HybridZ

The start to something awesome #2

Part 1 can be found here http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=707542&page=6 and here http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=763302.

Quest for power, its always about the quest for power. MORE POWER.

Blow through turbo carb setups have always been my favorite. Better than efi hell no unique and workable yup yup.

Base car 73 240zed in my neck of the woods a complete rarity in one piece let alone solid. Car arrived running like poop Previous owner was some ricer. When i got to his house he asked for 3 grand cash and i did not even start the car i pulled it up on the trailer and off i went.

The night she came home.

P1020347.jpg

P1020346.jpg

P1020349.jpg

P1020350.jpg

P1020345.jpg

The next day it was off to fix all the ricer engine work.

Oh boy fuel vents hooked to each other carbs barfing gas out the front....huge plumes of black smoke from the tail pipe. Enough to make any rotary jealous of its own polluting capabilities.

Knobs 5 turns out on the Su's ph boy....Time to give john twist a call from University motors. (now closed mg garage of 30+ years) Carbs where deemed trash. Hm..... what to do webers who there big guy webers three of them christ not yet i said. Got ahold of Paltech re-builders as i think the z therapy carbs are a little much and hey if the bushings in the linkage lasted 30 years so will some regular rebuilds. Not knocking Z therapy good guys but to me not worth it. A week later my fully rebuilt and plated Carbs arrived.

Excuse the different color here time warp forward(only pic i have)

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/yetterben/240z/?action=view&current=P1020593.jpg

Wow to be back in a Zed again truly amazing...seeing as how i thought i would never get in another one ever again after a 82 almost took my life at the age of 16 into a steal braided guard rail at 80mph. 17 years later i am back in a Z.

So the car is running great lots of power pulls nice fun fun fun......for a week.

Car needed some resto work to the 7 yes 7 layers of paint that where on it. So it was of to my trusty body guy who does work on the side for 30 bucks a hour(sweet deal i know and top notch)

Work begin patching the minor issues the car had two cigarette size holes in the floor pans. Patched welded and 3m seem sealed up. Under the battery tray ugh rotted gone right threw the fender.

Battery tray was done in three pieces best i could as i was alone on this. I cut out all the old crap right down to the frame rail and the fire wall. Bent two pieces for te inside welded them in.

Went outside bent one piece and kind sandwiched the repair. I left about 1/4inch over hang from the stock inner fender non rusted of course to sandwich my plates in. Again 3m seam sealer was used and then por 15 entire inner fender.

Buy this time my guy was hard at work apparently someone sat on my roof or something at one time as it was as wavy as the ocean. So one of the previous tards decided to slap 1/2 inch of mud on the roof. Yah gotta be kidding i said. When i saw the piece of bondo i was like wtf. Needless to say he banged her back into shape and smoothed it over with glaze.

P1020394.jpg

Needless to say the rest of the car was good with only a few minor dings here and there of course a 30+ year old car is never gonna be straight straight without a serious resto and a huge wallet to back it up. My wallet for this job was around 2 grand which worked for me as its a toy for me and will get thrashed at road america and my back roads ALOT.

Here is the rest of the previous owners ding work he thought bondo was the answer to life i guess. My guy knocked out all of these areas and then sanded the car down to what he thought was the original paint (silver)

P1020398.jpg

P1020397.jpg

Now keep in mind i am still fairly young 32 and i did not wanna stick tons of money into paint i knew was gonna get tore the f up on the track. So this is how it turned out all in all it was 1,600 including my ppg paint.

P1020534.jpg

P1020536.jpg

SO that pretty much brings us up to speed................NOT!

I tracked down a used set of triple webers and off i went....ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Holy balls this is the sex...for a week. Then i tracked down a hks turbo box for my triples.

That brings us up to speed installing all my goodies for another turbo blowthrough that will make me smile fom ear to ear and get bad mileage and pollute liek a mutha...maybe even shoot flames like a rotary :)

When i get tired of this i will go efi but old school is where its at for me analog injection is fun for me.

I must thank Tony D for his countless hours of old school tuning knowledge brushing me up on lots of things and just being a rocking dude. Also thanks to Brian at zccjdm for taking the time to help me get a Hks Box.

More pictures to come when i progress further but its pretty much all done just waiting on a few pieces of the puzzle to get here together.

Specs:

l28 f54/p79

5 speed zx

triple 40 dcoe

3 inch all the way from trans cross member.

mileage who care compression 150+/- 5 across the board. Strong sucker

Edited by yetterben

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P1030119.jpg

P1030118.jpg

P1030117.jpg

Oil line will be moved not much going outside i re studded the intake exhaust and installed my intake and header with turbo and down pipe.Carbs will be Beautified sooner or later. Function over beauty at this point.

Few weeks till she is done.

Edited by yetterben

Cool car. Nice find. I like the new paint.

I failed to see what was "ricer" about it when you got it... but maybe things are different in your neck of the woods. ;)

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Much progress over the last week. All my fuel goodies showed up(still waiting on surge tank) Plumbed in all my Earl's fittings. I must say the super stock hose is very nice and very flexible and does not kink until extreme angles. Fired the car up for the first time in about 7 months. Sprang to life and the triples let out a HOWL. Man does it sound good. It quickly drooped back down to my famous 450rpm idle and it sounds good.

Will snap a video later but i got a more work to do. Inter-cooler and to finish up the plumbing on the fuel end.

My only concern at this point is the chokes on the back of the webers. The choke covers are open to atmosphere at the bottom. I had to remove the covers to clear the intake but i am worried about blowing pressure out the back on boost. In theory this should not happen but who knows.

2nd startup

Edited by yetterben

I will take some. But...what i did was cut out all the offending rust. I had a good 1/2 3/4 inch good metal at the bottom near the frame rail. What i did was fab the pieces por 15 the whole area. Tack welded the piece on the inside of engine bay. Tack weld the piece on the outside in the wheel well. Stich weld the whole thing. Suck the pieces together in the middle with rivets. Por15 again and then 3m seam sealer all around to seal the area from air and moisture.

Its not the prettiest fix in the world but this car gets tormented on the street and track. I can say that my repair is better strength wise than when it left the factory.

Edited by yetterben

Pretty soon waiting on surge and still need to drop the tank. Getting nervous.....always nervous first time i blow boost threw a carb on a new car.....Should be good though timing reset to 15 total all in at 3 grand. Car idles at 13.7 and goes down to the 9's wot N/A should be jetted good.

P1030122.jpg

Make your own inlet from the intercooler pipe to the manifold into the HKS Box---you can get rid of the two extra 90 degree transitions that way. Now you see what I mean when I said the Type 2 had a better idea---straight from the front plumbing---I guess they realized that most people were running Intercoolers! :blink:

I think I ran 21 total advance, maybe 18 with the centrifigual advance all in, and then connected the vacuum advance as well. Running premium and only 5-10psi I didn't have issues with spark knock, but I had slotted the breaker plate to allow the vacuum advance to push the plate as a 'pressure retard' as well.

I'll be interested to see how it goes when you get on it. If you have a WBO2 you will see what I mean about the jetting going rich on the top end! "Safe" :D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST. Had a few leaks at first causing some major issues but i am now boosted. Think i still might have another leak. Timing is at 18 and feels like there could be lots more power there. Will play with timing in the morning.

Thanks to TonyD for putting up with my insatiable thirst for knowledge.

side not tach stops at 3 grand... ideas?

Edited by yetterben

Well car has been running good but was a little lean on the top. So i dropped in 145 mains and 190 air correctors. Run's amazing but now i am really rich...man...what do i do now

F IT TURN UP THE BOOST. Running 15psi and afrs are 11.9 all the way to redline. BRING IT ON SUCKERS!!!! lol.