HybridZ

Northeast version of the Cali Z Kit.

cygnusx1

Yes, Josh...when I sit on the seats in front of my wood stove, I pretend I'm driving my Z up the PCH with a blazing sun. It's not a bad alternative to driving the Z on the salty roads covered with ice patches. I can even carry an open container, legally!

Man I LOVE that old antiquey Victorian look! Why do you have the fireplace blocked off or whatever?

I'm coming up to Boston/Rhode Island in January! My grandma lives in the historical section of Bristol, Rhode Island. Only heater is the heat from the stove. :P

Did I mention I LOVE that ♥♥♥♥? haha

I'm the type of dude that likes Frontier House on PBS where they live in Montana for like 5 months and have to their own log cabins and all that stuff. I'm like a jungle man.

That fireplace was built in 1926 when the landscape was just beginning it's death as farmlands. The forests were re-growing in the area. Many of the stone walls that run for miles in the woods were built by the rock-clearing of farm land. These walls were robbed to build the chimneys and homes of the area. This chimney originally formed the gable end of a single room cabin along the dirt farm road. The only parts of the original cabin, are this room's floor substructure and the chimney. My main beam in the crawlspace is still a tree on it's side. The chimney was built with local stones, and mortared with mud and hay(Farmer's Fiberglass). Just recently, I poured a 24" high, concrete girdle around the base of the loose chimney. Then my dad and I scraped out about 2" of mud from the entire exterior face, all the way around, to re-point it with cement. I sealed off the fireplace with an iron frame, sheet metal, and some aluminum trim work, to install the catalytic wood stove. The fan on top of the stove is thermo-electric. It converts heat-flow into electric current to run the fan. The water trough is stainless steel, and the log holder is wrought iron, the stoves foot pads are nylon spun in a lathe, all fabbed up by my dad back in his machinist days. The foot pads keep the stove from crawling across the hearth. They do that you know! Yes, they do.

I thought people would get the joke, but apparently it was too vague.

(the story behind the Z seats in front of the stove has to do with softening the vinyl for reupholstering them) It was 24 degrees and icy outside when I took the photo. Not Z weather at all!

Keeps embers from flying all over the place when the wood pops when it burns. I've melted a couple spots on my girlfriend's carpet from forgetting to close the curtains on the fireplace :flamedevi
We put a spot in the floor the other day from that. It popped when I was sitting in front of it as well and scared the crap outta me...

It's a nice home...on the smaller side of the average American home. I just wish it had more than a one car garage. I was thinking the other day that my sons bedroom is right behind the living room on ground level. When he moves out, I can replace the dividing wall with a glass wall, put in a garage door and park the Z right next to the living room where I can see it through the glass wall! My son is almost three! LOL.