HybridZ

Looking for info on Z modifications

Hi!

I hope to get some help from You guys!

I bought a 280Z recently, and want to register it in Poland as a vintage car.

It is a special category for special vehicles and it has important to me advantages. There are some restrictions though. One is that I need a 75% originality of the car... and my Z has willwoods, and coilovers on 4 corners.

The question is:

Does anybody know if those modifications were made at the time Datsuns were in production?

Thanks

Hi!

I hope to get some help from You guys!

I bought a 280Z recently, and want to register it in Poland as a vintage car.

It is a special category for special vehicles and it has important to me advantages. There are some restrictions though. One is that I need a 75% originality of the car... and my Z has willwoods, and coilovers on 4 corners.

The question is:

Does anybody know if those modifications were made at the time Datsuns were in production?

Thanks

No, they are made by arizona z car. Thats your one free handout. Now learn to use the search function.

Well, I know who makes them, and I always use search option before asking anything on any forum.

What You should learn is to understand people who use english as their second/third language, and might need some extra help from such a skilled members like you.

What I wanted to find out is if the conversions mentioned by me in the first post (4 disc brakes, coilovers) were made to Zs at the time they were produced. E.g. - somebody bought a Z in 1976 and than went to a racing-shop and did those conversions to have better driveability.

Thanks

This sounds like an awkward situation.

Being unfamiliar with the laws in your country regarding vehicle importation, most of us are at a severe disadvantage. On top of that, alot of us are Americans, so some of us kind of ignore the fact that other countries exist. Sorry about that!!! :mrgreen:

The modifications that you mentioned are in no way stock or factory, and although they may have been somewhat contemporary I doubt it would count as "original." In other words, unless "period-correct modification" is allowed I would say the suspension and brake mods count against "originality." Coil-overs are basically just macpherson struts with adjustable height, though, and brake upgrades (especially something as simple as adapting Wilwoods to the car) have been around as long as we have had race cars... so I may be wrong.

There are a few European members here (one i believe is frank280ZX but that may be frankS280ZX or some other variant.)

You might want to try to send a PM to one of the moderators requesting a title change for your thread indicating that you are in Europe and have questions regarding importing a vehicle. Or start a new thread with a different title.

Thanks for the advice - I will ask them :).

However, I don't think that I need to prove that wilwoods were used in 70's. It would be enough to get some info of any 4 disc brake setup being used in racing Zs from 70's. Some pictures, maybe advertisments will do the trick. Same goes with coilovers...

Any idea where should I look for it?

Daeron: You are right on the originality issue with suspension and brakes - there is no way they will go as original parts. However, if I prove that those modifications are "period-correct" I will have strong argument in fighting for my Zs "vintage car status". :)

I don't think that changing the title to one regarding importing is what I should do - I want to find some info on Racing Zs from 70's and modifications from that period :). I will ask them to change the title to a more precise one or move the thread where it belongs.

Thanks!

Sorry I misunderstood what you were looking for, I didn't think about English so I won't be an @**. I believe they did use coilovers and 4 wheel disks in racing on the datsun's back in the day. Even if you threw ZG's on there it should still be period correct. The info below doesn't state there were 4 wheel disks or coil overs, but every trick part known in that day means it had disks, and I'm pretty sure we had coil overs then as well.

1972 DATSUN 240Z

The old race car. Bought it new in 1972, and sold it in 1980, but this is where the love affair began with this breed of cars. Mostly fiberglass, 280 block .40 over, early 240 head with triple Mikuni Solex carbs and every trick part known then. Car weighed 2100 pounds and turned out 310 bhp. Handled like a dream! Won a LOT.

Picture of this car.

racecar.jpg

If you're looking for old race-car information, including if any cars ran what kind of components you'd like to run, and may not be able to find such a race-car, PM TonyD. He probably has a race-car that will get you in, either in the states or Japan.

Though you may be able to just tell the authorities that it is all stock, since it's VERY unlikely that they would know that 4 wheel disc brakes weren't availible of not in the 70's. Much Less any other parts So likely you wouldn't have to worry about it. Beside that, 75% originality is still very easy to prove. it's 3/4 of the car. so all body panels, seats glass and engine would qualify as 75% I would think.

Phar

I was thinking the exact same thing that Phar wrote...

Having zero experience registering cars in Poland, I would still advise you to talk to someone else who has gone through the process. I would thnk that they would be able to tell you if the inspection is detailed and thorough enough to know what is original and what isn't.

Look at the rule sets for US based vintage racing organizations. You have similar racing organization all over Europe and their rule sets would lits what was run on the cars back in the day. Here's one from the US:

http://www.vararacing.com/

The rule book is here and you'll be looking for the CP rules for info about what was allowed on race cars run through 1972:

http://www.vararacing.com/content/5123.pdf

Again, there are a bunch of similar organizations in Europe (and even Poland I bet) that have rule sets based on what was raced back in the 1970s.

CP Supplemental for 240z (new for 2009)

Engine:

L24 (2393cc) Bore x stroke 3.2677” x 2.90” Max .060 overbore

Head material……….aluminum / Cylinder head must be series produced by manufacturer for make and model

Block material………cast iron

Carburetion…………. (2) Hitachi HJG 46W or SU equivalent, (3) 44PHH Mikuni or (3) Weber 45DCOE carbs or equivalent

Ignition:

Electronic ignition is permitted and must be triggered by a distributor

Substitution of any alternator is permitted; if no charging system, add 25# to official weight

Transmission:

Datsun…………………….4 or 5 speeds, ratios free

Standard gearbox may be replaced with an alternate production based gearbox of the same number of forward speeds.

Add 75 lbs. to official weight

Chassis:

2 door, uni-body coupe, steel body, independent rear suspension

Wheelbase: 90.7”

Track dimension: front…54”, +/- 2” rear…54”, +/- 2”

Official weight, measured without driver:

(Hitachi/SU)...2000#

(Mikuni/Solex/Weber/OER)...2075#

Example: 240z with (3) Webers, Disc rear brake / 2075# + 25# = 2100#

Suspension:

Suspension: MacPherson strut w/coil spring; front hydraulic strut w/coil spring; rear

Spring mounting points on struts may be moved or made adjustable

Springs, sway bars, etc. are free as long as track remains correct

Flywheels, clutches, drive shafts, axles, universals, CV joints, hubs and all gear ratios are free.

Upper front and rear strut mounts may be made adjustable for camber and caster. Must use factory mounting holes.

Brakes:

P/N 99996-E7008 or Lockheed CP2271, 1.5” front caliper or equivalent

P/N 99996-E7007 or Lockheed CP2270, 1.625” front caliper or equivalent

Rear disc brakes, P/N 99996-E7107 or Lockheed CP2382, 2” rear caliper or equivalent

2-piece rotors of correct diameter (aluminum hat & steel rotor) allowed

11” or 11.5” vented rotors

Rear Disc Brake add #25

Wheels:

7” x 15” Maximum “Any Offset allowed as long as track remains correct”. Maximum width measured to outside of tire

tread is 66”.

Bodywork:

P/N 98300-E8100 or BRE/240-Z “Spook” or Sharp type flat aluminum spoiler, not to exceed 280 sq. in., totally

between the wheel centerlines. (This plate should be mounted at approx. 45 degree angle, completely below the hub

centerlines and behind the foremost body part)

P/N 98100-E3300 or BRE/240-Z equivalent rear fiberglass spoiler not to exceed 4” tall

P/N 63900/63901-E4126 equivalent plastic or metal headlight covers

Bumpers, headlights, parking lights may be removed

Fiberglass Body Panels allowed but car must meet Min. weight

Wheel openings must remain standard when viewed from the side. NO Alternate flares except FACTORY TYPE

Edited by johnc

I also was thinking the same as Jon and Phar. However, the book How to HOTROD & RACE YOUR DATSUN 1994 By Bob Waar. is a era correct book that has all of the old factory optional components listed that were and are available through Datsun/Nissan Competition. If they were dealer options and or factory race parts you will probably be able to get away with it. As long as there are not any classic Datsun freaks were you are registering the car, I would think it should pass easily. Breaks and suspension do not add up to a large percent of the car. G noses and ZG flair are all factory parts that were available through Nissan and much more. The book is a cheap way to check things out and if any questions are raised, you have the book to show anyone who might question you the factory Nissan parts numbers.: