter, though, since I'm keeping it anyway :D

Davy

• Administrators
You got it right Ron! Habaneros out of my home garden. I will be making up one more batch of Jelly this week.

My Favorite is A Wheat Thin, with Cream Cheese and a dollap of Pepper Jam.. MMMMM!!!

Glad you guys liked it! I bring ya some more next time I come up!!

John(Mongo)

John,

Oh yeah! I’ll take it! :2thumbs: You accept PayPal?

When just “trying” this jam, say off the knife/spoon, etc, nothing else to soften the blow, it is VERY hot!:flamedevi But with something that softens the heat, this is absolutely phenomenal! My new all time favorite late night snack!

Ok… cut a whole Sourdough muffin in half and toast both halves. Then with a heavy layer of Philly Cream cheese spread on the freshly toasted muffin, spread a thin layer of this incredible jam. Mmmm…. Tames the heat to a very tolerable level! Night before last, went so far as to make 4 halves! Tonight, same thing, 4 halves! :shock: This stuff is GOOD! Trick is to use something that tames the heat, and a lot of it! Cream cheese works wonders! Heat level is just enough to enjoy, not too hot to trash your taste buds… :2thumbs:

Yes John, I’d be glad to take another jar off your hands. :wink:

You got it right Ron! Habaneros out of my home garden. I will be making up one more batch of Jelly this week.

My Favorite is A Wheat Thin, with Cream Cheese and a dollap of Pepper Jam.. MMMMM!!!

Glad you guys liked it! I bring ya some more next time I come up!!

John(Mongo)

You should sell it! I am waiting on the thread paypal ready.....

I made the above jelly using Jalapenos and its fantastic on Turkey. No more cranberry sauce for me! I gave a jar to a friend and loves it on Lamb and Pork Chops.

Turkey is a great idea. I had some left over turkey on a dinner roll with some pepper jelly yesterday... simply amazing! :mrgreen:

• Administrators
John,

I need a fix! I took my jar of jam down to Medford for the holidays and forgot it there in my father-in-laws fridge! :shock: It wont go to waste there, but I don't have any now... :oops:

Because I'm such a saint, and I see a friend in 'need', I decide to 'loan' BUURP my jar of frugally savored jam. Less than two day's later I go retrieve it... and it's 3/4 gone! Fokker.

Got any for sale, Mongo?