HybridZ

Tips for getting fluid in

Lazyeye

I'm at the point of putting the gear oil back into my 5-speed. Its mounted already, so I need to operate from underneath or through the shifter hole in the cabin.

I tried using a length of thin hose on the nozzle of the oil bottle, but it seems like oil just wasn't flowing. I tried using a bulb/syphon pump, but it wouldn't move the oil at all...

Can you give me some tips for getting the oil to flow, and getting it into the tranny? Is there a specific pump or something that works well for this?

I bought a pump from kragen/autozone that screws on to pretty much any quart size bottle. The syphon one didnt work for me either. Then I just got under the car and removed the fill plug (or the sensor right next to it, if the fill plug is frozen) and pump it in that way. It worked real well for me.

I took a large plastic food container, cut a small hole at the bottom corner, stuck some fairly large diameter clear tube (thin wall for large inner diameter plus you can see the oil) in to the hole (make sure it's a tight fit), placed the container in the car, ran the tube to the fill hole, then just took the top off the gear oil bottle, poured it in and went off to do other stuff. I think it took about an hour to drain in and I had a 1/4 pint too much (residual still in the transmission) so it overflowed, but once it was set up, it was easy.

One of those plastic coffee cans would work great.

Do you have an air compressor?

I used the gear oil bottle, and found a good length of hose the went to the bottom of the bottle. Then cut the top just enough to slide the tube in through. Added liberal amounts of duct tape to seal said hose to the cap on the bottle. Then poked a hole near the top to put the blower fitting for my air compressor in. Pressurize the bottle with some compressed air and the fluid should come out of the hose. Simple and easy!

I removed the fill plug from the tranny and fitted a 90 degree brass fitting with a straight hose fitting attached. A piece of heavy tubing (with the impregnated cord) was run up and affixed to the firewall. Another hose fitting with a thread cap was attached there. I measure out the proper amount of lube and pour it into the hose with a funnel and then replace the cap. Done. Unless you have a huge leak at the transmission there's no reason to check the fluid level again. If you drain it later you refill it from under the hood. Clean and simple.

And another piece of advice. Don't fill the trans with the rear end on jack stands and the front wheels on the ground. For some dang reason about 15% of the 2 litres you're trying to put in refuses to stay there and ends up on the ground!

Jim

And another piece of advice. Don't fill the trans with the rear end on jack stands and the front wheels on the ground. For some dang reason about 15% of the 2 litres you're trying to put in refuses to stay there and ends up on the ground!

Jim

Let me guess, this is another of those "Ask me how I know" pieces of advice :)