HybridZ

5 speed shift lever...what the heck is this???

Konish

Would anyone be able to tell me what year / model trans this shifter came out of? I just bought a '72 240z and it has a 5 speed with a cut down shifter.

The PO tried to JB Weld a shift knob on the shifter, but it did not hold, so I'm trying to source another, cut it to length and re-weld the threaded portion back onto the shaft. Problem is that I have *no* idea what kind of shifter I have.

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

As you can see, it has an oblong plastic bushing (that is spring loaded inside the pivot housing) for the pivot pin and a plastic bushing on the ball end of the shifter.

Any help?

Oh, and here is the car...crappy iphone pic, but it's all I have for now...

photo2.jpg

R/

D

Interesting, and not a clue. But my experience with shifters for the OEM 4 speed, the early and late 5 speeds was that there were different lengths and bends to not only the shifter handle part, but the length of the pivot is also different and there were several variations so you need the exact handle or it won't shift into some of the gears. I wound up using the 5 speed shifter cut off right above the pivot and welding my 4 speed handle to it and what I would recommend that you do. My first attempt at 5 speed shifters was to heat and bend a ZX shifter, but it made the handle so short that the ball was just barely above the console!

Those came on later model ZX's, if I remember correctly. I've used them before on my trans.

They have two tiny springs inside, to dampin the feel (I guess that was the reason) which allows the handle to slightly move up and down.

I know the 83 5 spd I had, came with taller ears for the shifter pin to fit thru, and it's possible the pin height may have been slightly raised to allow for this shifter handle, since it is oblonged, and taller (in my opinion).

I hope I didn't add to the confusion with my post, but this is how I remember my experience dealing with that shifter handle... :)

that shifter is from an 81-83 zx na 5 speed. if i understand correctly your goal is to cut the top off another z shift lever and weld it to what you have? if so, you can get a shift lever from any z,72-83 to use for your cut and splice/weld, as well as the straight 6 maxima sedan. thread pitch is 8x1.25mm. my suggestion would be to cut your [pictured] shift lever just above the bulbous part and weld the donor to that spot, thus keeping your weld hidden below the shift boot. if you weren't concerned with originality you could simply source a donor shift lever and knob from another nissan 5spd with same shift pattern-like a 300zx, local jy perfect for this

Thanks fellas.

David,

Actually, the intent was to start with another shifter that will fit the trans as the bushing for the pivot pin is pretty sloppy (I guess I could always order a new bushing).

You know, I have had *zero* luck in the junkyards here in Japan. Either they really don't like Americans, they have the same crappy universal attitude that most salvage yards have or maybe a bit of both. I'm going on salvage safari starting on Monday.

If nothing else, I'll bring the yard guys a case of Bud long necks and see if I can't break the ice....

R/

D

I have that exact shift lever in my 5 speed swapped 240z.

I can't figure out what model and year it came from exactly, but according to the transmission case styling it should be from a 1979 280ZX which would also match the L28 that was swapped in at the same time so it would make sense they are from the same car.

But of course that's just a guess as I have no idea where the previous owner got the transmission from. The N47/N42 L28 is definately from the 1979 area though.

Perhaps it's why MSA doesn't offer a short shifter kit for the 1979-1983 model year cars... of course the few years of cars that used that type of transmission as well as only a forced induction or high rear end geared cars would enjoy using the tall geared transmissions was also most likely a factor as well...

I have yet to see any bushings for sale for that type of shifter, really annoying as it flops around ALOT as the spring allows a little play already.

It also has really tall gears, it's way to tall for street driving with only a stock L28 and stock 240Z 3.2??? rearend. Going to a 76-77 model year transmission if I can find one local to me....

Good luck on your wrecking yard search :icon14:

Max,

That link was awesome! Really illustrated the differences in the shifters...something that had me a bit puzzled. I've got a line on an original 4 speed shifter from a forum member and I think I'll just try the "Help" brand bushings as an instant upgrade to the plastic pieces.

Thanks everyone for the help...I'm new to Z's (aside from a few friends that had 'em over the years) and after a bunch of years with older 911s, the learning curve is steep but interesting (plus parts are *way* cheaper).

R/

Dustin

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, that link was a huge help to me as well as I have the same odd ball shift lever as Konish and the creator of that link.

Went a grabbed the 4 speed shift lever from the free L24 and 4 speed trans deal I got, cleaned it up and installed the new original plastic bushings and it dropped right in. Definatley a huge difference from the crappy odd shifter, as well as gears 1, 3 and 5 seem to be a little shorter as well. It also moved closer to me due to the angle of the lever which I actually liked as the 5 speed swap that the previous owner swapped in had moved the shifter way forward and made shifting feel strange as I had to lean forward a little to go into the 1, 3, and 5 gears.

Now I did try the brass bushing install but didn't have much luck, they seem to be 1mm oversize to the stock 4 speed lever hole. I tried but not very hard to press them in with my mini vise at my house but didn't have any luck. I already had 2 new bushings that I ordered months ago to put in so I just popped them in and put it back together.

Also the holes in the brass bushings seemed to be too large for the stock retaining pin. It allowed more free play than the new factory bushings did, the retaining pin I used was brand new.

Not trying to discourage anybody from giving it a try, just posting my experience with it the other night.

Switching to the 4 speed lever was definately a huge improvement.

I agree, that link was a huge help to me as well as I have the same odd ball shift lever as Konish and the creator of that link.

Went a grabbed the 4 speed shift lever from the free L24 and 4 speed trans deal I got, cleaned it up and installed the new original plastic bushings and it dropped right in. Definatley a huge difference from the crappy odd shifter, as well as gears 1, 3 and 5 seem to be a little shorter as well. It also moved closer to me due to the angle of the lever which I actually liked as the 5 speed swap that the previous owner swapped in had moved the shifter way forward and made shifting feel strange as I had to lean forward a little to go into the 1, 3, and 5 gears.

Now I did try the brass bushing install but didn't have much luck, they seem to be 1mm oversize to the stock 4 speed lever hole. I tried but not very hard to press them in with my mini vise at my house but didn't have any luck. I already had 2 new bushings that I ordered months ago to put in so I just popped them in and put it back together.

Also the holes in the brass bushings seemed to be too large for the stock retaining pin. It allowed more free play than the new factory bushings did, the retaining pin I used was brand new.

Not trying to discourage anybody from giving it a try, just posting my experience with it the other night.

Switching to the 4 speed lever was definately a huge improvement.

The bronze door hinge bushings are a great upgrade. You need lube in order for them to work. When pressed in the lever they will get downsized so much that the pin won't slip in, then use more lube and press the pin using the vice, this will allow the pin to form the bushing to the tight tolerance. Then using a pair of pliers you can free it up so it won't stick. The you will need to file the flats of the bushings down, just enough to fit between the tranny ears.