HybridZ

s130 vortec 4.3 LF6

Calico

i have been looking around over at the s10 forums and have been curious about swappin in the vortec 4.3 in to the s130. jagsthat run has a kit for em, it should be pretty affordable and i could retain the sleeper apeal that i want with keepin the 280zx a v6 as opposed to a v8. I was also lookining to the forced induction option. wiether it be turbo, supercharger or n20. jsu curious if anyone has looked into this?

I think that's a good swap knowing that GM's vortec V6 motors are real good

it's pretty much the corvette motor but missing the 2 extra cylinders

much easier swap is to aquire the 4.3 vortec V6 off the syclone/typhoon engine already turbocharged 280hp is a real good start, yeah there hard to get cheap but if you can find just the motor alone is well worth it.

Guest Rolling Parts

Same cost and effort as a V8 but less power, less torque. The heavier/wider S130 is just made for a bigger cubic inch engine. The 4.3 not a bad engine, just not that big a leap up from a warmed over L28ET. It'd be a little different though...

Same cost and effort as a V8 but less power, less torque. The heavier/wider S130 is just made for a bigger cubic inch engine. The 4.3 not a bad engine, just not that big a leap up from a warmed over L28ET. It'd be a little different though...

erm... so if what you're saying is true, then wouldn't the 4.3 V6 be better than the stock little 2.8?

The heavier thing is just a myth, and even at that, the S130 is STILL not that heavy. ;)

I'm not sure on the actual specs of that 4.3 but from driving s-10s the way they feel I would suspect a noticible lack of low-mid torque and just general umph as opposed to a warmed over l28,

for the cash and effort involved it'd make more since to put QUIET mufflers on a v8 and not show off with the hood up to keep your sleeper appeal.

Guest Rolling Parts
erm... so if what you're saying is true, then wouldn't the 4.3 V6 be better than the stock little 2.8?

The heavier thing is just a myth, and even at that, the S130 is STILL not that heavy. ;)

I'm saying that for the exact same effort, you can drop in a V8 and really make a gain. Anything is doable but some things are so much more worth while.

No, if you have a T-Top 280ZX GL then you have the heaviest L6 Z car ever made, no myth to that. It's cubic inches that will wake up the car and going from a small 6 to a medium 6 is a yawner.

As soon as I hit the Mega Bucks in Vegas I will put a BMW M3, Straight 6, 330 HP, 255 ft/lbs in my 280zx.

Regarding Super Chargers: I had a super charged Nissan Maxima (Stillen Kit). In my experiences (mostly bad), have a super charger that has the drive belt pulley mounted facing away from the engine, so that the belt can be changed without having to remove the entire SC, to get to the pulley to put a new belt on (belts tend to fly-off, break).

The S130 is a great car to do engine conversions with, they have a better chassis than the S30 and heaps of engine bay space. Its only the extra comfort junk and targa tops which can make them heavier than the S30, targa tops should not be seen on a performance car anyway.

Maybe any engine kits for the S30 could be adapted for the S130?

Guest Rolling Parts
.. Its only the extra comfort junk and targa tops which can make them heavier than the S30

Nope, it's mostly the SAFETY stuff that makes it heavier. Have you ever held a 280ZX door in you hands? A 280ZX rear bumper? A humongous 280ZX rear hatch? That 810 derived support for the differential? Basically there is no way in hell that you can blame the extra 600 pounds on a tin targa strip or leather covering on the seats.

That's fine, because if you go to a 400hp V8 you might want all the stiffness and safety features that are already in the 280ZX. Also, since the engine bay and hood is 2" wider, it's much easier to work on.

Yeh well I was thinking JDM, they don't have that safety stuff, my 80 model doesn't anyway. But basically you are right, its mostly safety requirements which have increased car weights since the S30. Plus engineers have realised that stiffer chassis = less NVH.

And PPK, you can't convert your PS to the rack type?

I'm running an S-30 header in my manual steering S-130, the rod sits almost against the header but a sheet of paper slips right between them. it apparently makes enough contact through vibrations to knock the rust off the rod in that spot, but that was before I cleaned and painted the bay

Guest Rolling Parts
Yeh well I was thinking JDM, they don't have that safety stuff,

The JDM S130 is not lighter than the JDM S30.

What the S130 has is a generation better chassis stiffness and aerodynamics.

The engine conversion kits for the L24 and the L28 are identical.

V8 and V6 headers will be the same type as well.

Nope, it's mostly the SAFETY stuff that makes it heavier. Have you ever held a 280ZX door in you hands? A 280ZX rear bumper? A humongous 280ZX rear hatch? That 810 derived support for the differential? Basically there is no way in hell that you can blame the extra 600 pounds on a tin targa strip or leather covering on the seats.

Have you ever weight any of those parts in a 78 280z? The S130 is comparable in weight to the late 280z's.

Guest Rolling Parts
Have you ever weight any of those parts in a 78 280z? The S130 is comparable in weight to the late 280z's.

Yep, US Spec only. The S130 has heavier bumpers, doors, hatch, rear suspension and hood. It's really a dumb question because anyone concerned about weight never goes for a late ZX-GL or a late S30. Both are real odd-ball cars because if you want light you go with the 79ZX(non-GL) or the 240(or early 1973 260Z). Since he has a beefy late 280ZX-GL then more torque of the V8 is worth the zero additional effort and zero additional cost...