HybridZ

love the junk yard

zcar?

I made my way to the Junkyard today for some weatherstripping. Yanked some from a 95 cadavalier coupe for my doors, and one strip from a jeep cherokee for the hatch. Found a few lengths of monster cable in the process. All in all a sucessful trip. Though the prices at this JY suck... Ecology in Oceanside. 9.95/seal! Findiing the monster cable made it worth it at least.

And the 95 cavalier weatherstrip lines up well and all.... but I hope it breaks in some, because the doors are not at all easy to close. And i found some more PO stupidity... covering up things with black duct tape, because cleaning and painting parts is too much trouble. Its lucky i decided to do the w-strip today, caught some cancer starting up under it!

Joe

Edited by JoeinCA
extra critical activity

Joe,

I'm not convinced as you are that Benito and HarrisonTX are post whoring. Neither of them are newbies. The thread has an interesting topic and there are many of us that would love to hear about the goodies obtained from the JY at sick low prices. The thread has potential in itself. Your post comes across as extremely judgemental and assumes quite a lot--did I read the same posts you did? Did you have a bad day when you posted????

Davy

Joe,

I'm not convinced as you are that Benito and HarrisonTX are post whoring. Neither of them are newbies. The thread has an interesting topic and there are many of us that would love to hear about the goodies obtained from the JY at sick low prices. The thread has potential in itself. Your post comes across as extremely judgemental and assumes quite a lot--did I read the same posts you did? Did you have a bad day when you posted????

Davy

Corrected. Just a long day... battling too tight weatherstrip can be annoying. Add recent experience wih porsche forums, mix with 3rd gen camaro forums (digging for info for friend's cars and such)... anyhow, my bad.

I love the 'wife rationalization' ofthe costs involved.

When you buy $50 at a junkyard, you got $50 worth of parts. That's what makes junkyards great, there is no marketing involved. a Momo Steering wheel that sells for $500 in the Sports Accessories Shop sells for $2 there in the JY.

And likely, that's about a 400% profit on what it cost to produce anyway.

Junkyards are the Ayn Rand Equivalent of Automotive Stores, everything trading for it's worth, and not what someone says it's worth!

The only way you got $3000 worth of parts for $50 is if you resold them for that much.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm a hoarder. I don't sell what booty I privateer out of JY's.

When you buy $50 at a junkyard, you got $50 worth of parts. That's what makes junkyards great, there is no marketing involved. a Momo Steering wheel that sells for $500 in the Sports Accessories Shop sells for $2 there in the JY.

Junkyards are the Ayn Rand Equivalent of Automotive Stores, everything trading for it's worth, and not what someone says it's worth!

The only way you got $3000 worth of parts for $50 is if you resold them for that much.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm a hoarder. I don't sell what booty I privateer out of JY's.

I am a hoarder also but I just recently decided to thin the collection. Moving and things need to go

Its more than Zstuff volvo subaru chevy etc

True. I tend to hoard, Ive forced myself to get better though.. but sometimes when you find something cool, you just cant help yourself.

I picked up "Atlas Shrugged" the other day, I havent gotten the chance to really sit and read it though... Maybe tomorrow while i wait for the rtv to dry...

Joe

I filled a 720 full of Nissan and Mercedes parts (not to mention multiple EDIS Setups) on the last 50 dollar day at the JY. Now I have no space to work on my cars around all of my winnings. Some may view that as a Problem, I think it's a blessing.

I filled a 720 full of Nissan and Mercedes parts (not to mention multiple EDIS Setups) on the last 50 dollar day at the JY. Now I have no space to work on my cars around all of my winnings. Some may view that as a Problem, I think it's a blessing.

were you at grade A on Saturday? I filled my Volvo V70 up with a ton of volvo Z Audi and Jaguar parts.

Here's something to think about concerning junk yards; I don't know what it is like in other areas of the country but out here in 93004 and also the three yards off the 5 in the San Fernando Valley, they are filled with nothing but clunkers (from the Cash for Clunkers program) with frozen motors.

I am not sure if it is a California thing but one of the owners says they have six months to part them out/ get rid of them.

So right now, these junk yards are filled with nothing but clunkers, no junkers (i.e. Z's except a good amount of 300zx's).

One day when it has come to pass, I'll tell you where I am getting all these parts that I am flooding the market with (heehee).

No, it's legal...