HybridZ

Any trout fishermen here?

Roostmonkey

Very nice! Fly or spinning?

There's only a couple streams that stay cold enough for trout in Nebraska, but the Game and Parks Commission stocks several lakes around the state with 9-12" trout in October for fall and ice fishing. In fact, I'm going out to a lake today!

Nice fish.

I've never caught a trout... never been trout fishing other than the one lesson as a 10 yr old, and the ironic thing is I live on a farm with 5 Km of prime trout river on one boundary, and a private trout pond that was dug, filled and stocked by a previous owner. There are 2 official Fish and Game negotiated access ways crossing our land to the river.

Game laws here for trout is that if it's in a natural river or lake, fish and game set limits, in a privately owned artificial habitat created by the landowner, it's fair game with no limits or licences. So one of the previous owners who ran this as a game ranch with trophy deer in one part and a fishing lodge in another, built a pond so when the season closed on the river, they could carry on until it re-opened, on their own pond.

I keep thinking about taking my SCUBA gear and a flounder spear and trying my luck in the pond :D

Oh man, Kiwi your killing me. NZ is known for the great fishing, especally brown trout. Leave that scuba gear alone, buy a cheap flyrod, get a quikie lesson, just enough to learn how to cast and go have some fun. Sounds like you have a very unique opportunity, one that guys like me would die for. Maby I should just come over there and lend you a rod and give you a few lesson,s....you'll be hooked. ( pun intended )

Oh man, Kiwi your killing me. NZ is known for the great fishing, especally brown trout.

Any time you're in the top half of the south island here, Feel free to stop by for a spot of fishing :D I'm right on the Buller river between the two Lakes, within 30 mins drive there's The Upper Buller, Lake Rotoiti, Lake Rotoroa, Hope River, Gowan river, and the Owen river, all with world class trout fishing :D

As I said, it's Ironic that I don't trout fish, I'm a salt water boy :P before i was able to co-ordinate winding in a reel my dad had me on a wharf with a jig rod catching sprats... Terikihi is nice, so is Harpuka or Paroae, but most of my catch is Kahwahi, delicous when cold smoked and made into fishcakes.

The big fish you had on the boat looks like a Mahemahe (Mahimahi), or Dolphinfish, but EMWHYR0HEN called it a Dodo? So many names in so many different parts of the world, all for the same fish type :P