HybridZ

How and where to install the Adjustable Proportioning Valve?

I think you can pretty much put it anywhere you want. Installation is pretty simple, you just put it inline with the line that runs to your rear brakes. Some people opt to put it inside the cabin but that would require routing new brake lines from the front to the rear of the car. I put mine inside the engine bay inline right after the brake light warning switch. Only a couple new lines were required to hook everything up.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

If you can forgo the ashtray in the console, there is a depression in the top of the trans tunnel next to the emergency brake handle that lends itself well to the proportionig valve location. The original brake line runs right next to the location . If you remove the ashtray from the console and leave the cover in place it is nicely hidden yet right at your figertips.

post-3279-12681480484058_thumb.jpg

Juan240Z - I feel your pain buddy. I've driven my car for years now without the adjustable PV because of the difficulty of putting it into an already assembled car. I also feel your frustration about not being able to get a simple picture that actually shows an adjustable PV installed.

I've been overwhelmed just trying to figure out how to get to the stock one and either pull it out or disable it somehow in place and install the adjustable.

For a street driven car mount it in the engine compartment. When mounted in the passenger compartment its far too easy for you, your kids, the car wash attendant, valet, etc. to bump/play with the knob and screw up your brake bias.

Juan240Z - I feel your pain buddy.  I've driven my car for years now without the adjustable PV because of the difficulty of putting it into an already assembled car. I also feel your frustration about not being able to get a simple picture that actually shows an adjustable PV installed.

I've been overwhelmed just trying to figure out how to get to the stock one and either pull it out or disable it somehow in place and install the adjustable.

I know I have posted this pic at least three times on this forum.

86586587_UiNvy-L.jpg

95777511_48ELi-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

I mounted my adjustable proportioning valve in the same location as the stock valve on '73 and later Z's, which is right on the firewall, next to the brake booster (NOT at the rear of the car like so many people mistakenly claim!). You can see mine in the picture below. It's a little more involved to install an adj. prop valve in '73 and later Z's because the valve uses pressure to the front, right caliper to modulate pressure to the rear brakes. So, you can't just gut the valve, you have to remove it and then splice the gap that now exists in the front brake line (I just made a whole new line). The adj. valve can go in the gap in the rear line.

tn_full_Image012jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Ok i found this video on Youtube...

That video only shows how to do a single flare. Brake lines require a double flare (the flare is folded back in on itself). You want to find instructions specific to making this type of flare, such as this...

http://

Make sure you do a bunch of trial flares so that your very comfortable with the procedure, otherwise you're going to be fighting with lots of leaks.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

ok guys all done today, but I am still confused on one thing??? What type of flaring will I'll be doing to connect my new lines to those two little fittings that are included with the Wilwood proportioning Valve by looking inside the fittings they are both inverted flare's, so the big question now is do I again make a double flare's just like the rest of the lines to connect to these fittings?

Edited by juan240z