HybridZ

Bumper rip off?

i have a 1976 280z and i noticed alot of Z owners have ripped off their "park benches" and i dislike the look of them as well..

the PO ripped off the front one already and i might do the back one...

advantages? or just aesthetically pleasing?

plus the little 'prongs' or whatever they are called that hold the bumper, can they be cut off as they are ugly as well

anyone?

3n23p73l25O05Tb5P89bf3008279fc31f1c.jpg

100_1996.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is chopping them a a no-no?

I did it on mine, with a cutting wheel... Just make sure you wear safety glasses, or I would recommend goggles. When you cut through it oil comes out flying everywhere, because it is under pressure. If I hadn't been wearing safety glasses I would have had to clean 30-year old oil out of my eyes. :shock:

you lose about ~80lbs taking off both bumpers

actually on my 75 280z, removing all the bumpers, brackets and related hardware saved over 120lbs

Removing the spare, jack, wheel chocks and tools brought the total to nearly 160lbs!

This was all on a bathroom scale, might be off a bit but it's certainly more than just 80lbs.

I also noticed a nice improvement in all areas of performance :D

is chopping them a a no-no?

Be careful if you chop because the stuff that is in those tubes caught on fire when I chopped mine.

I chopped 'cause I didn't know any better but then it worked out for the best because I used the remaining bolted in part as a base for my homemade rear pan bar system.

I bolted on a plate of steel on my rear pan for safety and also to circumvent the law in CA. which requires bumpers but is none too specific about what constitutes a bumper.

I've never had a legal issue with it and I've also backed into a pole with minimal damage and been rear ended at low speed also with minimal damage.

actually on my 75 280z, removing all the bumpers, brackets and related hardware saved over 120lbs

Removing the spare, jack, wheel chocks and tools brought the total to nearly 160lbs!

This was all on a bathroom scale, might be off a bit but it's certainly more than just 80lbs.

I also noticed a nice improvement in all areas of performance :D

I am all for losing weight but I always keep my spare etc with me. It is just a convenience thing/siting on the side of the road waiting on your spare to come to you is no fun