HybridZ

What do you think of this car?

It looks very clean and original. All the important parts look straight, even the frame rails. Doesn't seem overpriced at all. The 260Z isn't the most desireable, but it is lighter than the 280Z and has better reinforcement than the 240Z. And it has the 240Z wrap around bumpers vs the much uglier and heavier 280 bumpers.

It's a z ! :-) looks like a good deal to me.

• Administrators

You thinking of buying it or are you selling it?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=159705

Car looks fantastic in the pics.

Couple of things in the description.

1) Rarity of the car.

a) It is rare in that it is a one year car, but being the rarest is debatable and that claim has been known to start strong bickering from 240-Z camps. The Series-1 '70 and early 71 240-Z are fewer in number and far more desirable on all a levels making them arguably a rarer Z.

b) Some view the 260-Z, (from a collectors point of view), with its odd mix match of parts used on and in the car during its one year of production, (including the unibody structure itself), as undesirable and somewhat of bastard/abomination. Through the '74 model year, the body and various components were a transition from the 240 to the 280. Some cars even ended up with combinations of these transition parts, i.e. small 240 style front bumper with the larger 280 style rear bumper on the same car! (Seen it in person on couple of 260-Z).

c) From the perspective of using the car as a clean slate from which to build a custom sports car, some guys, including myself, actually prefer the '74 260 over most other years for various reasons, mostly for its date of birth just falling outside of most states transition into smog testing, and the later 260 variants received the heavier, stiffer 280 style frame rails, radiator core support, wider trans tunnel etc. Personally I fall into the customizing crowd, as such, I am fond of the car, regardless of its nuances.

2) The carbs are the earlier dome top style, i.e. not original 260 fare. From a sports car enthusiast/drivers perspective, definitely an upgrade, on all levels, over what came original on the 260-Z. These carbs would only be a deterrent if the perspective buyer was looking for an authentic, original 260-Z.

All in all, the car appears to be in really nice condition. Frame rails are smooth and not beat up, body looks straight, etc. :2thumbs:

That seems like a reasonable opening bid, but if that car is as nice as it seems to be after brief inspection it looks like a car I would love to get my hands on, to be sure!!

It looks like a car that was spared heavy usage simply because it is an automatic, which is easily remedied. Definitely a fanTAStic starting point for... anything.

I agree with all the comments from other member listed above and the judging the car from the pictures, it looks nice and the present price is in the ball park. With that said, you really do need to inspect it in person. If you are buying it as a driver and are ok with the auto transmission, then it's even better. If your plan is to do a bunch of modifications and change to a manual gear box, then the car becomes less desirable. Early cars with good bodies are hard to find and can certainly fetch a higher price. Repairing the body can became very expensive but this one appears to be solid. Apparently you both live in the great state of TX so hit the road, take a close look at it and let us know what you find.

I think it's all a matter of personal taste. You can easily sink $4,000 in any Z for repairs and upgrades. I've seen some extremely nice Z's in that price range. If I had a budget to pay $4,000 up front, I'd hold out for a 70-72. If you like that 260, and prefer an automatic tranny, then you'd be hard pressed to find one in that condition.

Just throwing in my two cents...

Thanks for all the great input. I should have been a little more clear upfront, yes this is my car/ad. I am looking for input around what a prospective buyer might think. How can I improve it, what looks good, what does not, is the price good etc ...

If I were you I would push the angle I mentioned about it being an automatic car and being spared any tough use. "Yah, sure, it is an auto NOW, but it has been for 30 years, so its been driven by old ladies!" Also, believe it or not, pictures of the keys (especially if they still have ANY paint left on them at all?) would be impressive. The words are there, but the pics do the *shiney* yanno?

Overall, I would say the ad was good. I am not a good enough judge of market values to say whether the opening bid was appropriate, but someone bid it already IIRC so it must not be too high, and we will see how high it gets.

I like it. Looks very clean. Bumpers would be converted from the heavier ones.

WRONG! I am surprised you don't know the chassis differences. The Early 74 cars had the skinnies. Some had 280z rear and a skinny front and others had both the 280z style bumpers.

undesirable and somewhat of bastard/abomination.

LOL!

anyways it is an original car, of course it isnt lowered haha.

This comment was made in the context of what some people think. Braap and I both are of the opinion that this is a good year to go for; I personally prefer 74, 75, and 76 to the other years for reasons of my own. (One significant reason is that I see no reason to pay premium for "early cars" when my personal tastes lean more towards the cockpit, gauge and console layout of the 260 and early 280)

His point was that there are reasons to go for ANY particular year of the car, "even though some might consider it somewhat of a bastard."

WRONG! I am surprised you don't know the chassis differences. The Early 74 cars had the skinnies. Some had 280z rear and a skinny front and others had both the 280z style bumpers.

LOL I may know a thing or two. :)

This 260z's body is a late body with 280z sheetmetal panels. The car has the later 280z style front signal lights and is missing the indentations in the rear quarter for the bumper. Also the floorpan indentations are like the 280z body not the early 260z or 240z.

These bumpers are not the same as the early 260z bumpers as the holes for the over riders are in the front face of the bumper and not through the top of the bumper like the early 260z. So the bumpers are likely 240z bumpers.