HybridZ

A question for those of you who have stripped the undercoating

SoCalJack

QUOTE: "I am going more for function over form."

What am I missing here? If you are stripping it, i.e.; removing it, why would you put the undercoat back on the car? If you are repairing rust or doing some kind of body work at the wheel well area, I would re undercoat it with the rattle can stuff from an auto parts store. If, on the other hand, you are removing it to lighten your can, repainting will do the job.

Why am I stripping it? I dont know how I got started on that, I borrowed a sandblaster and started blasting everything....

So I am thinking that paint would look better, but would chip and have to be repaired more often than undercoating. I am not worried about weight, mostly longevity. I was just going to put undercoating back on, but some friends suggested paint instead...

I just scrapped every small piece of undercoating off my 73 240 and I am going to just put 3 to 4 coats of Zerorust back under it.

My car will only be driven in good weather and if it gets wet I'll put a fan under it untill dry. The reason I am not putting undercoating back is I want to see rust when it first starts and it will be easier to fix without all of the "tar" under there.

I'll let you know in 20 years how it went!

I just scrapped every small piece of undercoating off my 73 240 and I am going to just put 3 to 4 coats of Zerorust back under it.

My car will only be driven in good weather and if it gets wet I'll put a fan under it untill dry. The reason I am not putting undercoating back is I want to see rust when it first starts and it will be easier to fix without all of the "tar" under there.

I'll let you know in 20 years how it went!

Very good point.

Luckily I live in on the West coast in CA so it RARELY rains. So, for me I'll be removing the undercoating, fixing any rust, and then prepping with the POR sprays, and then coating with POR-15. I've heard nothing but good things for this stuff. I'm not worried about weather conditions, seeing as I only drive my car when its not raining, and it is garaged throughout the year.

Good luck to ya . . . I've heard its a PIA to remove the undercoating! I'm not really looking forward to it, but its got to happen sooner or later!

Actually it wasnt bad with a sandblaster. I just wish I had a bigger compressor, but I am borrowing the compressor and the blaster for FREE, so I cannot complain too much.

I hope to keep the car around for a long time, so I want to do this right. When I get the floor pans finished and the motor in, she will be my daily driver.

I think I am going to do truck bedliner. I think that will be the most durable for the long haul.

Any thoughts on truck bedliner?

Thank you all for your input, keep it coming!

The duplicolor bed liner they sell in most auto parts stores is garbage. I painted my engine bay with the stuff and it is already starting to peel in spots. The roll on stuff they sell at some of the paint shops isn't too fantastic either, lasted about a year in my toyo pickup. I have heard really good things about Zolotone (spelling?), yet to use it myself.

Luckily I live in on the West coast in CA so it RARELY rains. So, for me I'll be removing the undercoating, fixing any rust, and then prepping with the POR sprays, and then coating with POR-15. I've heard nothing but good things for this stuff. I'm not worried about weather conditions, seeing as I only drive my car when its not raining, and it is garaged throughout the year.

Good luck to ya . . . I've heard its a PIA to remove the undercoating! I'm not really looking forward to it, but its got to happen sooner or later!

Sandblasted to bare metal. POR, on top & bottom; POR Tie Coat, 3M Undercoat (the version you spray on with a simple air gun) and final color coat on bottom.

Applied 4 years ago and rust free.

Stock undercoating inside the car not a problem: Freeze it and bang it off with a single jack and wide masonry chisle. If you live in Minnesota, two Winter days parked outside and a hammer will do it. Other wise, use dry ice. Three hour job..... includes beer.