HybridZ

How much is too much?

Zlyfe

another member here bought a very cherry 75 or 76 from my neighborhood(central cali) that needed no work for $2000.i saw the picks on the craigs list add but didnt have time to check it out.had it shipped to east coast for $600.car was a very stock complete daily driver.no visable work needed from the picks.i think it was a 76-probably sold because of the hassle of smogging it in cali.most people would be better off spending some money upfront instead of buying something that will sit in the garage not running forever.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what a lot of you mean, with me sometimes I can be a impulse buyer...But, this one I'm seriously going to think about. This is going to be a project, and I don't plan on driving it anytime soon or anything in motion with it. Will be on jack stands for the most part.

That car is a nightmare. Run away, unless you have a welder and tons of spare time and love nothing more than patching panels and doing body work.

Agreed!!! Run for the hills!!

That 280 is nothing but a parts car. After you cut out the rust....thats all you will have.

Putting her together will cost alot of time and more importantly...MONEY. Money that can be used to buy a better platform to start from.

Continue shopping and keep this car in mind for parts.

Zlyfe,

My son and I purchased a rare find (Indoor stored 75 280Z almost no rust) and I hav dropped an grand so far and we are not past reinstalling the rear diff!!!

Just a break down,

Fuel sending unit 180.00 (recondition)

Bushings, spindle pins, ect 350.00

Struts front and rear 270.00

Seats 150.00 (Stole them but still have to build custom brackets and need seat belts)

Radaitor rebuild 50.00

Reconditioned injectors 180.00

gaskets, seals 50.00

Tank straps, 90.00

Purchased 300.00 in tools and still buying more as we need them.

I estimate we still have 1500.00 plus to spend and it is simply going to be his daily driver...

RUN, RUN, RUN...

Save your money and find a better possible running project.....

John

I say run I had one in the same condition as that one but a 240z with a turbo motor and i parted ot the car kept the motor, and I found an all original 75 280z fom North Carolina that was completely rust free.

The 240z:

forsale049-1.jpg

forsale052-1.jpg

Oh and what part of florida are you in??

If that's all the rust your 240z had, that's not even comparable to the 280z posted in this thread.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to see if he has more, and look at that auto 240z, he has a 280zx 2+2 but eh idk about that.

I live in Citrus County, West coast!

That 240z looks like a parts car as well. You're looking the wrong places.

Not that gold 240z, the violate one next to it, floor pans are solid, bad rust i can see with my eyes was a quarter of both rockers, and a little around the rear quarter glass. Who knows still on what I will do, the violate 240z is a whole lot better than that white 280z.

I'm just going to pass on it, I found my old turbo car(not going to say what it is, not a Nissan/Datsun) I went and looked at the 280z again yesterday, and the driver side frame rail, towards the rear of the car was hanging down. lol. Oh ya, I went and sat in the car, and was checking out the dash, and it was just a cap FML. In the 280z, there was a transmission sitting in the rear, with a crap load of parts.

Personally, I'd fix it. I enjoy doing rust repair and restoration though.

Yeah but you're from Canada so as car enthusiasts we pretty much have to deal with that. :D

Having said that, even in Canada I found a car in better condition. Keep looking and best of luck. Nice Z32!

I'm just going to pass on it, I found my old turbo car(not going to say what it is, not a Nissan/Datsun) I went and looked at the 280z again yesterday, and the driver side frame rail, towards the rear of the car was hanging down. lol. Oh ya, I went and sat in the car, and was checking out the dash, and it was just a cap FML. In the 280z, there was a transmission sitting in the rear, with a crap load of parts.

Volvo!

If youre actually interested in the car, it ran and drove for 2 weeks and had no problems before i pulled the motor/trans but i just had a guy buy a car and have it shipped to NEW JERSEY which is alot farther than you and he only paid around 600, so i am sure you could get this car there for 4-500 and with a decent motor/trans youd be done at around 2k and have a RUST FREE daily with big sways and shocks/lowering springs (which i promise will be put on later, if you daily/track a zcar). not to mention that it would literally take close to 500-1k to fix a rusty shell (not panels but one with unibody rust) the RIGHT way, and still have a ton of other issues.