HybridZ

Insider deal to buy used Ferrari

ZR8ED

As the title states. I have an inside connection to purchase a used ferrari 308. 56,000miles, with an asking price of 22K. It is a friend of a relative type deal, that I could get a decent price with no middle man. I have not seen the car in person, but only know that it is very clean, well maintained, not so much as a drop of snow on it or near it. It is a CA car so I would have to pick it up.

One serious problem. It passed half of the wife test. The other half....well lets just say my sig picture on this site would need to change. Can't have both. ( I am nowhere near rich)

I've always wanted one as a kid, and I know it can't out perform my Z in its current state, but this has zero to do with performance. BUT it is a Ferrari after all. It would just be a fair weather cruiser just like my Z has become.

Are these cars failure prone? I can imagine they are expensive to fix. I have not given it too much thought, as I thought for sure my wife would either laugh or kill me for asking for another toy. It's a pretty huge leap, and I am in no hurry. Would I get banned from this site?

Crazy talk?

Thoughts?

Scott, your Z is one of a kind man.. Granted you dont see many 308s out there but, your Z is just what was said.. YOU. Like you said the performance of the 308 is barely marginal what 15's in the 1/4 and I bet your Z handles better with all of your modifications. I would also just research cost of parts for the 308.. alt, water pump.. ect ect. Is this the one with carbs or TB's? I heard the carbed 308's where a nightmare to keep all tuned together. They are cool cars for sure but to me yours is more appealing.. But in the end you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Administrators

With only 56k on the clock, you may be able to sell the motor/transaxle for enough to swap in a mild Small Block.

Would I get banned from this site?

You can stay as long as you loan it to one of the staff every now and then :wink:

This is the best time, and the 308, probably the best Ferrari to but right now IMHO. Not that many years ago my wife and I were seriously considering buying a 246 Dino. At the time they could be had in the $25k to $35k range. It would have been a stretch for us but I really thought they were going to take off. We didn't and they did. Check out what decent 246 sells for today on ebay. (still kicking myself)

When the economy recovers my guess is the same thing is going to happen with the 308s and the 328s. If you can do it now I'd jump on it and just park it.

I love your Z, and I'd never sell mine, but seriously, is there any chance of our old Z cars appreciating like a Ferrari?

I have often thought about and looked at buying a 308/328 Ferrari as well. They are great looking cars that are a lot of fun to drive. The bumpers are funky on the some US versions but absolute stock versions will probably go up in price some day. BTW, GTS versions are generally worth more that slick top GTB versions.

Unfortunately they do rust but, if this one has spent its life in California, then it’s probably OK. Check the bottom of the doors, sail panels and bottom of the rear quarter panels for rust and/or repairs.

And, it’s very important that you get all the maintenance records. First, make sure that the timing belts have been replaced. Scheduled belt maintenance is at 30,000 and 60,000 miles. It is an interference engine so you MUST get them changed on schedule! If you have it done the price on average will usually be between $3,500 to $4,500 dollars depending on the local labor rate. BTW, most people change the clutch at the same time because you have to drop the engine to change the belts anyway so a $6,000 bill for the 60,000 mile service is not unheard of. At 56,000 miles it’s just about due for the belt change. Also, if maintenance records are available, make sure they are genuine.

The transmission synchronizers (especially second gear) are a bit on the weak side so make sure there is no grinding of gears on fast up and downshifts.

You didn’t say what year but the early versions had four two barrel Webbers that are difficult to repair and keep in tune.

And yes, parts are VERY expensive! There are very few substitute parts available but sometimes you can use FIAT parts (FIAT owns Ferrari) which are identical and about on quarter of the price.

If I was buying it I would have a local Ferrari technician check it out for me.

Hope this helps and good luck.

What year? These are NOT rare cars, not even close...

56K on a Ferrari is like 500,000 miles on any other car..

Stay away from 1980-82 cars. They are slow and notorious for horrid engine problems.

The 1978-79 cars are better, as they are the last of the carbureted cars. With 240 *peak* HP, still VERY underpowered for the weight of the chassis (3250 lbs). They also have cams that are designed for autobahn driving - very poor low-end torque.

Sorry but personally I think these cars are pretty crappy. Also $22K is not a killer deal..I have seen them down to $15K (for a true Cali car too).

The '80-'82 models have 250hp and a stock 5 speed ZX Turbo will humble one EASILY. 0-60mp/h takes 8sec...LOL

I run with a crowd that owned one of these cars at some time, and no one and I mean no one no longer has one, all brief flirts with what seemed like a good idea at the time.

The 308 will never be considered a collectible Ferrari either....not in our lifetime. They also have very slow, ponderous, heavy and dead-feeling steering.

Need some ownership reality costs:

1) Exhaust gaskets that are $38 a piece, and you need eight of them.

2) Distributor caps are $250 and you need two of them

3) A set of bushings for the entire car will run $1600

4) Door stays, and inside door lamps are unavailable and big bucks on the used market

5) Timing Belt is typically $3000-$4500 and the engine has to be removed from the top

Bottomline there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari.

For that money I would rather have a Porsche 930...a true supercar, supercar performance, supercar looks, lots of parts and something the Italians have not figured out "Reliable"...another consideration would be a DeTomaso Pantera but that is a REAL wildcard.

I believe you want your wife to still like you....yes?

Yasin

Are these cars failure prone?

Yes. Rust is a big issue even for California cars. Is it a steel or fiberglass car?

I can imagine they are expensive to fix.

Yes. Maintenance is a constant issue and requires a few special tools which are available.

Would I get banned from this site?

No.

One big issue for these cars is the driving position. Typical old school Italian requiring long arms and short legs.

dude it's hard to beat telling people that you drive a Ferrari but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Ferrariness will wear off and you'll wake up and realize you drive an unreliable rear engine Camry, and you'll miss the datsun

but if it's your dream don't let anyone stop you, good luck

I'll never forget one of my first track days. There was a 308 on slicks in my group. I was on some BFG R1's in my stock lt-1 240-Z. My goal was to keep him insight. I was very new to open track days.

After a lap or two I lost him in my REAR VIEW MIRROR! The thing was a pig.

Keep the Z.

The thing was a pig.

Driver or car? They can actually do very well on a race track:

This guy is a bit wimpy (typical street Ferrari driver) but I didn't see anything bad from the car. I would have to shoot most of these Vintage drivers - they just cruise down the center of the track. 'Course, there is a shining example of why you probably should keep the Datsun.

Edited by johnc

Driver or car? They can actually do very well on a race track:

This guy is a bit wimpy (typical street Ferrari driver) but I didn't see anything bad from the car. I would have to shoot most of these Vintage drivers - they just cruise down the center of the track. 'Course, there is a shining example of why you probably should keep the Datsun.

I enjoyed the video. It looked like he was taking it easy on the car and only passed when there was plenty-o-room on the straight. Personally if I was driving a Ferrari I'd have a hard time letting an Alfa, Triumph or Datsun guy think he was faster than me :mrgreen:. The white 260zed was a bit brazen I thought.....

Wow. Lots of things to go over!

I swear this aint a lie.

The weather here (Southern Ontario) is still very nice (considering the usual snowfall for this area, and we have had NONE)

As soon as I got home last night, I fired up the Z, didn't even let it warm up. Just drove it (gently though) Hopped on the 401, and headed east to reaquaint myself with the car. Nothing remotely crazy, but I was in the left lane more than any other lane if you catch the meaning. The car felt very good, though the lsd needs to be refreshed (I have a spare) and this one is "whining". Boost is a stable 14psi, but the car does get up and go pretty good despite the "detuned" setup. Drove for a good 40 min 1 way. Got on and off a few on ramps that are nice and short to make sure it really is boosting to 14. ;)

I have not sent the car to the bodyshop as you can guess. The weather has been too nice to pack up for the winter. I'll take it next week or so. (new floors/rails and seats "while I'm at it")

Spent the rest of the evening on the net (with the wife) researching 308's. Yasin. You must have read my wife's mind, cause she asked me to follow up on a "cute" 911, as I was scrolling through pages of adds. Found some for some reasonable $$ for early-late 70's 911 non turbos. At those prices, I don't need to sell the Z! She would even be so gracious as to drive it work in the summer to keep it from seizing up. She even thought a summer roadtrip back from CA with a "new to us" 911 would be exciting! (She is one great catch of a woman)

It is a bit of a turn of events, but this option lets me get to keep the "sinister looking" Z (as described by some) Bit of a win win I think. Now to the next hurdle. Whats an older 911 like? They are usually in my rearview when I have encountered them in the past. I have heard that the pedal setup is "uncommon". How about short drivers?

My wife is following the thread as well, and thanks you for your insight to help us.

Scott.

I would stay away from the 308. I would also stay away from early-70s 911s. At a minimum, I would go with a '78-on 911SC (3.0L) or better yet, '84-on Carrera (3.2L). If you were willing to spend $22K and give up the Z, then look into a '90-on Carrera which has the 3.6L and a completely revised rear suspension. You could even enjoy driving in the winter.

[flamesuiton]It's hard to part with a Z, trust me I know, but then you discover there are other cars out there that make you wonder why you waited so long.[/flamesuitoff]

If you are considering 911s, I am 101% confident that you will be happy with this choice. These cars are FAR FAR superior to the Ferrari 308s you originally were asking.

As an owner and working on mine and several 911s over the years….here is what I will say:

For the Normally Aspirated cars:

1) Stay away from pre 1980 cars.

2) Try and buy a 1988 or 1989 3.2L car, as these have the beautiful G50 5 speed gearbox and 218/222hp. The pre ’88 cars have the “OK†915 gearbox and 200hp. In bold “1988 and 1989 models are THE most desirable†in this genre. 150,000 miles no problem..without even looking at the motors or breaking a sweat. Expect to pay $18-$20K US for a nice one (do not be put off by a high mileage car if it has been well maintained). As a BTW…post ’78 cars were galvanized, so were well treated for rust prevention.

3) If looking at an early car i.e ‘70s be careful, lots of cobbled together cars, with iffy rust or crash repair. Many of these early cars are made from other cars bolted together (I guess similar to our Datsuns…LOL). Also what type of carbs and engines are on these early cars…be VERY careful.

4) 1990 and 1991 models have issues as they are 12plug motors with one distributor driving the other with a rubber belt…VERY problematic cars (especially the C4 AWD models). 1992-1994…VERY desirable…beautiful looking as well…3.6L..super reliable, great AC, heat, power everything…they take the ’88-’89 cars to the next level. EXCELLENT performance.

Turbo cars…

Pre ’89 can be had for as low as $20K for a running but maybe higher mileage and needing cosmetic work. Brutal fast…they take extremely well to modifications. VERY reliable and easy to drive even with the dated 4speed. BEAUTIFUL to look at..hand made as well. Bottom ends good for 150K and top ends typically will require a rebuilt around 100K (miles not km).

Also pretty much all air cooled Porsches weep or drip a little oil, so do not be put off by that…its part of the charm of ownership.

Parts…nice and cheap…and VERY available.

1) Brake pads same price as a Datsun

2) Distributor caps, plugs and wires same price as a Datsun

3) Clutches and brakes service items same price as a Datsun

Need I say more….?

Great enthusiast and forum support too.

Porsche ownership is blissful.

Yasin