HybridZ

How much is too much?

Zlyfe

Hello Z owners!

I'm curious on your guy's opinions on rust, I wanna know or would like to know how much rust is to much?

The 280Z I'm looking at has the normal rust, worst place is the rocker panels.This will be my first s30, and don't mind some issues, as this will be a "I feel like working on this today" project.. the car is only $500 bucks.

This is a serious question, and please don't flame, and or make smart remarks.

Thanks!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Welcome.

2. I see you have a Z32. Pics Now.

3. It truly depends on the locations of the rust. The floorboards are pretty easy to replace, imo compared to other parts of the car, and a rusty spare tire well is a good excuse for a fuel cell ;). There are some places on the car however that are an absolute PITA to replace due to the complex curves and the 2-7million different pieces of sheet metal coming together at one point. Flatt's right, pics and depth of rust are a must in determining the structural viability of a Z shell.

Alright, I will go back to the place tomorrow, and get some pics! It is white, and a 4spd, not sure if it runs, IIRC it is a fuel injected engine. This guy also has a '71 240z, auto,gold,rust,MINT seats, some other Z's as well.

Heres a teaser pic of my z32.

2emkh7b.jpg

that my friend is the epitomy of a parts car, but it only if you have time to chop it up later and/or have another z that is clean that you can put the parts in...i have a shell for sale =) and its perfect compared to that lol heres the link...if the motor and trans work id say buy my shell and swap them in and youve got a nice, cheap, z that will last.

link... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=155239

Sticky280zx: Nice car, But I'm looking for something local, thanks though!

If I were to buy this car, and take on the rust issues, would I have to weld, all new "sheetmetal" in where the hole are at?

How would I go about fixing the rocker panels, just weld in new metal?

Don't give me the " if you have to ask that, then this is not for you" BS.

that my friend is the epitomy of a parts car, but it only if you have time to chop it up later and/or have another z that is clean that you can put the parts in...i have a shell for sale =) and its perfect compared to that lol heres the link...if the motor and trans work id say buy my shell and swap them in and youve got a nice, cheap, z that will last.

link... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=155239

Zlyfe, this is a MUCH better option. Shouldn't take much work to get that one rust free and running.

Sticky280zx: Nice car, But I'm looking for something local, thanks though!

If I were to buy this car, and take on the rust issues, would I have to weld, all new "sheetmetal" in where the hole are at?

How would I go about fixing the rocker panels, just weld in new metal?

Don't give me the " if you have to ask that, then this is not for you" BS.

Yes, cut out all the rust affected areas, and weld in new metal. It's not really a "just" weld in new metal process though. It takes a LOT of time, money, and that's provided you have a welder and the skills to use it. If you don't, then add in cost of labor.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a nearly rust free car.

I would agree with getting a good clean shell for a swap....... Say you spend the 500$ for the RUST BUCKET, About a 1,000 for an average CLEAN shell. Then throw some money at the engine to get it running and your set! Maybe just over 2,000 bones and you have a great car in an easy 6 months.

OR

Get the RUST BUCKET for 500 spend another 300 on a decent welder, another 400 for some sheet metal and welding material, add LOTS of time! then you still need to get a good engine another 500.........ect. in 6 months you would be lucky to have the body straight.

It adds up FAST!

^ LOL, the second opition would be cheaper(just going by the prices you estimated), its all in the air right now, I'm browsing around for the tools I would need. I'm going to see the guy again, and chew him down on price as much as I can. I've been on TABCO body panels...whats the deal with them? I seen they sold body panels for the places I need, and the price isn't to bad...

^ LOL, the second opition would be cheaper(just going by the prices you estimated), its all in the air right now, I'm browsing around for the tools I would need. I'm going to see the guy again, and chew him down on price as much as I can. I've been on TABCO body panels...whats the deal with them? I seen they sold body panels for the places I need, and the price isn't to bad...
You're not talking about that rusty 280Z are you? If you are, RUN (not walk) AWAY FROM THAT CAR. Run, and don't look back.