HybridZ

Computer help with Excel 2007...

josh817

Alright guys... I have a saved file on my desktop from when I did an Excel 2007 spreadsheet of my money. I go to open it again but it needs a program to open it with (brings me to "Open With/Choose Default Program" screen). At this point you should say well duh, Excel 2007, but thats not an option on the list:

3025s8n.jpg

So I click "Browse" and navigate to the folder which contains all the Start Menu shortcuts which would be "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft Office" and then I chose Microsoft Excel 2007.

So I think all is well however:

10f3p5e.jpg

However! If I go to the Start menu and open a blank Excel Spreadsheet, then go to "Open File" and navigate to the one on the desktop, it works fine. My own thing is that I don't want to do that process every time, I want to be able to double click and have it open.

Suggestions? :-|

xlsx is the standard extension for Excel 2007. it should open simply by double-click... which is what he's trying to do. it sounds like the registry association with xlsx got hosed somehow.

has it always had this behavior? does the same happen for *.xls files?

is reinstalling office 2k7 an option for you?

I was thinking he made the 2007 file on a different computer and doesn't have 2007 on his home PC.

I had that association issue at work when they did an office upgrade but I can't remember how I fixed it. I think it was some setting in Excel itself.

xlsx is the standard extension for Excel 2007. it should open simply by double-click... which is what he's trying to do. it sounds like the registry association with xlsx got hosed somehow.

has it always had this behavior? does the same happen for *.xls files?

is reinstalling office 2k7 an option for you?

I'll try that path.

See what happened was my 2007 trial ran out after 30 days of buying the computer so I installed like a Microsoft Works 2003 which had Excel and Microsoft Word Processor, although I used Open Office for papers. So I made a file using 2003, not a problem, well then I got 2007, I know you're going to say well you must have a compatability issue. No. I just redid my stuff in a 2007 file so its saved as a .xlsx file. Now all my files are up to date with 2007 so I went ahead and deleted the old 2003 file and uninstalled Microsoft Works 2003.

Like I said, I can still open my 2007 Excel file, I just have to open a blank sheet >>> open file >>> choose location. I can't just simply double click on the file like I would with a 2007 word document.

I also can't just right click on my desktop >>> New >>> choose New Excel 2007 file, because its not in the list of files I can create.

This is what I see when I go to that extension:

2rfsyev.jpg

The excel.exe extension didn't work, said the file didn't exist, as you saw above.

Maybe I try reinstalling...

Welcome to the Microsoft Haters Club.

Why it do dat? Only Bill knows.

I don't delete ANYTHING anymore, their craptastic backwards compatibility/incompatibility is legendary. I was going to say save it in the new format and you should be able to reopen it then later. Should.

As usual, Microbloat software never fails to fail. Good Luck.

I would have kept it in 2003, and run it in 2003. As long as I could.

JeffP still runs 98 on his home stuff...

Such is life, especially during certain times for me since I'm running Vista 64 bit... When I do google searches you have to put into consideration that its a 64 bit and honestly, I haven't a clue what that means, I just know circumstances are different for 64 bit owners sometimes... Oh well.

Did you try the first option in recommended programs, '2007 microsoft office component'? If that didn't work, find excel.exe and point 'open file with' to it, try using windows search if you can't find it by looking. Also you could try right clicking on the shortcut in the start menu and going to properties and looking in the target line, I'm not sure if that works the same in vista though.

Welcome to the Microsoft Haters Club.

Why it do dat? Only Bill knows.

I don't delete ANYTHING anymore, their craptastic backwards compatibility/incompatibility is legendary. I was going to say save it in the new format and you should be able to reopen it then later. Should.

As usual, Microbloat software never fails to fail. Good Luck.

I would have kept it in 2003, and run it in 2003. As long as I could.

JeffP still runs 98 on his home stuff...

2003 has a plugin from MS that allows it to open 2007 files, at least word does, haven't tried excel. '07 should open all '03 files without a problem.

I do wish bill hadn't stolen my xbox though....

So pointing to the Excel.exe didn't work? You can also open My Computer and click on Tool, Folder Options and then choose the File Types tab. Find the .xlsx and click on Change for Open with. Then choose Excel in the in the list. If it is not listed then Browse to the Office 12 folder and choose the Excel.exe file. That should fix it.

If xlxs is not listed you may have to create it. If this does not work, just reinstall it.

Did you try the first option in recommended programs, '2007 microsoft office component'?

Yah that was my first try which was a result from me navigating to the Start menu shortcut. As you saw, it said the file wasn't a Win32 application or whatever.

So pointing to the Excel.exe didn't work? You can also open My Computer and click on Tool, Folder Options and then choose the File Types tab. Find the .xlsx and click on Change for Open with. Then choose Excel in the in the list. If it is not listed then Browse to the Office 12 folder and choose the Excel.exe file. That should fix it.

I showed a picture of my Office12 folder and there is no Excel.exe. I don't understand how it would be able to open, without an executable file...

Alright I got it to work.

Remember how I said Vista 64bit is sometimes different?

Well it sorts programs out from 32 bit and 64 bit. 32 bit programs go to a folder named "Program Files (x86)" where as 64 bit compatible programs get installed to the regular "Program Files".

Microsoft installed folders in BOTH Program Files (x86) and Program Files folders, but the one that has the executable file is the Program Files (x86) one (the 32 bit program folder).

Phew, out of breath.

Now I can double click on any excel 2007 file and it will open as usual.

Alright I got it to work.

Remember how I said Vista 64bit is sometimes different?

Well it sorts programs out from 32 bit and 64 bit. 32 bit programs go to a folder named "Program Files (x86)" where as 64 bit compatible programs get installed to the regular "Program Files".

Microsoft installed folders in BOTH Program Files (x86) and Program Files folders, but the one that has the executable file is the Program Files (x86) one (the 32 bit program folder).

Phew, out of breath.

Now I can double click on any excel 2007 file and it will open as usual.

Can you just copy the files over to the regular 64bit program files directory, then? (keeping them in both locations) It would hog up some space, but it seems like it would work.