HybridZ

What kind of low pressure pumps or lift pumps are you guys using on your setups?

Zreddy

i cant seem to figure out what brand or where i can buy a low pressure fuel pump or lift pump to fill my surge tank... i know this sounds a bit newb i guess, but i really dont know what or which to get? I've seen other people's setup, but for some dumb reason my mind wont register... lol Can anyone help me out or mention any places where i can get one? If this helps, i will be using a bosch 044 external fuel pump as my main pump to the motor. Plz lmk guys....

thanks

I'm using a Carter 72GPH (like 5psi) off of the stock 240z tank into a surge tank and a Walbro 255LPH off that. So far no issues. I have a bosch 044 on the shelf I'm just waiting for the Walbro to crap out again. I think the Bosch 044 has a higher flow rate than the Walbro but with the line coming off the fuel pressure regulator and going back to the surge tank before the surge tank overflows back to the fuel tank I don't think the transient high fuel demands of the engine will overcome the flow rate of the low pressure lift pump.

I'm using a Carter 72GPH (like 5psi) off of the stock 240z tank into a surge tank and a Walbro 255LPH off that. So far no issues. I have a bosch 044 on the shelf I'm just waiting for the Walbro to crap out again. I think the Bosch 044 has a higher flow rate than the Walbro but with the line coming off the fuel pressure regulator and going back to the surge tank before the surge tank overflows back to the fuel tank I don't think the transient high fuel demands of the engine will overcome the flow rate of the low pressure lift pump.

What is the noise levels like with your setup dwarlick? I don't have my pumps yet either but have the surge tank made. I was thinking of using a 280zx fuel pump as the lift then a Walbro unit up top the engine which is NA so that will flow enough for me.

i cant seem to figure out what brand or where i can buy a low pressure fuel pump or lift pump to fill my surge tank... i know this sounds a bit newb i guess, but i really dont know what or which to get? I've seen other people's setup, but for some dumb reason my mind wont register... lol Can anyone help me out or mention any places where i can get one? If this helps, i will be using a bosch 044 external fuel pump as my main pump to the motor. Plz lmk guys....

thanks

Aeromotive make a line of quality pumps and have a good web site and tech. people who will help with your needs. Be aware that, like other venders of better parts, they are not cheep! aeromotiveinc.com

Edited by Mayolives

What is the noise levels like with your setup dwarlick? I don't have my pumps yet either but have the surge tank made. I was thinking of using a 280zx fuel pump as the lift then a Walbro unit up top the engine which is NA so that will flow enough for me.

The Carter makes very little noise however the noise level of the Walbro is a pretty loud whine. I've burned up two of them and the closer they got to not pumping effectively the louder they got. I am not impressed with these units. I'm hoping the Bosch will last longer. As for the 280zx pump it should work well as a lift pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh totally thought no one was reply to the thread.. haha usually i get an email that someone responded, but everything sounds great...

But yea, i was actually going to try to use a 280zx fuel pump as well.. so i guess i'll try that out and if anything go with the carter pumps...

Thanks for you guy's help...

I have not built a surge tanked fuel system for the Z, but I have for Evo's/STi's nigh on 700 whp. I used a Walbro in-tank 255 Lph pump for the lifter. It doesn't matter since it is simply flowing really high numbers due to it running essentially open discharge (no backpressure) and returning back to the tank. Any decent EFI pump (designed for high pressure) should work just fine and last forever. A stock replacement Z EFI pump is what I would recommend for a cost effective solution, or an external Walbro for a "no worries" solution. In other words, EFI pumps designed to push against 3~4 bar can easily just gush with no resistance.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought high pressure fuel pumps had trouble with the initial "lift" of petrol, and running them dry was not a good idea (ie. not good for the lift pump).

or are they fine as long as you perform some sort of priming first?

I have not built a surge tanked fuel system for the Z, but I have for Evo's/STi's nigh on 700 whp. I used a Walbro in-tank 255 Lph pump for the lifter. It doesn't matter since it is simply flowing really high numbers due to it running essentially open discharge (no backpressure) and returning back to the tank. Any decent EFI pump (designed for high pressure) should work just fine and last forever. A stock replacement Z EFI pump is what I would recommend for a cost effective solution, or an external Walbro for a "no worries" solution. In other words, EFI pumps designed to push against 3~4 bar can easily just gush with no resistance.

I thought high pressure fuel pumps had trouble with the initial "lift" of petrol, and running them dry was not a good idea (ie. not good for the lift pump).

or are they fine as long as you perform some sort of priming first?

Yeah, most high pressure pumps cannot draw to themselves worth a darn. Most that I am aware of. The factory EFI pump is external and below the fuel level. I'd just use that setup just as it is for a basic install. Otherwise, install an internal pump (like the GSS-342), etc.

If I were to go to the trouble of using a surge tanked system on my Z when I get to it, I would probably get a cell that holds a Walbro inside feeding a ~0.5 Gallon surge tank with an 040 pump off of that. If I got suicidal and felt I wanted to build enough power to need two 040's it's easy enough to add another.